Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad came up this weekend for our general season opener. He hunted long yesterday with no success. He with a gun and I had my bow. I didn't hunt this morning. I was however watching a pasture out behind the house and saw a buck I have seen a couple of times about 275 yds away. I had my gun close due to seeing some coyotes earlier in the week. I put it over my shoulder and grabbed my binoculars and started trying to get closer. I got to about 150 yds and started thinking. I didn't want to shoot the deer with my rifle. This is my third bowhunting season. I went back to the house and called my dad on his cell phone while he was on his stand and told him the situation. He decided to get down and come over. We walked up a fence line to a little cut through and my dad was able to get to about 110 yds from the deer. He took the deer with his rifle.

My dad gave me my first shot at a deer at the age of 9 in 1963. He is now 72 years old and still loves to hunt and I'm grateful that he is still able and I'm able to provide him with a place to do it. He's the only one I allow to make gun noise on my property.

Here is his home grown deer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great deer, awesome chocolate antlers. Great job to your dad and yourself for getting him setup on an awesome deer!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great story! I just spent opening weekend with my dad here in Texas. He kept thanking me for spending it with him and I kept telling him I wouldn't miss it for the world!

BTW, your dad does't look 72. You guys have a lot of seasons left to hunt together.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I do enjoy him getting to hunt with me.

We had two deer last year with the chocolate antlers. I think this is one of them. Thing is he had been rubbing them hard from all the "stuff" on them and they stayed that color.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Beautiful antlers on that buck. What a cool experience you had with your father. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing, because it's stories like yours that make coming to this site so enjoyable.:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
I understand completely. My dad killed his first turkey with a bow last night. He has been bow hunting for 40 plus years. It was a nice hen and he was tickled to death. He thanked me for taking him hunting and all that. I told him I am not doing anything that he hasnt done for me. Your dad got a nice deer there, congratulations, keep taking him as long as he is able. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Awesome story and buck. Wish my dad were still around; my fondest memories are of us hunting together. Now I hunt with my own son. Great Hunting!!!:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Great Buck
Looks like your dad is shooting a Savage model 99.
That is a great rifle what caliber is he using??

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PA you are correct on the gun. It is in .308 caliber. Gun belonged to my Grandfather and he gave it to my Dad many years ago. Dad will pass it to me when the time comes. Gun is like new. I've handloaded many bullets for that gun over the years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts