Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had deer spooked by a cover up scent? Last sunday while walking to my stand I walked a little bit to far and had to back track about 20 yrds, after being in the stand about 1 hour 4 big does came up to the place where I turned around to go back to my stand and was spooked by some thing. With tail in the air left quickly. I was using scent free spray on boots and pants legs but on bottom of boots I used a racoon urine, There are racoons in the area. Would using the scent free spray eliminate the cover up scent ?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is just my opinion - from the info you provided I'd say the deer spooked because they got a whiff of human odor from where you turned around.I do not believe it was your cover scent that spooked them,but stranger things have happaned in the deer woods. Just curious - what's your scent control routine?Were you wearing scent control clothing?Did you work up a sweat walking to your stand? Were you wearing gloves that were scent proof and did you touch anything - a deer's nose is hundreds if not thousands times more sensitive than the human nose and I suspect that you left a little human odor where you turned around - judging by how they reacted @ that spot where you turned around. Again - this is just my opinion from the details you gave. Hey - good luck the rest of the season - I hope you arrow a big one!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
spooked deer

On the boots I have heard and do believe that they probably smelled you through your boots. Are they rubber or other kind of sole. I do use **** spray and I have found they still smell me through the rubber boot. Even though I wear clean socks, no detergent soap, HS foot powder, sprayed down boots, and the pant leg over the boots so I have no scent escaping as I walk .My pant legs are scent free as well as my top, and coat. They are also sprayed down, and not put on until I get to where I want to walk in. I do have some boots that are scent free with carbon inside and when I use them and do the above I never see them spook any deer. I have had them follow my scent drag right down to my tree and never smell me. When I now walk with my rubber boots on I clean them, spray them, and also spray **** urine, and also keep them in the back of the truck, and while driving down there I stop and rub them in fresh cow pies. This keep them from smelling me usually. Keep hunting and have fun. Steady

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.