Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if any one would eat the meat off a deer that was left over night and coyotes got its hind quarters.
Would it be ok in taking its back straps and shoulders?
Or is the danger of rabies too much to risk eating that deer?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not positive but I believe that you can only get infected by being bitten or contacting saliva from and infected animal. But there is no way that I would ever consume any meat from a deer or any animal that coyotes have fed on, rabies or not.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, just too risky.

·
Registered
829 Posts
not really sure of your concern, as long as the temps were low I really don't see much harm in taking the loins and shoulders...I think you are being overly cautious...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really sure of your concern, as long as the temps were low I really don't see much harm in taking the loins and shoulders...I think you are being overly cautious...
not worried about the spoilage due to temps but more concerned about getting something else from critters passing on their viruses..

·
BIG FRANK....
8,401 Posts
Ravaged by Coyotes...I wouldn't eat any of it, why chance it...Leave it for the Coyotes, and shoot them.....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've only had this happen to me once and Im not sure if it's due to foxes or a coyote but it was 2hrs after I shot it. I left it for the animals because I just didnt want to take the chance. I hated to leave it behind but I knew it wouldnt go to waste.

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 28 59lb, Easton Axis 5mm 340’s 500gr, TR Alpha 1, QAD HDX, BStinger 8in
14 Posts
It will be fine. I had yotes eat most of a shoulder out of a spike I shot not an hour and a half after I shot it. Took it to the butcher said he sees it happen all the time, he just doesn't use any of the meat around where they were eating. Ate all the meat that it got back and was fine.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I won't eat any deer that coyotes have gotten to. Last year was the first time it happened to me, and they didn't leave me enough to be worth saving anyway.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Any areas that were not chewed on would be fine if the temps are good enough that it hasn't spoiled. There is no blood coursing through the dead deer to transfer anything. People are paranoid.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
What if the deer was still alive when the coyote got to it? How do you know for certain? I just assume be paranoid, it isn't a survival situation and I share my venison with a lot of other people. I would have absolutely no problem eating roadkill, but coyotes have to have an awful lot of (potentially bad) bacteria in their mouths considering what they eat. I'd rather be paranoid than risk the well being of my family and friends.

I would rather have lost the antlers than the meat from my biggest buck to date, but I'm not eating it after the coyotes got to it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Round up a buncha traps and snares and catch all those rats! SUrround that carcass with them

·
Registered
28,259 Posts
I would be leary of the meat too. But I don't have coyotes around me so i have no experience with this sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is what they did, ate the tail only. could be a fox for all I know or *****
yote.JPG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Coyotes got my buck in 2008, they actually didn't touch the hind quarters. They ripped open the guts and ate the intestines and _ss. It was mess. I didn't touch the meat

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you wasted that deer over that.......................well lol that is pretty shamefull!
I processed the deer, and havent wasted any yet. Just not sure about how safe it is to eat it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My ol lady shot a doe last year,took me 2 hours to get to her.But once we started tracking and found the deer,it had the rear end eatin out just like that.Her deer didn't lay dead for anymore then 2.5 hours.We chalked it up to coyotes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts