Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after work I plan on going over to where I hunt during the fall to clear out the coyote population. Suckers are everywhere over there. Problem is I never see them during the summer months. So, it is a rather hot one today. I was debating on sitting about 200 yards away from the pond where everything on the property drinks from. Hopefully, I'll get to see some deer, too. I'd be using my AR15, back against a hedgerow with my ASAT, and the wind would be in my face. Excellent wind today. Anybody have any luck with hunting over water for coyotes? Don't have a distress call so never tried that. I can't say I've actually gone out trying to hunt these fawn killers, but I'm going to give it a go. I'd use the bow but uh even Cam would have accuracy issues that far. :D Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Ok so after work I plan on going over to where I hunt during the fall to clear out the coyote population. Suckers are everywhere over there. Problem is I never see them during the summer months. So, it is a rather hot one today. I was debating on sitting about 200 yards away from the pond where everything on the property drinks from. Hopefully, I'll get to see some deer, too. I'd be using my AR15, back against a hedgerow with my ASAT, and the wind would be in my face. Excellent wind today. Anybody have any luck with hunting over water for coyotes? Don't have a distress call so never tried that. I can't say I've actually gone out trying to hunt these fawn killers, but I'm going to give it a go. Any suggestions?
hunt nights or get dogs. You can try to hunt days but it can be difficult. Get a trapper involved. Use distress calls. All of the above can be tough and sometimes you need to do all to really make an impact.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hunt nights or get dogs. You can try to hunt days but it can be difficult. Get a trapper involved. Use distress calls. All of the above can be tough and sometimes you need to do all to really make an impact.
It is illegal to hunt coyote in TN at night, which is rather stupid when they are complaining about the expanded coyote population.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The majority of my best calling sets have a pond near by. With that said I wouldn't just sit them and hope to catch a coyote coming to water.
Summer isn't the easiest time to call them. They are raising there pups right now. So if I was going to try and draw one in I would play on there maternal instincts. Lots of food for them out there now as well as warm temps. They won't need the high calories to survive.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sounds crazy but this time of year I'd try a Lost Fawn Ma Mah deer call during the day. Never had much luck calling deer with it but the coyotes seem to come.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
use a call, fawn bleat or puppy cries this time of year, good luck, shoot em all

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would try the pup in distress call as said before, they are raising the young right now. If that doesn't work, i would get a bunch of Duke 1 3/4 off sets, and start putting in a bunch of step down dirt hole sets. Traps will be there 24/7 when you are not. Bait with some ground beaver and lure it with some sort of fox urine that has skunk essence in it. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. Traps would be a no go as there are cattle and horses that free roam. I'll try that lost fawn or pup in distress call that seems like a good idea. I didn't have any luck the other night just a bunch of cattle and horses, two turkey, and a skunk lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts