Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals.. I borrowed my buddies ar-15 and im headed out to do some house cleaning on my hunting grounds.

I have a battery operated spinning rabbit and a rabbit in distress call and a howl call..

Ive never hunted them before I know I should be setup down wind as they circle down wind..

But besides that do you guys have any tips or tricks to get them in? I was thinkning of putting out some whole chickens from the store as bait.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
269 Posts
patience... calling yotes brings new meaning to the term "its harder than it looks". dont get too antsy to move after you quit calling, id wait at least 30 min after, they can be coming from a waise away or be coming slow. Ive taken a friend with me and he got too impatient and decided to stand up and move somewhere else and spooked off a dog that had been working its way in slow that we hadnt spotted yet

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I've killed a pile of them. Bait isn't going to work in a one time set up. You will kill them before they even realize bait is there. Bait only works if you can keep baiting them every day then slip on the bait and wait them out.

You got a rifle so you can shoot quite a distance. I would simply walk into your set up with the wind in your face. They most likely will not come from down wind because you just walked through there. Set the caller about 50-75 yards behind you. Sit off about 40-50 yards off the direct line of site where you think the coyotes will enter the set up. They will start to work downwind as they come in however they will be dead before they ever get the chance. I have found most coyotes won't start to try to circle downwind until they are within 100 yards of the caller. They bee line straight for the sound until they get to around that 100 yard mark. If your sitting 75 yards in front of the caller you won't have anything to worry about as they will be dead.

It's all situational I am sure. But most times I am coming in from fields entering towards the timber so there really isn't a way they can get downwind without being shot first.

Also, be prepared to get skunked. I am not sure where your from but the weather in Iowa sucks for coyote hunting right now. Although not impossible the success rate would quadruple if there was a lot of snow and sub zero temps for days on end. I wouldn't even use the decoy. You got a rifle.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet. I hunt in southern Ohio.. During bow season I had 2 walk right underneath me. I plan on setting up in the tree I shot my buck out of and sit all day.. Its supposed to be cold this weekend but really cold next weekend. I just want to kill off the ones in my area to protect the herd and let the fawns grow up. They come right through the field I have to walk through to get to the tree line. and I have had them come through the woods directly at me.

I figure with an ar i can drop them as soon as I see them and let them rott where they die and use that as bait for next weekend. My goal is to kill atleast 5-6 within the next 2 weeks. Im not sure how many a 200 acre plot can hold but thought that would be a good starting number. All of them dead would be the best.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
We kill around 20 to 30 every winter and our favorite setup is so that the wind is blowing left to right or right to left.I prefer this because when I would hunt with the wind in my face they would come in from behind and smell me before I ever saw them and when the wind is at your back you will usually get the same results.Thats why I like a cross wind.Coyotes will always 100% of the time come in from downwind.I try to set up so there is a natural funnel like a deep ravine or ditch.So if the wind changes they cant circle you.If you are at a set up and have been calling for 20 to 30 minutes and nothing comes in it is time to relocate and try a different set up.We have found that if they are going to come in it will happen within the first 20 minutes or so.Any longer than that and you are just making them wiser.Our best time to hunt them has been by far from 1hour before sunrise to 10 am.Good Luck

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks rayland.. I it will be a learning curve for me this weekend but with any luck, I might get to kill a couple. I will post up pics for sure if I score. It be nice to pop off a few rounds of 5.56 and have something to show for it..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I like hunting them more than deer. Yotes have a superior scenes of smell. I hunt cross wind and like to add a little rabbit scent next to my jack n box. Bait works, but you need time for them to find it and once they do it goes quickly. Start off soft and increase volume as you go. If they don't scent you and like the call, them come in on a strin,for me. I seldom every stay on a set for 30 minutes and seldom call from same location. I too place my call behind me and play the wind! You can get away with it on deer, but rarely with yotes.

If you get into predator hunting, check out fox pro calls. They are the best in electronic calls.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I like hunting them more than deer. Yotes have a superior scenes of smell. I hunt cross wind and like to add a little rabbit scent next to my jack n box. Bait works, but you need time for them to find it and once they do it goes quickly. Start off soft and increase volume as you go. If they don't scent you and like the call, them come in on a strin,for me. I seldom every stay on a set for 30 minutes and seldom call from same location. I too place my call behind me and play the wind! You can get away with it on deer, but rarely with yotes.

If you get into predator hunting, check out fox pro calls. They are the best in electronic calls.
we cant use electronic calls here

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Got my focus on a big alpha male tomorrow night or following . I am not going just to go but after one big dog. I hate skinnin the smelly damn things and only want his pelt to go with a few others. I need a clear sky and the moon should be bright , tues. is full . I hunt with no light , just the moon and snow and no calling yet. I take this on like i am targeting a big buck i have patterned . I will be going on calling outings as well very soon . Its just me and him and i got his number , my hunting partner is a Savage 22-250 , he's pretty cool and barks like a big gun. If it works i will post a pic. - wish me luck.:wolf:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm hoping to get out a couple times this week. Do fish work well as bait or is it not worth the time to throw some out every day

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
based on what i see youtube, at and friends bait isnt worth the trouble.. use a decoy and calling works best

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I have hunted yotes some and if there is one thing I learned is that if a dog isn't on top of you within 20min of calling its best to move on to the next spot. I'm not saying it can't happen but it usually doesnt happen. Don't put to much time into one spot. Also as soon as you drop a dog keep calling immedietly after, other dogs are probably near by and the shots don't seem to scare them off the fields. I have also tried coyote, turkey, and crow decoys . Turkey and crow calls work aweomse as well! If you have a siren sound trak and a loud boom box/noisy box that can get them yelling if they arnt howling back to calls. Just some random tips for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought a primos double whammy and i'm going to buy a rechargeable spotlight. Gonna throw out some turkey decoys and go out for the night. Ed

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
sweet. I hunt in southern Ohio.. During bow season I had 2 walk right underneath me. I plan on setting up in the tree I shot my buck out of and sit all day.. Its supposed to be cold this weekend but really cold next weekend. I just want to kill off the ones in my area to protect the herd and let the fawns grow up. They come right through the field I have to walk through to get to the tree line. and I have had them come through the woods directly at me.

I figure with an ar i can drop them as soon as I see them and let them rott where they die and use that as bait for next weekend. My goal is to kill atleast 5-6 within the next 2 weeks. Im not sure how many a 200 acre plot can hold but thought that would be a good starting number. All of them dead would be the best.
There is no point in sitting all day. You should limit your sitting to morning and evening which is when the yotes are most active other than at night. Like other have mentioned 30-45 minutes of no action after calling suggests your should probably relocate.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Hey guys and gals.. I borrowed my buddies ar-15 and im headed out to do some house cleaning on my hunting grounds.

I have a battery operated spinning rabbit and a rabbit in distress call and a howl call..

Ive never hunted them before I know I should be setup down wind as they circle down wind..

But besides that do you guys have any tips or tricks to get them in? I was thinkning of putting out some whole chickens from the store as bait.. any suggestions?
don't waste the meat, just call them, or call a local pig or cow farmer and see if they have any dead ones you can use.

I don't really like hunting over bait, you come into your set and they might be there eating and blow your set.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts