Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know this isn't really about bow hunting but wondering , I live in the stubenville, wheeling area of ohio. I like to coyote hunt but really don't know what the best time to yote hunt in this area. Looking for time of day. How do you guys hunt your yotes ? Give me all the information you possiably can ! Thanks !

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I use road kill deer and do pretty good hiring over them with calls early in the morning.

Can't go wrong with a fox pro either. Play the wind

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,300 Posts
Calling with a mojo decoy or equal to keep their focus...and they still catch your movement and are gone 80% of the time

·
wolfey
4,125 Posts
My dad and his buddy's run them with dogs. We've tried calling and haven't had much luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. I don't see much road kill deer around here. I can't think of what caller I have. I'll let ya guys know tomorrow and I'll tell you what kind of calls I have for it. My budy has the fox pro

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I use a Foxpro with the decoy. Also, use a distress sound of something that it is in your area, such as if I'm in Central Oregon, I use the jackrabbit, a lot times in Eastern Oregon I use the woodpecker, etc.

This is the breeding time, so a female looking for a mate call would be good too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use mouth calls and a Foxpro, we smash them. Most of the time hunt at night with buddies. If I'm alone I hunt at sunrise or sunset same as anything else.

Always start off your calls quiet. Never know how close they are when you get there.

My favorite mouth calls are the tweety psycho and the twisted psycho. Sound awesome and capable of tons of sounds.

Don't worry about a colored spotlight, just don't shine it in their eyes until you are ready to shoot, as they are coming in shine over their head so you can just barely see them until they are in range then shine and blast em.

If you have any more questions let me know. Planning on bow hunting some coyotes now that deer season is wrapped up!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390358266.334243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390358321.009899.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390358377.876614.jpg

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Try to keep your downwind wide open or a barrier. They like to circle downwind coming to distress sounds. Don't leave home with out coyote pup distress.
We are just getting into breeding season. So female whimpers can help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Now you're talking my game. I've hunted them for 40+ years in both the midwest and west. One thing that most people overlook is the curiosity of coyotes. Everybody and their brother uses rabbit in distress calls and it doesn't take long for a coyote to swing in downwind of a hunter using a distress call and figure that game out real quick. The use of coyote vocalizations is deadly on pressured coyotes. Pup in distress or pup fight sounds will work quite well and in many cases far better than the prey sounds. I have watched many coyotes ignore prey in distress sounds only to come bolting in to the call when pup in distress sounds are used. Good luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Now you're talking my game. I've hunted them for 40+ years in both the midwest and west. One thing that most people overlook is the curiosity of coyotes. Everybody and their brother uses rabbit in distress calls and it doesn't take long for a coyote to swing in downwind of a hunter using a distress call and figure that game out real quick. The use of coyote vocalizations is deadly on pressured coyotes. Pup in distress or pup fight sounds will work quite well and in many cases far better than the prey sounds. I have watched many coyotes ignore prey in distress sounds only to come bolting in to the call when pup in distress sounds are used. Good luck.
Yep, we have been noticing this the last few years too. Doesn't even matter what time of year it is. I'll hit every call in my sequence and switch too a pup distress and wam! They come running in.

Also, this is what I love about the Psycho calls, the split reed allows you to produce some truly unique sounds and crazy tone changes.

Coyotes aren't stupid, most idiots blast a distress call and then shoot out of range and miss. If you want to be successful you have to watch how they respond, remember what's working at different times of year, weather patterns, and how they act in different areas.

In Ohio you should have plenty of woods, you can either set up stands, or just camo up and put your back to some cover, set your e call about 20 yards away and be still. You will be amazed how close they come running in in broad daylight. Shotgun hunting is a rush! This is the kind of hunting I plan on doing with a bow!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here in ohio we have really dense woods and fields. Some fields are extremely big some are small. We also have alt of hills around we have a large mixture of terrain. I wanna learn how to hunt them better because they are getting way out of hand around here and I wanna do what ever I can to help keep the population down. This is a lot of help, but I think I may have to get more calls for my caller. I'll let you guys know later today what caller I use and the sounds I have for it.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Fox Pro FX3 - Decoy - R-15 .223 = dead yotes

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
This is good advice. We use the pup in distress as well. That is also a nice feature on some of the fox pro callers, the "foxbang", where you get the pup in distress automatically after the shot...helps with any other coyotes that were also there and spooked with the shot.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mornings for me.

I've never killed a single coyote at night ever -- all I ever got at night was foxes. Obviously it can be done, but has never worked for me.

I put this suppressed rifle together this week as my new coyote rig. My scope should be here in the next day or two and I'll be set.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good guys. So by the sounds of things early morning light right before light and evening right before dark or right after dark ? I have the Johnny Stewart Prey Master digital Caller. I have 3 chips that go in it for calling coyotes that came with it from the factory. They are Juvenile Cottontail, Gobbler Distress, Red Shafted Flicker, Housecat Distress, Desperate Cottontail, Pleading Chicken Screams, Fawn Bleating, CoyWolf Bark/Howls,Baby Cottontail Distress, distressed Rodents, Kid Goat Distress, and Coyote/Grey Fox Fight. For mouth calls I have a Knight and Hale E-Z Howler and Ultimate Predator I. My caller doesnt seem to loud at all, but I think it may be because my batteries arent the best. Keep giving me the information !

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats a good mouth call to use ? One good for like the Pup and Rabit in Distress.Also whats a good howler mouth call ? Or even whats a good all around call.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've used most of the mouth calls available at one time or another. The one that has that 'something special' is the Tally Ho, but there is some work that needs to be done before it will really do its thing. About half of them need to be thrown in the trash can right off the bat. The reed bridge needs to be more curved to bring out the raspy sounds that add realism and to prevent the reed from locking up. I replace the stock reed with a fairly narrow reed made from .010 mylar. It's a pain to have to do this to a new call but it's worth it. A good Tally Ho is a superb predator call. If you don't want to jump through all those hoops a Critter Call is a good call.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I am thinking about maybe just saving up my money and buying a nice foxpro. But I seen this guy on youtube that all he used was one simple mouth call that he called in alot of yotes with here in Ohio, but he never says what kind of call it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts