Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that deer season is over with, its about time to start actively hunting coyotes on the few spots I have permission. I'm looking at getting either the Primos Dog Catcher or the ICOtec 300 electronic game call. I will be new to the whole targeting coyotes vs. target of opportunity coyote hunting, so my question are; Will one of these calls do the trick, or should I just buy a nicer one to start? Is one of the critter type motion decoys a worth while investment? Any thing else I should need to get started?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I have called in a few since early Nov, in Ks. Son and I have killed four and should have had several more. Called last Fri. Killed one. Had one come in to 5-600 yards and hold up. Had one get our wind at about 250 and turn and run. We shot at it. Had one run full speed to call/decoy, run by it and never stop. Usually we can get them to stop by barking. This one never slowed dow and got into a draw before we could get a shot.
We use a fox pro call and a Predator Enticer decoy. I think you can get by without a decoy but it helps in some cases.
The mating season is in play now so be prepared for doubles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never used those calls but I don't see why they wouldn't work, however If you have the money I would probably get a foxpro inferno for $200 just because Its a more reputable company. I wouldn't waste money on a decoy, just play the wind because they will almost always try and go down wind of you. The only thing you might need is a nice light if you want to try night hunting, I think it's a lot easier to call them in at night than during the day.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info guys. I have a pack living out behind my house that needs reduced before they find my chicken coop. Any one tried either of the two I mentioned?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have to disagree with ilhunter, I find the decoy to be very productive. Gives the yotes something to focus on and sometimes brings them out for a shot opportunity that wouldn't otherwise be there. But I do agree that a FoxPro is the way to go for a caller. Even the FoxPro Deadbone isn't a bad caller for $120.

Here is one the Hellfire and FoxJack decoy got in Tuesday night. Probably the ugliest coyote I have killed.....EVER!

20160126_174614.jpg
20160126_174650.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Get a FoxPro wildfire 2 or inferno and get the foxjack decoy to go with it. A decoy is definitely a good investment. It keeps the coyotes attention in the decoy and not you. Check out predatormasters forum for all the info you need

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is probably the ugliest coyote I've ever seen.
That's definitely a chupacabra!

The last 5 years for dogs ive used the Primos and HS diaphragm calls. I could never get ANY normal sound out of actual howlers..... and diaphragm calls are what wins all of the yote calling competitions..... They sound great. When Im calling bobcats and sometimes dogs, I use a FoxPro Fury......
Others may have good luck with other calls but dogs aren't dumb, and with everybody trying to save money and "cheaping out" on the more expensive electronic calls the dogs tune in and recognize the frequency of the call...... ALOT of people around me use the cheaper calls and don't have much luck..... Just my .02

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Fox Pro's are probably some of the best callers you can get. That said, I've called in a bunch with a Primos Power Dogg and a homebrew caller that consists of a power horn speaker, a mini amp and an mp3 player. The higher end callers give you better quality sounds and more sound options, which can be useful when calling in some of those stubborn/well-educated coyotes. As far as a decoy goes, I use a Mojo Critter. I don't think a decoy needs to be any more complicated than that. You can kill coyotes without a decoy but the decoy will pay for itself, when it comes to stubborn/well-educated coyotes. As mentioned before, it gives them something to draw their attention - rather than just you fidgeting around because your feet froze solid 15 minutes ago.

My only other suggestions would be to pack a good, comfortable pad to sit on, or one of those fancy predator hunting chairs (whatever your budget allows). You'll be warmer and more comfortable if your butt is up off the ground and somewhat padded. This will also help you keep from fidgeting around and potentially educating a coyote. Last but not least, get a couple good mouth calls and practice with them. Cold weather plays hell on electronic gadgets, and having a back up caller is better than getting set up and finding out your equipment isn't working. I like to keep a rodent squeaker, cottontail distress, and a basic howler in my pack. The rest of it, you'll learn pretty quickly as you go. Good luck!

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
That's definitely a chupacabra!

The last 5 years for dogs ive used the Primos and HS diaphragm calls. I could never get ANY normal sound out of actual howlers..... and diaphragm calls are what wins all of the yote calling competitions..... They sound great. When Im calling bobcats and sometimes dogs, I use a FoxPro Fury......
Others may have good luck with other calls but dogs aren't dumb, and with everybody trying to save money and "cheaping out" on the more expensive electronic calls the dogs tune in and recognize the frequency of the call...... ALOT of people around me use the cheaper calls and don't have much luck..... Just my .02
I had a feeling I would look at the location and see PA, its just like the hunters of our state NEED to be hunting something whether they understand what they're doing or not. Lots of educated coyotes in SW PA

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a feeling I would look at the location and see PA, its just like the hunters of our state NEED to be hunting something whether they understand what they're doing or not. Lots of educated coyotes in SW PA
That's about it. We have pretty good luck doing it but as of lately they're howling has kind of dried up. I have them on camera but this past year was horrible. We're still getting some luck in the traps but night hunting has been lack luster that's why Ive been going for cats lately. But if you too are hunting them you know what I mean....., you're right down the road.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good information guys, thanks. I'm now leaning towards the Fox Pro Wildfire, anybody have that model? I see they have them online at Dicks Sporting Goods for 159, seems like a decent price.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've used a fox pro but have had better luck with mouth calls. There are a lot of guys that call coyotes around me...I think it's best to sound different then all the guys running electronic callers. I've also had good luck using a coyote decoy.

Here's a pic of one we called in two weeks ago with a mouth call and decoy. Only took about 2 minutes

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good information guys, thanks. I'm now leaning towards the Fox Pro Wildfire, anybody have that model? I see they have them online at Dicks Sporting Goods for 159, seems like a decent price.
I would suggest stepping up a model. The wildfire will work on a calm day but doesn't have the volume if there is much wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Fox Pro Caller ( I have an FX 3 that's a few years old) and a moving decoy of some kind (Fox Jack attaches to my FX 3). Everything is remote control. I'll use the Fox Pro caller to locate/get them to come in (sometimes they might be a mile or more away) until they see the moving decoy, then use a mouth call or squeeze 'coaxer' squeaker to get them a little closer until I can get a decent shot. I hunt an open field though and can get off shots in excess of 350 yds. Get the best electronic caller that you can afford, even if that means saving your money until you can get a nice one. In the meantime, you can get away with a moving decoy for under $100.00 and a mouth call.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Foxpro all the way I recently picked up wildfire at dicks first 3 sets called in 4 yotes. Great call and better yet American made

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have the FoxPro inferno and love the call. It has worked well the last month or so I've had it. Just be careful if you have a lot of predatory birds around they like the calls also. My buddy had his decoy taken for a ride by a hawk and last Friday I had a eagle fly down to my call.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I run the Primos Alpha Dog and it has worked great for me, you can find it for $200 or less too. I also use mouth calls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts