Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not a bow kill, but my husband got this coyote and did the mount himself. I think it looks pretty good, so I thought I would share.
Thanks,
Colette

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I like it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Constructive critique.........if the animal has a open snarling mouth, the ears should be swept back in a more aggressive/defensive manner. Forward or upright ears are a sign of listening....

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
thats a big coyote i think he did good and i agree about the position of the ears on it thou

·
canadian content
2,181 Posts
Great job.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That looks as good great job better than most professional taxidermist jobs ive seen.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I always judge taxidermy by the eyes. If the eyes look good then generally speaking the rest looks good. The eyes are the hardest part to get right. He did a pretty darn good job in my book.

·
Site Administrator
43,273 Posts
Constructive critique.........if the animal has a open snarling mouth, the ears should be swept back in a more aggressive/defensive manner. Forward or upright ears are a sign of listening....
I don't think the Coyote is snarling at all...more of a 50 yard dash panting look...Very nice mount . I know that any animal with an open mouth cost more at the Taxidermist.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
looks pretty good

·
Wishing it was elk season
796 Posts
Looks really good!!

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Maybe he put the oh S*&T open mouth look when the Yote realized he had messed up and gotten into range.LOL!!!!!

Nice mount

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the Coyote is snarling at all...more of a 50 yard dash panting look...Very nice mount . I know that any animal with an open mouth cost more at the Taxidermist.
You so right. He wanted the panting look. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the compliments. He has done his own deer heads for a while now, but wanted to try something else. It does beat paying the taxidermist. It is time consuming, but I think it is like anything else, you appreciate it so much more when you do it yourself. Now, if I can ever shoot a deer or elk with my bow, I know I will get a good mount out of it, plus he probably wont charge me much!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
He did an OK job. I assume this is probably his first attempt at a 'yote. They can be very difficult to mount and in fact many taxidermists don't like to even attempt them. My major complaints would be the work around the muzzle, the flat look he's captured just doesn't look like a live coyote and instead looks like hide that has been smoothed and glued to a foam form. Also, the EYES make the mount and he certainly needs more details there, especially on the way he's set them.... he almost has an unrealistic angle for a prey species and not the straight predator eye set it needs. Good job though on an early attempt at a very difficult animal to mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts