Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled a Camera after a two week soak and I find a group of coyotes making an appearance nearly every day sometimes multiple times a day. I don't have a clue about trapping and I am not close enough to the property to legally do it. We thought about letting a local trapper in but in the past he has been an interruption during bow season. What is the best way to handle them and slow the growth of their population? Limiting where the trapper can set up? Setting up some bait and letting some lead fly?

On a positive note we are still seeing a lot of different deer all over the property. Here are a couple young ones testing out their new head gear.
MFDC2645.jpg

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I trap coyotes, and if you limit where he can trap you also limit how many he will catch, as he needs to trap "on sign". When does your bow season start? Trapping season is probably closed now but if Wisconsin is like most states he can apply for a depredation permit and trap them at any time. The problem with trapping now is the abundance of food, and the fact they are not breeding. They are much easier to trap when breeding, like bucks are easier to kill during the rut, they will respond to lures much better. If he could get in there now its possible he could take out the breeding pair along with the pups born this year.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Sounds like you have more coyotes than you want but are unwilling to do what is necessary to cut them down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Bow season opens Sept. 12. So not a ton of time before season.

I don't know why but they are in this location pretty consistently and seen on other cameras very sporadically. Any Theories as to why?
IMAG1134 (2).jpg IMAG1059 (2).jpg

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Must be a lof of critters around the area for them to frequent it a lot. Is there thick cover near by the camera. They like to lay up in thick brush like deer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is trapping something a guy could be successful with if you set up for long weekends and pull them before you leave? I would like the satisfaction of getting them myself if possible but understand the in general trapping takes patients.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Hunting or learning how to trap are not the best ways to get rid of a pack of coyotes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That camera location is a small clearing between a corn field and a lower creek bottom that goes between the corn and an open oak woods. The closest thicket is on the neighbor to the norths property which is really only 100 yards away.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
if your in WI, you need to take the trapper course first or you can't trap. there is a list of classes on the dnr website. enroll in a class asap before they fill up if you plan on going that route.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Once deer season starts the yotes might change patterns the same as deer. They tend to freak out when gun season hits and dont show up as much during daylight.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Is trapping something a guy could be successful with if you set up for long weekends and pull them before you leave? I would like the satisfaction of getting them myself if possible but understand the in general trapping takes patients.
It is possible to make catches the first night the traps are in the ground, but the odds are not great. You leave so much scent when setting that the area really needs a couple of days to cool off before the odds increase. If you try it yourself and rely on weekends you are just going to educate the yotes and make them harder to catch for even a seasoned trapper. Your best bet is to get a trapper, and use him on a yearly basis for a predator control program. It will help your deer, but also quail and turkey to thin out the other predators like **** a possum.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
It is possible to make catches the first night the traps are in the ground, but the odds are not great. You leave so much scent when setting that the area really needs a couple of days to cool off before the odds increase. If you try it yourself and rely on weekends you are just going to educate the yotes and make them harder to catch for even a seasoned trapper. Your best bet is to get a trapper, and use him on a yearly basis for a predator control program. It will help your deer, but also quail and turkey to thin out the other predators like **** a possum.
we have to check our traps every day. they can't go more than 24 hours without checking, so how do you do that without leaving scent?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Give an experienced trapper a week or two and he will think them out. Learning to trap=educated coupes that become difficult as all get out to nab. Give the local guy a block of time and if he knows his stuff he will clean them.up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts