Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you ever done it?

I have killed one with my compound and kinda thinking of going and giving a try with the stick............... remember I wont believe you if there are no pics:lie: ;)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I plan on trying to take one this coming July near my shop with my recurve. If I am successful, I will definitely post pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I killed one with a compound last year and never took a photo. The coyote had no hair.:pukey: I can live with you not believing me.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
killed one with a field point one year in the winter walking my dog,
walking along a deer trail and he was following at aprox 20 yds, had no fear what so ever.. took a shot with a broadhead arrow and missed high... good line though... ;)
He started to parallel me moving to catch better wind I thought..
I only had field point shafts left in the quiver so I nocked one up and let one loose and struck him right in the sweet spot pocket behind the front leg, the shaft buried 3/4 of the way in..
he started to run off across a field where I watched him turn and pull out the shaft with his teeth then ran another 50 yds or so and fell over dead.. I carry a few more broadhead shafts with me now, but never had the experience again...yet ;)
The hide was good and he looked like a young of the year pup.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have shot several with a compound. Once with my 75 pound Zebra long bow I shot two it one night. I was deer hunting one evening and two came trotting by me at about 25 yards. I shot and hit the first one to far back he yipped and took off the second one stopped and just stood there so I nocked another arrow and shot the other one, It was a good hit and he done the same thing. I seen that the tapered wood arrow didn't get much penetration and he chewed it off when it hit. I when out the next morning to find them. The second one went about 40 yards and crawled up under a bush pile and was dead. The first one I never did find. Track it a long ways with a blood trail, but he was gut shot.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Having lived in NH on property bordering the largest State Park and raising chickens and goats, I have a "special" place in my heart for them.
I don't even care about an "ethical" shot... The only good 'Yote is a dead one, and I'll shoot it with whatever I am armed with at the time (same goes for feral dogs, pigs, boars, etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a HUGE coyote problem in our neighborhood and they are bold ones too. I see them roaming around in the morning 6:30-8:00am and early evening hours. However I have found at least one really brave one at high noon in my driveway. In general we hear them the most yelping it up in packs, last night around midnight. We live in a fairly old neighborhood with houses from the 1900's as late as the 70's with lot sizes under 1/4 acre…pretty much your average neighborhood, not the sticks where you would expect this.

I have taken one coyote with a 12ga and 00 Buck before, but in general I just leave them be. Then about a year ago my attitude changed. I was sitting on the back patio in the evening (8:30-ish) with my friend enjoying a beer and cigars. Me and the Mrs.. let the dogs out to do their business. I re-manned my position behind my cigar and cervesa again and the Mrs.. Went off behind the dogs. Lots of growling and barking commenced, then a yelp, then the should of something hitting our chain link fence. We quickly got our two dogs inside where we assed the damage. Lola was unscathed, but my best buddy Angus had a good 3/4" gash in his throat. So two weeks in pet hospital, three operations, and $6500 later he came home to recover.

It's been a year and you couldn't tell anything had ever happened. I guess we were kind of naive to think a 4 foot tall chain link fence would keep the coyotes out and the dogs were free to roam the backyard with mild supervision. We've learned our lesson, however our neighbors haven't and continue to let their dogs roam the neighborhood freely even at night. They are bigger dogs, but even a German Sheppard is no match for a pack of coyotes. So if my neighbors are going to continue to advertise a free buffet for the coyotes, then it looks like I'm going to have to take care of the issue myself.

I picked up a pack of broadheads yesterday, now I just need to formulate a plan. It's payback time.

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
i hope to. i hate them things.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Coyotes everywhere

Years ago I was calling from an enormous brush pile on the side of a hill in S.E. Kansas. It was early and foggy. I saw a lone Coyote moving up from the valley. He would go from bush to bush but always straight for me. When he jumped behind a small grass outcropping at about 30 Yds. I drew my BW 1200
T/D HB when I realized movement to my right. I peeked and there not more than 10 Ft. from me in the brush pile was another one. We both jumped and headed in different directions. I don't remember what I said but I'm sure I could not repeat it here!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
had one come right up to my back deck last summer, but it took off before i could grab a bow. i plan on having an arrow nocked & waiting nearby from now on when i'm out back. they tend to be hard on the drop kicks & the cats around here- lotsa missing cat & poodle posters.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts