Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out this morning and saw 2 coyotes traveling together and wondered how often people see them in pairs or more. Thinking back, I can't remember a time where I saw more than 1 coyote during the day.

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
They pair up a lot in January, February, during mating season, you will call in a lot of double than, right now they are probably small family groups, brothers, sisters, etc.....

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I seem to see "packs" on a more regular basis. I don't really think they're packs per se, but just taking advantage of some reinforcements.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
back home if you saw one there was usually another not too far away

so nice when a pack of 'em move in when deer season starts...not fun waiting for your ride with only bow in hand after dark when they are yelping and barking less than 100 yards away

bobcats are more solitude than yotes...

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I saw 6 in a group together in the middle of Nov. here in NY. I believe it was a family group (mother and pups). Pretty neat. I see groups of 2 all the time.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have seen singles and pairs together quite often and once they have a kill they'll howl in the rest of the pack.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
bow addict said:
I see them in groups more than singles.
Same here.....at least two. Last season I saw three together a few days in a row in the same spot. The last day they came within range and I popped a couple of those suckers. I hate coyotes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
We had a pack of 13 on my parents' farm when I was young. As you move north and east through their range they behave more "wolfish". It's been speculated that they have hybridized with wolves over time. They are also larger in the northeast than in the south.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
clinometer said:
They are also larger in the northeast than in the south.
I'm pretty sure that is Bergmann's Rule (the farther you go north, the larger the body size of a species). Don't quote me on that one though.

I wonder if it is a population size thing too where they pack up when populations grow. If I see them again, I'm going to try and ensure there is one less though.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Actually, coyotes mate in the fall and begin whelping in late February. That is why most trapping seasons end then, so you don't catch momma's that have little ones in the den. So seeing them running together this time of year isn't strange. They will also pack up to hunt. I grew up on different ranches in the southwest and have been familiar with coyotes since I was a small child. If there are enough rabbits and ground squirrels etc, they won't pack hunt as much but as food becomes scarce, they will join forces. It is interesting to see what a group of them do to a momma cow when they are after the calf.

Worst one I ever saw was a cow in the process of having a calf was jumped by a bunch of coyotes. She spun around a few times tryin to defend herself and went down with a hind leg on each side of her (a cow cannot get up from this position) with her calfs head exposed out of the birth canal. The coyotes chewed him up pretty good. This is how we found her. It must have happened just before we got there. We got the cow rolled over and pulled the calf, but it was too late for the little bugger.

Now you know why I hate coyotes.

·
74,535 Posts
They often travel in pairs

Get rid of them and your deer herd will grow in numbers. We did and believe me it works,

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see coyotes traveling alone, but when they are hunting I see more pairs than singles.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Seen 3 opening day eve I saw a pack of 3.
The next weekend 1 and another showed up.

RIFLE SEASON IS GOING TO BE FUN!!!:teeth:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
Get rid of them and your deer herd will grow in numbers. We did and believe me it works,
How do you get rid of coyotes? I recently read an article on coyotes in Virginia and it said that they are here to stay. The article said that 10 years ago, just over 500 were killed in Va. Last year, more than 5000 were killed. From the reports that I have been getting from area farmers that I know, their numbers are growing and there's no stopping them.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
AK-AZ said:
Actually, coyotes mate in the fall and begin whelping in late February. That is why most trapping seasons end then, so you don't catch momma's that have little ones in the den. So seeing them running together this time of year isn't strange. They will also pack up to hunt. I grew up on different ranches in the southwest and have been familiar with coyotes since I was a small child. If there are enough rabbits and ground squirrels etc, they won't pack hunt as much but as food becomes scarce, they will join forces. It is interesting to see what a group of them do to a momma cow when they are after the calf.

Worst one I ever saw was a cow in the process of having a calf was jumped by a bunch of coyotes. She spun around a few times tryin to defend herself and went down with a hind leg on each side of her (a cow cannot get up from this position) with her calfs head exposed out of the birth canal. The coyotes chewed him up pretty good. This is how we found her. It must have happened just before we got there. We got the cow rolled over and pulled the calf, but it was too late for the little bugger.

Now you know why I hate coyotes.
Coyotes DO NOT mate during fall. *****es come into heat during mid-February thru to mid-March. This is the norm over the coyote's entire range....coast to coast. And they are still running in family packs and won't disperse until late Nov and Dec. Here's a pic of a young female of this year that zigged when she should have zagged on my foodplot Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The last coyoyes I saw were last spring. There were three (in a 20 yard radius) in a very large field. The field also held over 20 deer. The yotes were occupied hunting mice and insects and did not pay any attention at all to the deer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not too Strange.

Coyotes travel in pairs more than you think. Often times when you see one coyote there is probably another nearby. Not always, but often. Also, you need to consider that the pups from this spring are not that old and the siblings will hang together through this beginning stage of being on their own. So, you could be seeing a couple of yotes that are depending on each other and just haven't moved on yet from this young stage.
With that being said, I personally don't hate coyotes as some do and don't count them as a lowly form of creation. I respect them as much as I do deer and don't think they should be wiped out but, held in check. I do alot of coyote calling and consider them to be one of the toughest animals to coax into hunting range. In coyote hunting you are going up against one of the smartest, most adaptable animals there is and I have the utmost in respect for them as we should have for all of God's creatures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts