Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting my Martin Cheetah today when I heard a slight tick as I came to full draw. It sounded like it was coming from the top limb so I checked and sure enough the was a crack!! Now this wouldn't irritate me too much except for the fact that I bought this bow last year to replace an Alpine Frontier that ended up cracking three limbs within a year. Alpine replced it but I wasn't to comfortable with it after the three cracked limbs so I bought the Martin.

How often do limbs crack and is it something that I might be doing wrong? I don't do any work on the bow myself it's all been done by reputable shops.

He're the pic of the crack.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Your previous Alpine had 3 cracked limbs!? What weight are you pulling, arrow gns & draw length?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I was shooting my Martin Cheetah today when I heard a slight tick as I came to full draw. It sounded like it was coming from the top limb so I checked and sure enough the was a crack!! Now this wouldn't irritate me too much except for the fact that I bought this bow last year to replace an Alpine Frontier that ended up cracking three limbs within a year. Alpine replced it but I wasn't to comfortable with it after the three cracked limbs so I bought the Martin.

How often do limbs crack and is it something that I might be doing wrong? I don't do any work on the bow myself it's all been done by reputable shops.

He're the pic of the crack.
Dude. I feel for you. There aren't that many reports of failed martin limbs. I think you just got a lemon. How do you store your bow when you're not using it? Is it temperature controlled?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah three cracked limbs. it was crazy they would crack as soon as they were replace. I've already contacted Martin about this bow and will be fixed soon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hang it inside. The temp is controlled. i don't leave it in a hot car or shed or anything like that

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
seems no one is completely immune to this type of thing...hard for me to say unless your shooting it with super light arrows or something/ maybe the shop is pressing your bow incorrectly? Are you crankin up the poundage? :confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Mathews is in the shop now for a cracked limb. I shot my old fred bear for three years had no problems and a martin before that with no problems. I decided I was realy getting into shooting so I went and got a dren. Six month old and its been in the shop for a total of six weeks. I thought spending 1200 for a set up rather than 500 I would have no problems for years. I guess im a sucker too.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
My Mathews is in the shop now for a cracked limb. I shot my old fred bear for three years had no problems and a martin before that with no problems. I decided I was realy getting into shooting so I went and got a dren. Six month old and its been in the shop for a total of six weeks. I thought spending 1200 for a set up rather than 500 I would have no problems for years. I guess im a sucker too.
Its still in the shop after six weeks?...I'd get on your dealer for that..I've never heard of it taking that long for anybody...I'd be Pissed just a tad. :mad:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Just Give Martin a call and they will have a new set of limbs to you or your proshop in a jiffy.

+1 (800) 541-8902 ext 2718 is Joel C. Satisfaction Guaranteed...

·
Registered
397 Posts
That sucks

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I'd be on the phone with Mathews! I had a small issue with the finish on My XT limbs and it was in and out of the shop in 6 days, From first call to Pick up.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I would guess it came from someone pressing the bow incorrectly. Had a Pantera do the samething right after it was pressed to put a peep in. The shop owner had me draw it to check the peep & it made the same sound you described. To make matters worse he tried to blame me for "drawing it wrong". How do you draw it wrong? I have been sooting bows for 20 years, it was not my first day on the planet. Martin replaced my limbs & everything was great after that!

·
Registered
221 Posts
It has been in the shop six weeks total. we are on three now for the limb with the holiday and all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as I know I'm shooting the correct arrow weight. Here's the set up:

28" @ 68#
27.75" Easton ST Epic 400
100 gr head
Blazers and Bohning Wraps

1 - 20 of 36 Posts