Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another season has come and gone. As usual the last day always seems to be an adventurous one for some odd reason and this year was no different. My buddy and I went out with the muzzleloaders hoping to have one last chance. Around 7:30 he had a shot at a decent sized doe that was pretty close to him. After he called I said man if it was that close to you 40 yards you definitely got her. So I had said let’s keep hunting and around 9:30 I’ll head your way. So on my way to him I had pushed a small doe right to him, but he didn’t shoot because he figured he already had a dead deer down. When we started looking for blood we found it immediately and we thought that we’d find the deer in minutes. When blood is on top of the snow it’s pretty easy tracking. The deer had gone up right behind some condos so we didn’t want to shoot so I left my gun with my buddy and said I’ll go grab it you stay here with the guns. I came up behind the deer in some low thick stuff and saw it bedding facing away from me and noticed it’s head up and moving. I couldn’t believe it and I didn’t have my gun, but even if I did I never would have taken a shot that close to the condos. My guess was that the deer couldn’t get up and I felt bad that it was suffering so I had my dad bring down the crossbow.

So here’s where it gets crazy. So about an hour later I start to make my way to the deer with the crossbow. I had to loop around the deer to be able to take a clean shot at it and I would be up wind of it now. So as I’m making my way to it I was hoping that it had passed away and it wasn’t suffering any longer. I was looking and looking and whoa there she is not moving great she passed. I was about 10 yards away looking at her curled up in the fetal position and you know how it goes when you kill something well for me anyways always that moment of sadness and happiness.
I kept look making sure she didn’t move a muscle and she didn’t so I said I’ll take a picture of her to show my buddy what she looked like when I found her before I drag her out of this stuff. I’m maybe 5 yards now get my phone out to take the picture and it was kind of dark looking so I put the phone down to my waist to zoom in with my numb hands I pick it up go to take the picture and you know what happened!!!! I was like what the ...... you gotta be kidding me. She opened her eyes up looked at me in shock and in one bound she leaped out of there with a busted leg and stopped, but it was so thick I couldn’t even think of sneaking an arrow through at her. So now the chase was on. She stopped bleeding now, but how I don’t know these animals amaze me with their magical heeling powers. We only jumped her one more time the entire rest of the day about a half hour after that. We figured she’d keep laying down and give us another opportunity, but she just kept going and we could never catch up with her.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Crazy for sure...but one thing, as I think you know, if their eyes are closed, they ain't dead yet.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
terrible crazy story but a great lesson for many of us!
thanks for sharing
norm

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy for sure...but one thing, as I think you know, if their eyes are closed, they ain't dead yet.
I didn’t know that about the eyes being closed. Eye figured that out the hard way yesterday. When I was looking at the deer yesterday the thought did go through my head for a split second. Being that close, up wind and noisy I figured if she could’ve gotten up it would’ve been then. I’m usually looking at the entrance/exit wound or rack. Hopefully my experience will educate some others that weren’t aware of this like myself I feel pretty silly not knowing.

·
Huntoholic
10,656 Posts
Sorry it ended with one headed to a bandaid station, but yep it happens, but I think this one will survive. Like Rabid said, never let em fool you with closed eye's, their just take'n a break. I would have circled to the house and let them know I may have to fire a shot, and not worry it would not be in the direction of harms way.

Several years ago,, maybe 15 now, these stories always remind me just how old I am getting,,, but I made a pretty iffy long shot through some open timber, about 150 yards with my M/L, new the gun would do it, but a lot to get thru even in open timber. I new I hit the deer and thought it was a good shot as I seen it spin and almost go down, but it headed to the edge of a field and ran south to where some homes were across the field about 150 yards away in a little addition, so I couldn't shoot that direction, and was worried people would startle or think I was lame enough to shoot that direction. Plus from the way I would have to head to it, if it got up it would be headed for much thicker brush. So I went to the Suburban and drove around the section and back to the addition where I could park in front of the house the deer was last seen behind. I went to the door and asked their blessing to allow me to go thru their yard to access the field. I got the guy's blessing and he volunteered to help. I let him know it was not a problem getting the deer I just didn't want anyone worrying that there were any hunters on the adjacent property that would ever risk shooing towards their domains, and if anyone had concerns wanted them assured there were no safety issues. All would have been fine if I had went ahead as the deer was dead and the shot was on it's mark thru the boilers, but I it was better knowing if shots were needed the situation was covered.

He assured me he would let any neighbors know if there were every any concerns about shot's or hunters in the woods across that field. I would always make folk's aware of your responsible intentions, it usually makes your future hunt's less dramatic some times, and seldom hurts. The main thing is in the case one of the condo or home owners see you so close and dragging deer, all is good. Some who don't hunt let their minds wonder in some very clueless conclusions if they all sudden look at and see it, always best to remove any doubt as to whats going on, and again, probably makes future hunt less likely for unwanted encounters.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Sorry to hear the deer was not recovered, it does happen . We can only do what we can in the recovery process

·
Eric
4,265 Posts
Sorry yall lost that one but things happen, sometimes things happen just to make a better hunter because we learn things we will do different next time. I've had my share of things happen over the past 36 years
that make people just bust out laughing.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yep one of the first things my dad taught me was if you walk up on a deer and it’s eyes are closed get ready to shoot again.

Sorry his deer got away but unfortunately it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Exactly, and now she is probably coyote bait.

And thats why you save picture taking etc. after you know the deer expired........ Jmo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts