Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here a hunting tale that will maybe help someone out there! As some of you know I have a back injury that is inoperable and the dr told me not to use my climber stand this year...said it would allow my back to heal some!...so my son wanting to help dear old dad out...put me up a 15 foot ladder stand at my prime location a week before season...being busy I did not get a chance to play with it....so wed a.m. I hunted it just fine ...no problems but didn't see a thing...so wed p.m. I noticed that I had creak when I stood up or moved and decided its too late too do anything about it now so I decided to just hunt it that afternoon and then either fix it or move another stand in...after 2 hours in it ...I was standing with bow in hand and was looking around...and what did I see at my 2 o'clock? A nice 10 point buck with appx 20" spread!( antlers extended appx 2'' to each side of ears) ...I never heard him come in....so we stared at one another...both frozen in time for about 5 minutes... he finally started wagging his tail and feeling comfortable...(since I had my snakeskin camo on I guess he decided I was just a big ole snake in the tree)...well here is where it gets good....he turned to move to my 12 o'clock behind some cover and my stand creaked loudly...well we know the rest of the story...he must have been a half a mile away before he quit blowing...then I looked and here comes a doe my way...we she got to 20 ysds I drew and just then the stand creaked again!!! Murphy where were you??? No more hunting on that stand till I get it fixed! I didn't get a deer but had a sucessful hunt just getting to see them....At least I got the plaque flushed out of the arteries... anyway Good luck to the rest of you!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Don't ya hate that.
Did the same thing last season. The quick fix was to wrap a layer of electrical tape on the noisy joint. Assuming it came from where the sections slide together.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hope it helps

For years i have been using Vegtable oil or cooking oil on the stands that squeek,doesnt bother the Deer its orderless it works like WD40 without the smell,hope it helps:D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....i may try both!!! My son just called and said he put his climber up across the gully from that stand and seen a couple of deer..(nothing legal) ....and they came in looking at that stand and while they were feeding ..they would take a bite and look back at the stand until time to get another bite!!!####/??????! Looks like I got myself a high priced attention getter!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
kildog said:
Thanks guys....i may try both!!! My son just called and said he put his climber up across the gully from that stand and seen a couple of deer..(nothing legal) ....and they came in looking at that stand and while they were feeding ..they would take a bite and look back at the stand until time to get another bite!!!####/??????! Looks like I got myself a high priced attention getter!
They were saying to each other" thats the stand where Dad saw that guy standing making squeaky noises calling chickens".:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just don't use that stand on your next high fence chicken hunt! :D Don't want to scare off those yard birds! Yea, a friend of mine was hunting a nice 8pt last year and the same thing happened to him. This year he has a new stand!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Kildog, I second either some type of cooking oil (peanut oil...deer might come and lick yer stand :D) or put teflon washers between all the bolts/screws and metal.

Another thing you can do is dip the bolts in rubber except for the end where the nut threads on to them. This in conjunction with teflon washers should make it all silent.

But, you may not have the time for all that since the stand is already out there. The cooking oil is probably the better bet until the off season when you can do the latter approach (no pun intended) :D

Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a reinvestigation of the stand from hell and found the noise to be in the platform screen metal...i think they call it expanded metal...but I think I will screw some treated plywood on it...I put my boys with their climbers in there and 2 deer have been killed there in the last 2 days....no 10 pt has been seen...both kills were does...but its a pretty hot stand...several young bucks seen in the last few days...only thing is every deer that comes in stops and looks at that stand...so I might have to go against doctors orders and use my climber.....just be careful and go slow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts