Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like some good feedback on which bow most people feel is better. smoothness, tuning, speed etc

·
Registered
58 Posts
I chose the Creed over the Chill, but I haven't experienced any of the other MR stuff. The Creed, to me, feels similar to the z7's that I've had. Performs PERFECTLY though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a monster 7 and I have a creed now. I like the creed better because, It was lighter, little smoother and a way better wall because of the draw stop. Try to shoot booth and see which one you like.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
First, let me start by saying that you should shoot all three bows and determine which feels best in your hands (Monster MR, Monster Chill and Solocam Creed). Here is my take for what its worth

Creed vs Monster MR
1. Speed and Power will go to the MR hands down (7,6 or 5 will all be faster and deliver more KE than a Creed)
2. Weight and comfort carrying in the field will go to the Creed hands down (that extra pound+ of weight will wear on you out west or in spot stalk situations)
3. Balance...Dead heat, both bows are vibe free if setup correctly and in proper tune. Both rigs can be offset for the amount of accessory weight installed above the mid point and on the right side of the riser (rest body, sight, quiver bracket, etc)...BUT the Creed is going to be more sensitive to this since the riser starts out very light to begin with (% of weight added will effect Creed more).
4. Draw cycle - Creed is definitely going to give you a more firm backwall, no doubt. Draw force curves are similar to where you encounter peak weight and maintain it throughout until letoff kicks in. Backwall goes to the Creed due to its cam installed draw stop post.

Creed vs Monster Chill
1. Speed and Power - Chill will stand head and shoulders above the Creed here again...the ones that I've tuned (both models) the Chill is exceed IBO ratings easily and the Creed is right at or just below IBO. Chill is rated at 333fps but I'm seeing things in the 338-340 range and the Creed is rated at 328fps and I have gotten a couple to that mark but most are at 325-327.
2. Weight - Dead heat in my hands...I just can't distinguish 0.2 pounds when I hold a bow.
3. Balance - Dead heat again. They both share a similar lightweight riser design that is equally sensitive to accessory weight installed above the midpoint on the right side of the riser...this is where KTech comes to the rescue with the KSB1 string stops and offset stabilizers.
4. Draw Cycle - I'll get bashed for this, but I think its a dead heat. My tuned Chills draw evenly, smoothly and hit a very firm backwall at specified draw lengths by my clients. I tune to the requested draw length without getting wrapped up in "what module" is installed. That is why Mathews went away from stamping specific draw lengths on the Monster draw modules when they introduced the MR series (Monster 6.0 and Monster 7.0 have modules with draw length measures stamped on them but they always run 1/4 to 1/2" longer to the firm wall so it threw guys for a loop and disappointed many)

As a Tuner of rigs, I prefer the Monster series bows for one or two simple reasons. The primary reason is that on a Monster bow the cables and the string are two independent assemblies. Any tuning that I do to the cables does not have any direct effect on the string thus it does not effect brace height or draw length. This is not the case on Solocam designs where one of the cables is integrated into the string assembly and thus any tuning to the cables is limited to the one independent cable and split yoke design. This is not a "limitation" of the design in any way, but rather just isolates a tuners ability to time/****** the cam and other specific things that we like to do to make the "machine" work in harmony with all components. This is just one man's opinion based on factual work and measurements taken and documented while working on dozens of rigs...this is the part where I try to remain humble.

I hope that this helps in some small way

Brdymakr (Jeff)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I have 4 Monsters and a Creed. Creed is a tack driver but I still prefer my MR's but Creed is a great bow also. Shoot them and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well said brdymkr. You seem very knowledgable on the Mathews brand in general. Would love to bring my creed down and let you put a tune on it bro.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What a fantastic and detailed response! I'd wish more people would take the time to be a true student/professor of the sport!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i shot the creed, and imho i love my mr6 better, i absolutely hated the draw of the creed, especially with what the ibo is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like all of the monster series better the added weight seems to hold better on target and have heard that it is a lot harder to tune the creed. Just my opinion. I would buy the mr6 because of speed and brace height.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Jeff(birdymaker, he's a golfer too), I love your answers. I knew you were the Monster Man before and that excellent response only confirms it. And yet, you remain humble....a few here on AT could really learn from you on that part. I only have experience with the original Monster 6 and have been told that it's draw cycle is more difficult(faster too? but perhaps not worth it to some, I compensate by shooting lower poundage and help save my shoulder, back, and arms).

Jeff, jump right in and correct me, if I'm off base here. I have good reason to be humble-lots of ignorance!

ttt for a great post!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank u so much for the detailed response i shot although not enough all three and decide to buy a mr7 couldnt find an mr6 worth the price. I will say i shot the new hoyt and it pains me being a mathews shooter for hunting,3d, and indoors, that spyder really impressed me but anyway thanks again for info. I hope i like this monster ive never had a speed bow. I do go elk hunting hope the extra weight doesnt bother me too bad those colorado mountains will beat a man down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts