Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinkin about huntin the edge of a creek this bowseason. i have heard that huntin over water while it is hot is a good way to kill deer. what do yall think?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you can find a funnel type creek crossing you've got a good spot. If you can find a creek crossing like that between a bedding area and feeding area you are in business. If you can walk in the creek it can help mask noise and scent for you.

I've killed three deer at one particular funnel in the last two years. I've only hunted this spot 4 or 5 times and I ALWAYS see deer there.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hunt water sources mostly in the afternoons during bow season. I kinda figure that after a hot/warm day that the first thing they want after they get out of bed is a nice cool drink of water so most of my afternoon stands are around water.

-lee-

·
Registered
296 Posts
Jay and Lee summed it up quite well. Just watch your wind direction. The wind does funny things in low lying areas sometimes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In alot of areas such as the midwest, creek beds offer the only available cover after crops are harvested. In these cases the best hunting is usually along the creeks. In other areas of Big Woods, creeks will creat funnels that will filter deer right past a certain area... It might be a low place in the bank that most of the deer cross, it could be a hard bend in an otherwise stright creek that forces deer to move with the contour, it could be a beaver dam that will force deer around the edges of the pond. The key to hunting creeks isn't neccesarily the water source(because their is so much of it) but the routes deer are forced to take cecause of the creek. Remember, deer like to travel anywhere their is a change in edge cover, creek banks qualify! Good luck BTW what state are you hunting?

·
Registered
Pearson PitBull
350 Posts
I agree with what Big D says. I also think ponds may be more easily hunted because the wind is more predictable. I guess the creek crossings where I want to hunt, there is no way I can get confident with my scent. It just seems to go all over.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jay and Lee summed it up quite well. Just watch your wind direction. The wind does funny things in low lying areas sometimes.
This is so true. We put a tree stand down by a creek. We saw hundreds of deer tracks and were really excited about hunting it. I never got a chance. The wind was doing crazy things down there and it was pretty close to a bedding area. I probably could have hunted it but I didn't want to blow it for me and my hunting partner. We had other stands on up the trail and didn't want to chase the deer away. I still think it could be a good spot though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
creek stand

i hunt in middle tennessee. thanks yall fer your help. i didnt realize that there was sumuch stuff to huntin a creek.thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts