Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all what you all think of the self adhearing cresting you can purchase:confused: or would it pay to have done the right way and have painted on if so anyone care to suggest a shop than could do it thanks ....hawk thrower
:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
insta fletch

I used some of this vinal insta fletch for the first time this year and I like it so far, the feathers are sticking real well and it seems to be working, It sure speeds up the process

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i am using the ezewraps and they do a great job. it only adds about 10 to 15 grains for your arrows. i use them because i use turbo nock hunters and i can see where my arrow lands after the pass thru
rob k

·
Registered
916 Posts
Cresting

Speaking for myself, I prefer painted cresting.
I'll always tell the guys/gals try to support your LAS (local archery shop first) if it isn't feasable or perhaps they suck, then I'll be glad to give up two very reputable arrow makers in my neck of the woods.
They are:
Northwest Achery Co. at www.nwarchery.com or (206) 878-7361 ask for Suzanne St.Charles.
or try
Raptor Archery at www.raptorarchery.com or (541) 386-4503 ask for Ted Fry.
And I believe there's a member here that goes by broken_x I'll have to check and make sure that's his right call sign but he owns a shop called the Nock Point. I'm not sure if they handle traditional stuff though. But you could run the name Nock Point in a search engine and it should turn something up. Or under the bowhunter forum look for the title elk calls, he's the thread starter.

Out for now

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
it sure is a great way to get away from the mess of dipping for crown dip the arrow. I then still crest the arrow with my crest marks (3) colors red , yellow, and gold...My son is trying to make some special up from his computer with the redskin on the crest wrap and also my pro shop name with red and orange flames...

·
Registered
380 Posts
i don't remember where i saw it, but some one said go to an office supply place like office max and buy full sheets of bumper sticker paper and use something called " paintbrush" to do your own designs. sound familiar to anyone?
don

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for your repleys.i talked to a old yimer to at our black powder club meeting and he has all the equipment to do cresting.i have a bunch of old arrows im going to p[ratice on and see if i like the way they look,and if not i found a pro shop here in ohio that can do them .but a little pricy i think at $11 bucks an arrow.so im going to try my best at doing them myself thanks....hawk thrower
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
yes it was on another site, that what got me to send that total post to my son who is into computer. The gun had made all kinds of neat wraps from paintbrush, vinal sign material he got a walmart, he had viking football logo with flames, had redskins, also had just neat flames that faded and aso some like lighting bolts....

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
hawk -

The wraps just don't seem right to me, but I guess I fall into the old timer class.

Painting a crest isn't difficult, you can make a cresting lathe from an old electric motor and a few blocks of wood.

Just use good paint and brushes, a lot depends on how fancy you want to get.

Bohning has a full line of Fletch - Lac paints / supplies, but I've used every thing from enamals to acrylics to lacquers, with pretty good results.

BTW - someone mentioned dipping. I don't, as it becomes a hassle when you have to re-fletch. I just do the crest section in a simple pattern. The crest will / should out last the feathers or vanes.

Don't know what kind of shooting you do, but paint does add weight to the shaft, and it you're measuring grains, there might be inconsistancies. Your call, ;) .

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've always enjoyed cap dipping and cresting arrows. I use regular lacquer that I purchase from Sherwin Williams or other paint stores. Water base acrylics seem to be all the rage but I haven't experimented with them much. I like to paint wood and aluminum arrows but not so much carbons. Carbon arrows are pretty tough and often outlast the fletching. Unlike aluminum shafting, carbon shaft manufacturers don't recommend soaking the shafting in thinner which makes rebuilding them problematic. So, for carbons I prefer vinyl tape. The printed tape costs more than I charge for cap dip and crest - so much more, in fact, that I raised my prices, LOL. For vinyl tape, I prefer to visit the local sign shop, bring a piece of wrap with, and purchase more vinyl by the square foot for about $4. A few times I've gotten end-of-roll scraps for free. I cut the vinyl with a paper cutter to the wideth and length I want and have at it. It's just one color but the price is right and it's easy to do.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why mess with a good thing

Cresting is an art form. Stickers,,,sure they may be easy, but, why mess with a good thing. What do you want, a Rembrandt or a Kodak look alike? The choice is yours. I myself prefer the real thing,,,there's to many "wanna be's " out there. For tastefully done cresting at an apeasing price, I'd go with the Arrowsmith, Steve Lamke. of Brainerd, MN. I'm not just saying this cuz he's my husband, I'm saying this, as everyone, where ever we go, always compliments us on our arrows.
Nanny

·
Registered
916 Posts
Cresting

Nanny is there a website or any pictures?
Have fun
Out for now

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess I must be an old timer. I prefer to dip and crest my arrows the old fashioned way. It's not hard to do and it's fun. Things are just getting too easy these days. Leave those easy crests to the wheelie boys. Trad. ain't supposed to be quick and easy.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, robinhoodsgirl here! Yeah, I'm new and I don't really know what I'm talking about, but...
I saw on a website a guy who didn't use paint brushes at all, but a paint pen. He uses tape to keep in line and it turns out looking just like he used real paint.

Sound Good?
robinhoodsgirl:eek:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Interesting

RHG,
Do you have the website available?
And welcome to the sight RHG.

Domo Aragato
Out for now
:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have used the paint pens also and they work very well.You need to use the very fine tip ones.I also dipped them in laquer from the paint store.I made a crester out of an old can opener.I used a small peice of air hose on the motor shaft to hold the arrow shaft on.It' noisy but it worked.Slowbow

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot "traditional carbons" the GoldTip woodgrain finished 5575s. I used the plain white wraps for the following reasons:
A) I've shot carbons with feathers for years and cleaning them off to refletch is a BIG BIG pain in the extreme lower back----scraping, sanding, solvents and solvent residues. damaged shafts, etc.
With a wrap, when the fletching gets worn, a simple 3 min. dip in boiling water loosens the wrap adhesive and off comes wrap, painted on crown, battered fletching, and all, leaving a brand new looking smooth clean shaft ready to start over.
B) if you are worried about arrow weight and FOC balance is critical to your arrow selection--the wrap weighs less than good crown dip of paint of equal length.
C) fletching can be glued securely to the wraps without having to use the cyanoacrylate glues and their associated hazards.

There are a few drawbacks:
A) Cost--they cost anywhere between .75 and 1.00 apiece.
B) Solid colors are limited and patterns available seem a bit cliched--in my opinion.
C) They have to be put on RIGHT or you'll have bubbles and wrinkles.
D) Putting them on tapered shafts can be a problem
E) You may have to do some careful trimming, especially if you are doing a patterned wrap on a smaller diameter shaft

I havn't tried designing and printing my own wraps but will take it up this next winter

·
Registered
380 Posts
i went to an office supply place and bought a pack of full sheet label paper. 25 sheets 8 1/2 x 11. smudge free. the kind for my ink jet printer. i bought white but you can get neon colors. i can leave it as is or scan graphics on them. i can get at least ten wraps out of one sheet. i think the cost was about ten bucks for the pack.
don

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up some of the same 3 mil. selfadhesive vinyl as the wraps are made of at my local sign shop today. They have a gazillion colors I got an opalescent white and a cool orange--like OSHA orange but with a bit more red in it. they even have candy apple metallics.
Locally it cost me 2.50 per running foot 14" wide. Using a square and a sharp knife I get 22 wraps per running foot. (you do the math) I also found out that the sign painters vinyl is weather guranteed for 24/7/365 for outdoor use for 7 years---the carbons will last that long but i wish the feathers would.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts