Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These heads are new this year just got some out they fly great, I was totally impressed anybody elese?:D

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Price ?

What's the going price for them ? I've seen them sold around here for $34.95 for 3 . Is this the norm or they usually higher ?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The price is a little steep when there are many other broadheads out there that will do the trick. The accuracy of these broadheads is unbelievable to say the least, especially for a fixed blad head. I'm shooting these heads with a 2.3 inch vane and they hit pretty much in the same hole for as good as I can hold at all the distances I have shot them. I'm getting no planing and they hit in the same exact group as my field points. The only test left is to see how they work on game because the tunability and the awesome accuracy makes it easy for me to overlook the price. Anyone interested in a fixed blade head should seriously give these a look.

·
Registered
167 Posts
People are really excited about their flight characteristics, but most aren't impressed with their blades. Their blade thickness is absurd. I've seen some of these broadheads after they were shot into foam...totally destroyed. You can actually bend the blades with your fingers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Question

Are these broadheads banned in some states because of the thinness of the blades ?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The crimson talon broadheads seem to fly well, but I have talked to some guys that have bent blade in foam targets.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I dont know if anybody else looked at it but when you see something like they have on the package i kinda get wary.... it says absolutely no tuning neccesary... now come on guys i was born at nite but it wasnt last nite

·
Registered
287 Posts
shoes.....I wouldn't say EVERYONE....I for one will NOT sell them at my shop....they are the worst broadheads we've tested. Blades bent and broke while shooting into foam......no thanks!!!!

maco12
:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure what type of foam you guys are using, but I've shot mine into a foam target about 50 times, and I have no bent blades and they're still shooting perfectly. They are however, designed to bend when hitting something hard like bone to increase the chances of a passthrough. Therefore, you don't want to spend time doing stupid tests like shooting them into wood, steel, and cinderblocks. That tells you nothing about how they will perform on game. All the people I've talked with that used the Crimson Talons on wild game ie. deer, buffalo, etc. have had wonderful success. Also, in the targets I have shot them into, they have penetrated more than other fixed blades that I have used. So, if you're going to hunt with these broadheads I would highly recommend them. If you are shooting them into anything else, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
your not suppose to practice with them!!!!!!

just screw them on and go hunting.

lol........just kidding of course.....thats what the add says

·
Registered
26 Posts
just killed a doe opening day in kentucky with them. it put a hole a golfball would fit in . no problem deer went 5 yards..... :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's the cool part....we're all allowed our opinion....if I can't test'em, I won't shoot'em......(4.5 lb foam, by the way)

Also, what happens if you hit a rib bone on the way in???? It can't bend around it, so what then???? Sorry, but I want tests done that simulate hitting something hard like a bone......just in case......

As stated, shoot what you like....

maco12
:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i shot right through the rib. busted right through it and out the other side. blades are ok. dull but still in tact.. that at a live deer.. 5 yard recovery......

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I haven't had any bending or breaking of blades either and I have shot them numerous times into blocks of 6lb foam. I'm not sure what might be breaking or bending them in the foam you're shooting into, but mine haven't had any problems at all. I guess it's like anything out there. Half good responses and half bad. That's why they make so many different broadheads.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I shot thru an Alaskan black bear in Jun (when I say thru I mean I was sticking out the other side. Buried up to fletchings on entry) Only damage to blades was when the bear fell on the head dying. Bent the bottom of one blade a little. 12yd recovery. Awesome entry/exit wounds. My only thing about all of this is how guys argue about the price of the part that really does the killing. I don't get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with mhoman, archers will dump $1000.00 on a bow,
$100.00 a dozen on carbon arrows, $300.00 on a climbing
treestand, and gripe about $30 couple dollars for broadheads!
The broadhead is the final piece of the bowhunting puzzle,
don't scrimp here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
They flew great for me, they tell you if you shoot them into foam to push them through so the blades don't bend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the heads are awsome they do what they say. what is the big deal. you shoot at a animal and hit it you have to replace the blades anyway. who cares if they bend or break. guys spend 130.00 doz for arrows. 20.00 bucks on a cough muffler. dumb stuff like that and cry about 34.00. they dont cry about nap spitfires costing the same money ...... quit whining and hunt dont cry until you have killed something with them. something live not foam or tires or wood.. you all are wasting money shooting all of that other crap. sight it in and hunt.. know matter what head you use..

·
Registered
167 Posts
The owner of a bow shop I frequent was testing them for flight, but gave up after bending the blades in foam. But he did bring up an interesting thought...He asked me what in this world flies and is steered from the front? Nothing he could think of. Birds, planes, etc. all steer from the rear, so why would you want one of these helical heads on the front of your arrow to steer it?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts