Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an inexpensive cronogragh that screws into the stabilizer mount hole on your bow. It doesn't seem to be very consistent, arrow speeds vary up to 10fps for the same arrows. Is this a case of you get what you pay for or could I be doing something wrong to cause this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is this the one you're talking about? Arrowspeed Radar Chronograph

If it is I can't really say since I've never used that one for archery. They market this very same one for baseball/softball as well as paintball and that's what I used mine for was for paintball and would only see a +/- of 3 to 4 fps with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's the one. This is the first time I've tried one and wasn't expecting such a variance. I get almost equal amounts of highs and lows so I really don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No experience with that one but my tripod mount pro chrono varies only one or two fps at the most. Usually very consistant with no variation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try replacing the battery first cause I know that a weak battery will cause sporadic readings and if that's not it I would look into returning it.

If you paid the same price as retail you can get a much better one with more options like the ones from Shooting Chrony at a better price. I was able to pick up a F-1 Shooting Chrony off of ebay for $85 shipped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try a new battery tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a well lit room.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Just curious, are these speed checkers laser reflection, or some form of low frequency RADAR?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Even after a new battery

From my experience this will be about what you should expect. They do seem to have a lot of variance no matter the battery. But be sure and replace the battery any how

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
They are not junk, You get what you pay for. There very sensitive to lighting conditions. I experimented with one for several months. First make sure the battery's are good, You will get the best results on clear sunny days using this chrono. Make sure the arrow is no more then inch and a half above the center on the chrono. There also very sensitive to form (torque) Make sure you follow through with the arrow. From my findings its off about 5 fps +/- from a quality chrono. Again, you get what you pay for, its a inexpensive way to find out around about what speeds your shooting, until you can graduate to a quality chrono.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been shooting it indoors under flourecent lights. I've got a new battery and will try it outdoors also this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Spend the money and get a Pro Chrono with a indoor lighting package and it will last you forever..i used one for years and its great to have it setup indoors so all you have to do is trun it on and your ready to go..if you do a lot of experamenting with different arrow and draw weights its the chrongraph to have...JMO

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They are somewhat inconsistent and my two shooting friends have them and both register about 10 fps slower than my shoot thru chrono. Don,t worry about the light as they are not driven by light but by micowave technology.

We have had several conversations with the MFG and his biggest concern was microwave towers nearby. Arrow within 1" of the unit was recommended by MFG for best performance. It will give you a ballpark of where you are but that is about it.

If you need really accurate measurement of speed you will need a quality shoot thru.

My .02

Marc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts