Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about cross bows. I see that horton makes a steel force which is about a 150 pound bow. Will this bow keep me happy if I mainly want to hunt whitetail deer and do a little practice in my back yard?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I WOULD NOT recommend the Steel Force. I WOULD recommend the Horton Summit as an entry-level crossbow.

The Steel Force has a terrible trigger and is not conducive to good shooting. Spend just a hair more and get the Summit if you want a solid and smooth bow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excalibur

The top finishing crossbow in most competitions is a Excalibur. I myself have had 2 bows both were this brand. I can tell you i have competed in club shoots here in my area and nothing can come close to there power and accuarcy.We have seen others perform but not as good as this crossbow.Go to Excalibur.com and read all about them you wont be sorry with this bow thats for sure. The bow i use is the Excocet 200, 330feet per second 200lbs pull,use of cocking strings are a must.Look forward to hearing from you on this again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you want recurve limbs the Excalibur is the way to go. If you want a compound Horton makes some decent ones. The Steelforce is not much of a crossbow. I owned one, and it broke a limb tip the first shot! Took it back, got a refund, and saved until I could afford an Excalibur Vixen. Have owned nothing but Excalibur since then!

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insite. I thought that the steelforce might not be a good bow. Maybe I can find a good used bow.

Are there any advantages to having a compound crossbow? After all the trigger is holding the bow back.

I have never cocked a crossbow so I am thinking that I want a low pound bow that can be cocked by hand. Or do I need to get a high pound bow which requires some kind of cocking aid?

I have not checked the regulations but I think that Alabama requires a minimum of 100 pounds. So I don't know if I could cock this by hand or not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The only advantage that I know of is that a compound crossbow is narrower. Regardless of which type you have and the poundage, you should use some type of cocking aid, even just the rope cocker, to ensure that the string is centered each time you shoot. Just a small variation in how it is cocked can lead to accuracy problems. A cocking aid lets you cock it the same every time.

How much can you afford to spend. Here is a used Excalibur Vixen on the excal site. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14786

He's asking $425 canadian which is about $380 US and it has lots of extras. Pretty decent deal. (No, I don't know the guy selling it, or if he still has it.)

If it's gone keep checking back to the site, guys are always upgrading to the new models and you can get some good deals on used ones there.

When I bought my excal a few years ago I tried several different brands, once I shot the excalibur that was it. I even sold one of my rifles so I could get one.

Good luck!

huntin1

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
jim,

If you can find a pro shop that stocks crossbow go and look them over and possibly shoot all brands that you can.

Crossbows are like anything else, what is great for one person might not be for another.

Only you can determine what fits you.

Good luck and let is know what you decide on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts