Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into bow hunting and I've been looking for good crossbows to start off that aren't too pricey. Been eyeing the Barnett Wildcat C5, since that's cheaper than most of the other ones that they have in bass pro shops and I've heard some really good things about it. Since this is going to be my first crossbow, my budget is really going to be $450 at max. So I was wondering if the C5 is a good beginner bow, and what other crossbows might you guys recommend for a beginner.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would recommend you look for a Strike Zone 350 on the crossbow classifides, I have one and it's a lot of crossbow for the money. If I were you I would stay away from Cabelas and Bass Proshop because if you have a problem with the crossbow you will get the runaround and end up taking it to a proshop. They sell the SZ 350 but new the package will cost you about $650 so you might as well buy a slightly used one for about what your looking to spend.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
I sell all kinds of brands and that company is one of them I personally wouldn't buy. Also I wouldn't buy the Bowtech. Too many problems with both bows. My favorite are Ten Point/Wicked Ridge , Parker, Darton. In your price range take a very serious look at Wicked Ridge. better quality, better CS.
Lastly get out of the box stores.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
You might think abit on yer prioritys! How much shootin/practin are you gonna be doin ? Can you afford Shop fees fer a compound style crossbow? Jus throwin this out so you can see the whole of it. Cheap speed isn't the best overall setup when startin into the world of crossbows

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I'm not trying to sound snooty.....trust me I understand finances.....I'm just trying to be honest, in that price range I'd be looking for a used excalibur. Reliability and low maintenance. If you want a new one the only one I would go with is something in the wicked ridge line.

·
Registered
21,712 Posts
I'm not trying to sound snooty.....trust me I understand finances.....I'm just trying to be honest, in that price range I'd be looking for a used excalibur. Reliability and low maintenance. If you want a new one the only one I would go with is something in the wicked ridge line.
I agree

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
The bad thing about a used bow is, "no warranty" in case anything goes wrong.....Repairs come out of your pocket......I think I would continue to save my money and do research on crossbows as well go shoot a few bows to see what "fits" you........Don't buy something just for the sake of saying "Ive got a crossbow now".......I think a big reason that some people take up crossbow hunting, or verticle bow hunting for that matter, and then say 'It just ain't for me" is because they buy something that they are just not happy with.....Good luck with your endeavour.....

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
True but only 1% of people need a warranty with excalibur :) I know what you are saying but times are hard and I know people that can't go buy a new weapon. Every dollar they get is gone. I hate to see anyone denied the opportunity to enjoy this sport. If it were me I'd get the wicked ridge or used excalibur and get out there :) Lot of veteran hunters out there still using the Ibex and killing lots of deer :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bought a carbon express covert cx2 for my dad, (due to back issue) he loves it, shoots fast and accurate, I like it because it has a bunch of options you would find on higher end crossbows. you can find them used in good condition in your price range.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
True but only 1% of people need a warranty with excalibur :) I know what you are saying but times are hard and I know people that can't go buy a new weapon. Every dollar they get is gone. I hate to see anyone denied the opportunity to enjoy this sport. If it were me I'd get the wicked ridge or used excalibur and get out there :) Lot of veteran hunters out there still using the Ibex and killing lots of deer :)
I should have said, continue to save a little more money if that's what it takes so he didn't have settle on the Barnett......I hope he "gets out there" as well......When I got into crossbows I went and shot a few different bows and figured out that what I wanted I wasn't going to be able to buy one brand new, so I saved a little more money to what I budgeted and bought my Tenpoint used, which basically brand new, 2012 model.......

·
Registered
21,712 Posts
No question your better off to save up more cash. But sometimes that's hard to do. I still say Used Excalibur 150,175 or 200# you should be good to go. And have a bow to hunt with for years.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Thats a Deal, specially if'en they will throw in a rope cocker & ask what they will let you have a stringin aid fer

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I think its a great deal on a new Excal. I pay from $300 to $400 plus fer my used Vixens!

·
Registered
18,524 Posts

·
Banned
6,841 Posts
Where you from in Canada, ch? I really would like to see you get into the sport, my friend... If you are serious and decide to grab the Vixen II from W/S... I will send you a good illuminated red/green(20-50 yard) reticle crossbow scope with mounts to get you started, free of charge/shipping included... All you would need to buy is an Excalibur scope rail($25 + tax) for it... I'm sure others here on the "AT" have some stuff to help you out as well... Keep us posted on whatever you decide and we'll take it from there...:thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 48 Posts