Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I am in the market for a crossbow. Longtime deer hunter with some compound bow experience and lots of firearms experience. I am about to purchase my first crossbow. Usage is anticipated to be regular target practice (around 500 bolts per year), and approximately 6-10 days of whitetail deer hunting per season. Any input would be most appreciated. Here are my specifications:

1) Design: compound, not recurve.
2) Budget: $700-$1500, for a crossbow + scope + bolts and field tips. I'll buy additional bolts + broadheads, etc., after shooting it a bit.
3) Form factor: fairly compact. I hunt from treestands and blinds.
4) Lefty friendly: I am left handed, and insist on a 100% ambidextrous crossbow design.
5) Cocking: I like the crank system on the Ravin, and I like the easy letdown on the Sub1. I am fit and strong, but see no reason, given modern technology, to purchase a heavy to cock crossbow.
6) Trigger: No junk, grit, creep, slop, etc.
7) Scope: The supplied Ravin scope should be okay to start, although the reticle seems a bit busy. The Hawk also looks ok. Where I hunt, we get action at last light, so an HHA-based scope system may not work out well (hard to read dial in low light).
8) Build quality: I don't want a budget buster with low build quality/ poor fit and finish.
9) Pro shop independence: I prefer to do my own maintenance and would like to avoid dealing with a pro shop. Buying a press down the road to change strings is ok.
10) Speed: I don't need bleeding edge speed, but nothing pokey.

At the top of the price range, the two I like are the Mission Sub1 and the Ravin 9, with me leaning more heavily toward the Ravin 9 because I like the compact design and the arrow rest design. (I like the Mission Sub1 because 2 of my buddies have Mission crossbows and love them; the Matthews ownership; Sub1's small size; and the great reviews.) However, this weapon will be part of my weapons arsenal, and in an occasional use rotation with firearms and a compound bow. So, if there is something pretty darn nice at around $800, that would intrigue me. Once I get to around $1,000, I am inclined to just pay a few hundred more and get a Sub1 or a Ravin 9.

Any input would be most appreciated . Thank you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not sure but I think NY has size limits on X bows and think the Ravin is out Sub 1 not sure. Another option is the Scorpyd Deathstalker $850 bare bow and can change string and cables without press if needed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Never shot either one, held both many times, for me i'd go mission sub1 just by feel/fit/finish alone

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Well, the Mission bows can be serviced without a press, and as NJ said, the Deathstalker can be worked on without the press, though I believe you need a press to change limbs. Most compound crossbows will require a press to service, so if you want to do that yourself, it will cost extra. Ravin requires their own proprietary press. I suppose I'm an odd duck, but I'd be more likely to buy a MXB 400, or even the charge, before the Sub 1.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Or look in the classified on here for a pre owned great deal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, guys, njflinger is on the money. (Thank you, 'flinger....)
Here are the NY regs, in all of their nonsensical, buzzkilling glory:
Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.

NOT LEGAL IN NY:
Ravin crossbows;
Mission Sub 1;
Horton Storm RDX.
(Lots of the new Xbows that are sure to be introduced at ATA in a couple of weeks.....)

Looks like I am headed back to the drawing board.
I was really hoping to get something ultra narrow for mobility in tight hunting spots.

A Mission 400 or Charge is wide enough, as is a DeathStalker. Thanks for the rapid response, folks. Most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just like CT no folding stocks on X bows ?? That made buy another Scorpyd wit a solid stock. Lol And as far as I know Scorpyd is the only folding stock .

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Harrisburg show is next month most of the companies will have samples there. Scorpyd is the only one in that might not be there but Firenock usually has his there.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,814 Posts
NY and their outdated laws. Amazing these states can't see where the industry is going and how better weapons benefit all. I know if I were being hunted I'd want to be shot with the most efficient weapon available.

·
Happy Hunter
2,757 Posts
NY and their outdated laws. Amazing these states can't see where the industry is going and how better weapons benefit all. I know if I were being hunted I'd want to be shot with the most efficient weapon available.
Glad nobody shoots at me! LOL But you are absolutely right!

·
Tacos de Lengua! Sabrosa!
4,348 Posts
Since it’s NY, I’d really look at a Skorpyd Acules. I think the 135 throws arrows at 400 FPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts