Archery Talk Forum banner

Crossbow Enthusiast Looking to Buy a Crossbow

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bow hunting all day 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The Ravin bow needs a bow specific press. They are tougher on cables, string, cams, limbs, string and serving vs a recurve bow. If you can do your own maintenance then it is purely an individual preference. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

#3 ·
BigBowMan gave you a good answer, I may add that my neighbor purchased three Ravin R20 bows last hunting season and they had issues with the strings stretching on all of them. When he he went back to the dealer the dealer said he stopped selling them because of that problem. My neighbor had to wait for several weeks to get new strings which were fairly expensive. I have hunted with an Excalibur Equinox for 11 years and can highly recommend that bow, zero issues and extremely accurate. A friend of mine has an Assassin model takedown as I recall and likes it very much. Also Excalibur has been well regarded in terms of customer service.

#4 ·
Hello, I am a new crossbow enthusiast who is looking to buy a crossbow.

I am considering either the Ravin R29X (R29X CROSSBOW - Ravin Crossbows) or the Excalibur Assassin 420 series (Excalibur Bow Archive - Excalibur Crossbows).

How easy are the compound crossbows to maintain and repair?
Bryan, looks like you're going big. Both those crossbows are badass, but they're quiet different. As I'm sure you've figured out, the Ravin's a compound and the Excalibur's a recurve. The Ravin'll give ya that tight, tactical, ultra-compact and deadly accurate shot, and don't get me wrong, the Excalibur will give you that shot too, but the feel will be different because the 420Td's a recurve.

If you're going recurve, however, damn that 420'd make my mouth water. Before I got my Ravin, I read this review: https://www.bowscanner.com/ravin-crossbows-review/

I'm pretty sure that site's got an Excalibur review page too. Hope it helps, and share the new for what you choose when you do!
James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.