Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Took a pair of Parker Stingray crossbows bowfishing for stingrays on the Eastern Shore of Maryland last summer. Had a blast.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I would think that even the lowest poundage crossbow would stick the arrow deep into the bottom. We typically bowfish in less than 3ft of water.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I would think that even the lowest poundage crossbow would stick the arrow deep into the bottom. We typically bowfish in less than 3ft of water.
The Parkers we were using were set at 125#. We didn't have any issues with the arrows sticking down into the bottom of the bay. Most of the water depth was about 3-4 feet were we were fishing.

I am working on a bowfishing project now. Taking a 100# crossbow and outfitting it up with all kinds of bowfishing accessories for a article in a future issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you bowfished with him before? He is first class and will put you on a lot of rays. It is a great trip.
We went out with Marc last July ....but wind , rain and tides were against us . Still we managed 2 fish . So we are going back to redeem ourselves .......and "YES!" Marc is a class a guy .... would recommend Dusk To Dawn charters to one and all .
Glen

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Parkers we were using were set at 125#. We didn't have any issues with the arrows sticking down into the bottom of the bay. Most of the water depth was about 3-4 feet were we were fishing.

I am working on a bowfishing project now. Taking a 100# crossbow and outfitting it up with all kinds of bowfishing accessories for a article in a future issue.
How does your system work ? ....... do you use the AMS (milk bottles ) with big game floats ?
Glen

·
I like big buffs!
4,272 Posts
That's a fattie southern! I've been out there a few times, and it's an absolute blast!

Southerns and Atlantics are great eating, and I'm not a big fish eater. I've heard from pretty much everyone the cow nose are garbage. They are still worth shooting though...very strong fighters.

If you can shoot a vertical THATS the weapon of choice. Take that to the bank. The x-bow will work, but IMO they are way too heavy draw weight, slow to reload and slow and cumbersome to fight a fish with. If you were going solely after big rays, gator gar, or shark and using floats you might be ok, but for most freshwater shooting you're just gonna get frustrated. Especially if you're shooting with guys who are outfitted with low draw weight Oneidas and spin cast reels. In other words-experienced bowfisherman ;)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
How does your system work ? ....... do you use the AMS (milk bottles ) with big game floats ?
Glen
Marc recommended the floats but we went with the standard AMS package that is part of the Parker Stingray crossbow. No floats. A few rays managed to almost run us out of line but we managed to stop them before hat happened. Wearing gloves to get some pressure on the line without rope burn sure helps.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
If you can shoot a vertical THATS the weapon of choice.
That's what I was thinking when I read the title. After looking at those rays I'd say a low poundage xbow would get the job done, though.

I shoot carp in the sloughs along Lake Michigan with a 50# Bear recurve I bought at a pawn shop. Yes the lower limb is twisted some but I don't care. I seldom shoot more than 15-20 feet. My scenario is when I shoot a big carp over about 20-30# or so, I grab the 100# test braided line and throw the bow into the water behind me while I hand line the fish in. It also keeps the Zebco 808 real attached to the front of the bow lubricated :)

When I get into the carp I have shot over 100 in a day by wading the shallows 3 feet or less. This means I will shoot until I cannot pull the bow back anymore, then I'll try throwing the arrow at them (just kidding of course).

I'd like to try that big game bowfishing sometime.

·
Registered
21,577 Posts
What do you do with the carp?
All I would have to do is turn the poundage down on my mission 320. And get the stuff that goes in the bow.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I use an old Onedia Eagle for carp. The best fishing bows are ones you don't worry about if tossed in the water.

·
I like big buffs!
4,272 Posts
That's what I was thinking when I read the title. After looking at those rays I'd say a low poundage xbow would get the job done, though.

I shoot carp in the sloughs along Lake Michigan with a 50# Bear recurve I bought at a pawn shop. Yes the lower limb is twisted some but I don't care. I seldom shoot more than 15-20 feet. My scenario is when I shoot a big carp over about 20-30# or so, I grab the 100# test braided line and throw the bow into the water behind me while I hand line the fish in. It also keeps the Zebco 808 real attached to the front of the bow lubricated :)

When I get into the carp I have shot over 100 in a day by wading the shallows 3 feet or less. This means I will shoot until I cannot pull the bow back anymore, then I'll try throwing the arrow at them (just kidding of course).

I'd like to try that big game bowfishing sometime.
If you use a x-bow I'd turn it as low as it'll go. Even on the biggest rays we don't use more than 30-35lbs or so. The only fish you really need heavy weight on is really big buffs. We tried putting a backup shot into a 65lb one and my buddy kept bouncing arrows off it...I was shooting 50lbs and he had 55lbs...both Oneidas. Those things are TOUGH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts