Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally figured it out. I've read many forums about crossbow flu flus. Nobody had ever even had an idea for them except reversing the fletchings. That still dosent really make a flu flu. The idea behind a flu flu is to have a light arrow with a lot of drag so that it can slow easily. But they traditionally have fat feather fletchings to slow the arrow down quickly. But because of the groove in the barrel of the crossbow it's hard to have long feather fletchings in that shallow groove. So I've spent a while thinking of ideas. I toke about 12 inches of a crossbow bolt and then 14 inches of arrow vertical bow arrows that fit inside the shaft of the crossbow bolt and super glue it about 2 inches down the crossbow shaft, giving you 24 total inches. This seams like an un necessary step but it gives the light bolt a better FOC with so much drag. And it's hard to find 24 inch crossbow bolts. Now for the most important part. The vanes, take 4, 5-6 inch peices of ductape and press them together on the shaft giving you 2 square vanes 180 degrees apart. Then cut them to make it more of a fletching look. This gives it less lift and more drag. It also keeps the DIY fletchings from pulling the arrow off of its course. Optionally I used a home made snaro as the point, just to make it a little easier to hit some small game targets.
I've tested it a few times and using my 40 yard cross hair on a level target, the bolt only made it about 20 yards before landing on the ground. I think that this will be perfect for ariel targets like doves, geese, and pheasants. I just wanted to put this out there because I've seen a lot of people asking about this. My ipad won't let me add photos, but as soon as I do I figure it out I'll add some

·
Banned
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
:set1_rolf2: cant help it
that thing looks like a rebellious kniting needle
but if it works for you..:zip:

·
Registered
462 Posts
youngbowpa, i dont mean to come off like a db,
no diss intended, all in fun. welcome to the forum bro
um..what crossbow are you shooting those from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts