Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious...has anybody else had unpleasureable experiences with crossbow hunters? i hunt mostly public land here in GA and have come across several crossbow hunters with no ethics or manners. one fellow shot 70 yards at a deer 10 yards behind me and stuck it between the shoulder blades. this is not the only instance of unpleasureable experiences. do y'all think when gun season starts that these bolt-slingers will leave the archery only areas. also, one more question, can crossbows qualify for a pope and young entry? any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Here's an unpleasurable experience for New York State hunters. Poaching with crossguns

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
hmmmmmm, another crossbow bashing thread? You guyz need another hobbie. Just go over to other thread, so I don't have to type in 100 times how big a fools you are.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Sarah Brady would be proud of some of these alleged archers. blame everyone who uses a certain weapon because a FEW people violate the laws. I own a bunch of 22 rifles-1000 times more popular for poaching.

BIggest poaching ring in my district was a guy using a compound bow along with a 270

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
ugabowhunter, now that I think of it - I have come across several unethical hand drawn bow hunters, gun hunters, football players, cops and circus clowns. Maybe nobody should get to bowhunt, gunhunt, play football, expect police protection or get to go to the circus?

Hmm.........

Sean

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
SHOW ME

Jim C.,
Wasn't you who said a few months back that nobody would use a bow for "poaching", and "serious poachers would never use a crossbow? Now you expect us to believe that big poaching ring involved someone poaching with a compound bow? Where's the proof of this story. I want to see it.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Wasn't you who said a few months back that nobody would use a bow for "poaching", and "serious poachers would never use a crossbow? Now you expect us to believe that big poaching ring involved someone poaching with a compound bow? Where's the proof of this story. I want to see it.

Its MORONIC to whine about LEGAL uses of a weapon by citing illegal uses-that is what Handgun control inc did.

Email me and I will tell you the guy in question. He claimed bow kills with deer shot with a 270-that is "using a compound" since that was his cover. BTW there have been several "out of season" or fictitious (ie alias) violations by compound shooters.

Its illegal to poach with any weapon: using that to whine about legal xbow hunting is stupid. We don't have a poaching problem with xbows in OHio.

then again we don't have a problem with a carpet bagging twit pretending to be our senator either:D :D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
He claimed bow kills with deer shot with a 270-that is "using a compound" since that was his cover.
That is quite a bit different than what you were implying, wasn't it.
BIggest poaching ring in my district was a guy using a compound bow along with a 270
NOT THE SAME THING.In this case the bow was only the scapegoat, not the alleged poaching weapon.

·
Banned
333 Posts
ugabowhunter,

I had no idea that there was a prob. with xbow hunters on wma's . It is a shame . they made them ok to hunt with in ga. last year . I bought one this year .. I did not like it.. it went to EBAY . never hit the woods . I guess i'm just a bow guy . xbow, bow rifle or any other weapon , there is NO excuse for poor shots or a 70 yrd. crossbow shot!! can't believe he hit the animal at all at that yardage. that guy is just a pi** poor sportsman . nothing to do with the crossbow .... it is the person !! he more than likely would take the same shot with acompound ... IDIOT that he is .. and welcome to ar. talk. ....tool....:( :(

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
wrong jimmy: he shot the deer with the bow after the gun kill to try to cover up the bullet wound. He prominently had the bow displayed when he checked the deer in during bow season.

The state can forfeit any device, weapon, vehicle etc used to facilitate or commit poaching. The bows and the rifle were confiscated. AS A MATTER OF LAW, it was conclusively proven that the compound bow was so used. Other allegations included bow shooting some bucks out of season or after the buck tag had been filled. I don't know if those counts were established or if there was contrary proof that those deer had been bowshot.

the guy was a top archer and won a 3D shoot I was part of before this came out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts