Archery Talk Forum banner

Crossbow hunting in the rain

2714 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Bob Stout
In my research to learn as much as I can about my new crossbow, I am reading countless articles and watching all sorts of videos. One person I watched said you should avoid hunting with a crossbow in the rain and if I do, keep the rail completely dry. I thought that was odd. Can you please explain this to me? Is what he said a bunch of hooey or are there precautions I should take. It will be November soon and wet hunting can be common.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Crossbow Broke
10,028 Posts
Hunt away! keep your scope covered so you can make the shot and dry it off when you get home. Its just like a gun in the fact a wet crossbow will rust in a case. Crossbow hunting is just like vertical bow hunting in the rain. The blood trails will quickly wash away.

· Registered
28,354 Posts
That is bologna but one thing to keep in mind when bow hunting in the rain is your blood trail is going to vanish quickly. I rarely hunt in the rain due to this reason alone. Even on much dampness you'd be surprised how quickly it can vanish. If you hunt in the rain take extra precaution to what shots you take. If your bow gets soaked you do want to dry it off soon as you get in to make sure parts don't rust up. Hair dryer works good for spots you can't reach. Drop some oil in the trigger box.

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is bologna but one thing to keep in mind when bow hunting in the rain is your blood trail is going to vanish quickly. I rarely hunt in the rain due to this reason alone. Even on much dampness you'd be surprised how quickly it can vanish. If you hunt in the rain take extra precaution to what shots you take. If your bow gets soaked you do want to dry it off soon as you get in to make sure parts don't rust up. Hair dryer works good for spots you can't reach. Drop some oil in the trigger box.
Thanks, that's what I figured but I thought I would ask the experts. Yes I know about rain and blood trails, this is my 35th year of deer hunting. I do like your hair drier idea.

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Biggest problem would be your trigger rusting up. I have a very small air compressor I can blow my trigger out . Some say don't oil the trigger but I do not much though.

I've never shot a soaked crossbow if it's raining I'm home or in a blind :). Payed my dues in the rain when I was a pup lol. But I'd say it's fixin to throw water everywhere.

· Registered
151 Posts
That is what my nylon GI poncho is tied to my backpack for ....when I am moving to and from the stand my crossbow is across my back on a sling ...the poncho covers all if needed ...I also do not hunt in the rain ...due to the blood trail loss ...but if caught in the rain out comes the poncho to either remain on the stand with poncho again covering all ...or marching to the car

Bear

· Registered
3,409 Posts
When hunting in the rain with my crossbow I keep the scope and trigger box covered. I had trouble with a trigger getting stiff from water getting in it. Other than that I keep my shots to a minimum. Deer like to move rain or shine. I have seen and shot many deer in the rain. Keep your shots closer for less margin for error and they will go down close by. I also use a tree umbrella or hunt from a blind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.