Archery Talk Forum banner

If legal(ized) in my state I would consider hunting deer with a crossbow....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If legal(ized) in my state I would ( or have already) consider hunting with a crossbow in the following scenarios (choose the one that best fits your opinion)....

1. ...as a replacement to my current archery set-up.
2. ...in addition to my current archery set-up.
3. ...as a means to get back into archery.
4. ...to extend the age/years at which I can hunt deer during the archery season.
5. ...as a newcomer that has never bowhunted before.
6. ...over my dead body!

·
Registered
215 Posts
If legal(ized) in my state I would ( or have already) consider hunting with a crossbow in the following scenarios (choose the one that best fits your opinion)....

1. ...as a replacement to my current archery set-up.
2. ...in addition to my current archery set-up.
3. ...as a means to get back into archery.
4. ...to extend the age/years at which I can hunt deer during the archery season.
5. ...as a newcomer that has never bowhunted before.
6. ...over my dead body!
6. i can shoot a bow why would i shoot a crossbow

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I used a crossbow due to an injury this year. I'm glad I'm healed and done with it. Otherwise I would have zero interest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
kill'n deer, drink'n beer
9,745 Posts
I think the only way you can get a crossbow permit (yes it should be separate) is...

1) dis-abled. (physically, or the great hunts that they bring mentally dis-abled hunting, I think its good for them if they are interested in hunting)
2) too young to shoot a vertical bow. it really irks me to see a a perfectly healthy 16, or any able bodied person go out and stack them with a crossbow just cause its easier..
3) to old/brittle to shoot a vertical bow.

I also think the special crossbow permits you should have to take a yearly test at your bow shop to prove you can not, for any of those 3 reasons, shoot a minimum required bow. testing by the local archery shop for his decision if you are abled, cause the pro will know that drawing a bow is a lot different in the cold!

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I plan on getting a crossbow to hunt with..see nothing wrong with them and they are pretty fun to shoot..Now that we have a xbow season here in IL for anyone, why not use it?

·
9,745 Posts
I plan on getting a crossbow to hunt with..see nothing wrong with them and they are pretty fun to shoot..Now that we have a xbow season here in IL for anyone, why not use it?
cause its another thousand dollars to hunt after gun season lol. have fun crossbow huntin!! its your decision!

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
its already here in Indiana it ws our first year and I have bought one I used it in addition to my vert bow I will over time I am sure as i get older there will be a day I will put up the vert bow all toghther .Nust and FYI or DNR posted the numbers of or first xbow season tag sales ..lol We sold just a touch over 3800 xbow tags this year ..Now that said last year when it was legal but only in late season and for handicapers we had right at 1500 xbowers .. LOL

Many of you guys are worried about nothing its not the big anti christ of bowhunting that some of you sell it as .Second they are very limiting in a treestand ..I know a hunters shooting window is much less you can not shoot behind your tree for almost 90 degrees because of the limbs.And second shot is not gona happen ever .So bow hunters have most the advantages to them I know I shoot both .

·
9,745 Posts
not all woods see gun hunters so its no big deal for me
lucky man! my woods dont really either, but its still not as bad. good luck with the Xbow!

·
Registered
556 Posts
They have been legal here in Ohio for 3 decades. I hunt with both. Just depends what I feel like carrying into the woods that day.

·
Human Bean
14,927 Posts
You don't have the option that would really apply to me.

I would ONLY get a crossbow if I couldn't manage my compound anymore. And even then, I would be more apt to go with the DrawLok instead of a regular crossbow.

That being said, I think this is a choice that should be left to the individual, and not banned just because a handful of people "don't like them". In other words, I fully support the inclusion of crossbows for everybody as their individual choice. I have no problem with saying "Not for me". I have a big problem with telling others "Not for you".

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think it would be nice to have an alternative once I am to old to pull back a compound

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
When I get to the point in my life that I can't shoot the vertical bows that I've enjoyed for so many years, I'll hang it up.....there is so much more to archery than killing!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
...as a means to get back into archery.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I would shoot a cross bow if I had a dissability that would prevent me from using a compound or recurve - as a means of getting back into archery would be the best fit i guess.

·
Premium Member
26,835 Posts
I Choose to own a Crossbow because i want too.And if i want to hunt with one and its legal i will.....Grizz

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will be buying one for my birthday present to myself this year. I have bow hunted for 52 years now and still do. Now that they are legal here in Virginia I will add one to my array of devices. Shoot if they legalize hatchet season I will be looking for one of those too. Bow, Rifle, Black Powder now Crossbow it is all fun. The rip is they sell another permit and don't add a single additional hunting day to the season. Maybe they well start selling hunting days like they do bounce tags now. All about the money with the government now days.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
9,957 Posts
I believe that I am FAR more effective with a modern compound, than I would be with a crossbow.

Therefore, the only reason that I would hunt with a crossbow, would be that I couldn't hunt with a modern compound. For whatever reason.

I do NOT consider a crossbow, to be any sort of advantage at all.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I might carry one during rifle season when I've gotta be decked out in orange.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe that I am FAR more effective with a modern compound, than I would be with a crossbow.

Therefore, the only reason that I would hunt with a crossbow, would be that I couldn't hunt with a modern compound. For whatever reason.

I do NOT consider a crossbow, to be any sort of advantage at all.
how is having a scope and the ability to use a shooting brace not an advantage?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts