Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking around, Zeiss, Vortex, Leopold, all discontinued as far as I can tell. Trijicon still sells one but it's spendy.

What's out there. I'd rather stay away from Chinese optics.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Vxr 2x7, 25 yard paralax, lighted firedot

·
Registered
135 Posts
Leupold mark ar mod1 scope with the p5 turret. It's not illuminated, but not really needed. Super light weight, amazing glass. You just need to learn how to use and mark the turret.

·
Huntoholic
10,677 Posts
The XB-30 Pro SR is as good as it gets for dedicated crossbow scope, I think it is the scope responsible for the demise of the XBR, XB-75, and Crossbones, I had them on bows and now I own 4, XB-30's, Chinese or not,, they are the best I have found at any price, and evidently their are quite a few out there with the same opinion?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
For the vast majority of users, the scopes that come on the bow packages work just fine. The high end optics companies can't sell enough to justify making them.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Hawke XB 30 PRO is the preferred crossbow scope by many. It's a pretty clear scope that seems to gather light fairly well. I used to have one on my previous bow but to be honest, I really didn't like it all that much.

I found the XB 30 PRO to be too heavy for my liking. And other than the first couple reticles all the other drop down reticles are simply too small for my vision. They are tiny.

My SUB-1 came with a Hawke XB-1. It's obviously lighter in mass weight, which I'll take any day for a crossbow scope. It is also clear enough but it does not gather quite as much light as the XB 30 PRO due to the smaller tube. I found it plenty good enough to see a deer at last light but I did need to turn on the illumination once so far in order to see the cross hair. But that's what the illumination feature is for. I find that it's plenty easy enough to activate the rheostat to still get a shot in poor light conditions.

Personally I wouldn't trade my XB-1 for an XB 30 PRO as I consider the XB-1 all the scope anyone needs on a crossbow. We are not shooting rifles at 300 yards.

Good luck on your search.

·
Bringer of truth
14,831 Posts
if you take a good look at the new Hawke crossbows scope thread on here you will see why the scope manufactures have bailed out.

It just way to difficult to build a scope for crossbows that will please everyone. For average hunting situations any decent factory scopes will work fine.

Folks will also not spend the money to jump up to the next level. The crossbow scope enthusiast pockets go deep at about 300.00.

Most folks will not buy a non illuminated scope for a crossbow as an upgrade, if the illumination is needed or not is actually quite meaningless to most would be buyers.

I think the new Hawke scopes will be a fantastic upgrade, i would love to see the windage stuff gone though for sure.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
All you have to do is watch the classifieds on here and, you can get what you want eventually. There is a XBR on there now. There isn't anything new so, look lightly used.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Probably your best bet trying to stay away from Chinese. Is a Optimizer and a Leupold or like scope. If you stick with a 2x7 from my experience. You can still have 20,30,40 yd aiming points using the tips of the Duplex's as 20 and 40 using the crosshair as 30 yds. Adjusting the power ring should work giving you this. Marking the power ring at this point so you can return. Then using the optimizer you can take advantage of the power range of the scope. For what ever reason might come up.|

Im using the Vortex XBR i have fixed aiming dots out to 60 yds that are very close. And i have the turret marked with a yardage tape. So i can use it same as the optimizer scope combo. But i have 10 power that i use way more than i ever thought i would hunting.

Id like to see vortex reintroduce the XBR with some changes. On a crossfire scope its got plenty good enough glass and more affordable. Heck most gun hunters i know dont have $200 scopes on there rifles. So no way there spending more on scope for a bow.

I only bought the XBR scopes after they went on clearance. And learned a different way of using them. I agree theres just not a market for high dollar crossbow scopes. That leaves the optimizer.For those that wish a better scope.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Not sure I personally need a "crossbow reticle", but I get how they are useful depending on how a person hunts. All of my hunting is 40 and under, so the duplex thing that rt2 describes above is how I set my Leupold up. I don't need an optimizer. I also have a Pin Point scope that is the best for low light that I've seen, much better for me than the Trophy Ridge Hawke. I would think that the Leupold VXR, set up like bowman said, would be a great setup. Have to save up for that one though. I have the 3x Pin Point, and will be looking to get one of the discontinued 1-4x this year.

·
Bringer of truth
14,831 Posts
Probably your best bet trying to stay away from Chinese. Is a Optimizer and a Leupold or like scope. If you stick with a 2x7 from my experience. You can still have 20,30,40 yd aiming points using the tips of the Duplex's as 20 and 40 using the crosshair as 30 yds. Adjusting the power ring should work giving you this. Marking the power ring at this point so you can return. Then using the optimizer you can take advantage of the power range of the scope. For what ever reason might come up.|

Im using the Vortex XBR i have fixed aiming dots out to 60 yds that are very close. And i have the turret marked with a yardage tape. So i can use it same as the optimizer scope combo. But i have 10 power that i use way more than i ever thought i would hunting.

Id like to see vortex reintroduce the XBR with some changes. On a crossfire scope its got plenty good enough glass and more affordable. Heck most gun hunters i know dont have $200 scopes on there rifles. So no way there spending more on scope for a bow.

I only bought the XBR scopes after they went on clearance. And learned a different way of using them. I agree theres just not a market for high dollar crossbow scopes. That leaves the optimizer.For those that wish a better scope.

yes.....take that scope and get the turret in there from the xbr.....that would be awsome.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm looking for Leupold to reintroduce a crossbow specific scope with illumination, multi crosshair and speed selectable. Hopefully they'll use the VX-R platform. They've sure heard it enough from me ! LOL

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm looking for Leupold to reintroduce a crossbow specific scope with illumination, multi crosshair and speed selectable. Hopefully they'll use the VX-R platform. They've sure heard it enough from me ! LOL
I would buy that in a heartbeat, after using a Hawke XB-30 pro for a year I'm ready for open iron sights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts