Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horton crossbow which had shot well until late last year. Hard to tune in, throws at least one of every five bolts 4-6 inches off point of aim in both elevation and windage. Had the bow checked, string reserved, no change.

It has a one year old Horton bow scope on it, but the bow is one of the older types which had a dial on the bow to raise or lower the sight. It is locked now that the Horton scope with the plex reticle is on it. Can't see what would cause the bow to be so inconsistent except the sight though. I guess I will try replacing it and see what happens. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Probably not in the scope if all is tight. What arrow set up are you shooting, and how do you cock the bow? Field tips or b-heads?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
befus said:
Horton crossbow which had shot well until late last year. Hard to tune in, throws at least one of every five bolts 4-6 inches off point of aim in both elevation and windage. Had the bow checked, string reserved, no change.

It has a one year old Horton bow scope on it, but the bow is one of the older types which had a dial on the bow to raise or lower the sight. It is locked now that the Horton scope with the plex reticle is on it. Can't see what would cause the bow to be so inconsistent except the sight though. I guess I will try replacing it and see what happens. Any ideas or suggestions?

Are you consistanly cocking the string and making sure it is evenly held by the trigger catch? Place some white -out on both sides of the nock, and use that as a reference point.

Are you shooting Bh'S?

Dave

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deer Dave said:
Are you consistanly cocking the string and making sure it is evenly held by the trigger catch? Place some white -out on both sides of the nock, and use that as a reference point.

Are you shooting Bh'S?

Dave
Not sure what you mean by the white out, but it does the same with either field points and broadheads. In what way could one check to see if the trigger catch was evenly holding the string?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can explain the white out thing. When your bow is not cocked, you take white out and mark the string serving on each side of the rail. Once you do that you can see if the string is centered when cocked by looking at the marks. If you are shooting alum arrows, is there a possibility some are bent just a tad? Since you have a Horton, you are using moon nocks correct? One tip for ya, solve your problem w/ field points before adding b-heads to the mix. Good luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd suggest numbering the arrows and make sure a bad arrow isn't the problem. If it's consistantly putting 4 out of 5 in a good group it could be one arrow has something wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be scope problems

I had difficulties with my rifle doing the same thing. I discovered that the cross hairs in the scope would float on certain magnifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts