Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOLKS,
New to the site & crossbow forum.
Due to medical problems I bought an Excalibur EXOCET w/all the goodies from Dan Miller in OHIO. I have been shooting as often as I'm able & notice the serving is wearing. Does anyone replace it themself-send it to a bow shop-or just throw it away ? If you do replace it -how is it done ?
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
Hope I get to see a nice buck this year.
Also have any of you shot a black beear with the crossbow & where /whom do you reccomend as an outfitter for a color phase bear next year.
SOUP

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
soup said:
FOLKS,
New to the site & crossbow forum.
Due to medical problems I bought an Excalibur EXOCET w/all the goodies from Dan Miller in OHIO. I have been shooting as often as I'm able & notice the serving is wearing. Does anyone replace it themself-send it to a bow shop-or just throw it away ? If you do replace it -how is it done ?
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
Hope I get to see a nice buck this year.
Also have any of you shot a black beear with the crossbow & where /whom do you reccomend as an outfitter for a color phase bear next year.
SOUP

I am a stringmaker for years and thus I replace my own. Its easy to do. You just detach the riser from the stock and get one of those tools (cheap) to spread the string enough to feed some serving thread through the string. You have to make sure you don't shoot so long that you damage the main strings or the string is toast. I don't have a quick link to how to serve but any proshop ought to be able to show you. Where do you live BTW?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Serving is easy, but it's hard to explain how to do. The advice to go to a pro shop sounds good. If you buy a serving tool & serving material from the shop they will probably be happy to show you how to use it. I'd ask them for regular crossbow serving material. A couple companies make serving designed specifically for crossbow strings.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Jim C

Please talk a bit about the best materials for crossbow string and serving. I've made my own press and serving jig and have practiced making strings (from 100 lb fishing line I picked up in Alaska). Have decent technique from watching a string maker. His crossbow knowledge is, unfortunately, limited so I'm getting his compound bow perspective mostly. I'm eager to learn more so I can make my own strings and cables from scratch just because it's fun. Desperatly need more knowledge about materials if I'm going to feel confident usinge them. (Had a brand new factory string let go so know what that's like... want to avoid it at all cost).
Any info on resoure literature about no. of strands per type of material, serving material diameter for different parts of string/cable, etc would also be welcomed. FYI, shooting a Parker Terminator, i.e. 150 lb draw.

PS. Newly retired. Have half dozen stands up on 3 properties (checked out another with a real 'honey hole' tonight) and have access to another 500 acres devoted to just deer. So, I'm looking forward to my first full year of crossbow hunting. Got my bow late last yr. Hunted just long enough to miss a buck TWICE. Season opens Sat. Can't wait. Sat a stand last night and was rewarded by seeing a shoving match between two bucks. Then one chased the other within 3 yards of the base. After countless deer with rifles then handguns, I'm feeling like a kid again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts