The order allows the use of crossbows for all licensed hunters during
all phases of the archery season in Zone 3 (southern Michigan) and
allows anyone over the age of 50 to use a crossbow during archery season
statewide without having to obtain a special permit. The NRC has asked
the state legislature to create a crossbow stamp to assist in tracking
the use of crossbows during the archery season. The regulations, which
may take effect this fall, are in place for a period of three years
after which they will be evaluated. As further information, becomes
available Michigan Out-of-Doors Magazine and MUCC will keep you updated.

I hate this. My Dad has a crossbow permit. He is disabled. To me that is what they are for. How will this impact are hunting?
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
I believe that in the short term it will put more people in the wood. Long term it will make no difference in the number of hunters. The novelty of the whole thing will wear off in a few years.

I am not in favor of Crossbows in MI only for selfish reasons. I have no desire to see more hunters in the MI woods. However, it is not really about me.

· Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm not real happy about this myself....

I dont know much about crossbows...so can anyone figure why the speed of the crossbow would even matter??

This was "copy and paste" right off the Michigan DNR website??....

Included in the regulations are limits on the velocity of the crossbow. Crossbows used for hunting are restricted to no more than 350 feet per second.

· Registered
10,965 Posts
hunting is hunting.......
legal means is legal means..............

we have had crossbow hunting for eons in Ohio, and still shoot some of the biggest bucks on earth:thumbs_up

Hunters staying together is what it's all about

· Registered
204 Posts
I live in Central Ky and crossbows have been legal for several years now.
Crossbows season last through most of archery season. In my area crossbows are almost a non-issue. There were only 22 deer killed with a crossbow in my county (Hardin) in 2008. If you would like to check some stats go to the KY DFW website and check out deer seasons and telecheck results by weapon at http://fw.ky.gov/

I know one person that bought a crossbow last year, and I don't think he ever went hunting. I bought a compound bow, and had my best year deer hunting ever. I am glad I chose the compound. It is fun to shoot and gets the job done.

Good hunting to you and your friends regardless of what weapons you choose to use.

· Registered
1,973 Posts

we have had crossbow hunting for eons in Ohio, and still shoot some of the biggest bucks on earth:thumbs_up

BRAVO:thumbs_up well said. I'am so tired of these stupid threads.:thumbs_do

· Registered
303 Posts

+1, very well said.

· Registered
10,662 Posts
It is but one small step towards full inclusion. They shoudl have went full Monty and been done with it..Now, three years from now we will be back at it again...

BTW - The 350 fps is an unenforcable rule..

· Registered
4,478 Posts
It sucks..
I feel for the stateland guys who enjoy archery season because its a good time to get out with out the crowds....

IMO Oct 1 just became a camoed Nov 15th...MI bowhunting has just been cheapened

· Registered
1,143 Posts
My brother has the permit and hunts with a crossbow due to a shotty shoulder, I let him know he's a big ###### everyday we go hunting, I gotta give him a hard time, it's my duty. My only beef with crossbows is they are not archery sorry. Maybe there should be a time and a place for them but they should not be the easy alternative to bows - they are for people who can't draw a hunting bow.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
why ya'll sweating the crossbow? do you feel the same way about inlines being used during blackpowder season? really if its a legal means of harvesting why discriminate. i fail to see where in any state this is going to hurt hunting.
There's a reason deer seem to disappear on the Nov 15th..
The orange army just went camo... If this doesn't make sense then you don't know what its like to hunt in MI especially in S MI..

But whatever, whats done is done..Yes your a fellow sportsman, I'll stand by your side jut like I will any sportsman whether we agree or not..but if your an able bodied hunter don't bring your x-gun to bow camp...

· Registered
145 Posts
I don't care what they use, as long as they are responsible with it. If they practice, scout, know the land, make ethical shots, and are able to go as unnoticed in the woods as possible it will be fine.
If they are just in it for the novelty, and only take their "weapon" out once per year (like some gun hunters...or some archers for that matter), usually the day before their hunt, and go out there with the idea of "shooting" and not hunting, then I feel it will have a negative impact on most other archers.

· Registered
297 Posts
Many of my hunting partners who used to use xbows, have graduated to compounds or recurves. I don't think you should worry until you start seeing:
"combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped hit-seekin crossbows":smile:

· Registered
1,471 Posts
As I see it, this is a big win for the crossbow industry and this has been their goal. That in itself should help the hunting and archery industry as a whole and will hopefully decrease the effect of PETA and other non-hunting groups. While I personally agree that the cross bow is best left to those who can not hunt with standard archery equipment, I do truly believe that this issue (legalized crossbow use during archery season) is going to spread to other states and this will strengthen our collective hunting voices. I'm not a big fan of more hunters in the woods anymore than the next guy, but I'll take that over more PETA demonstrators / activists anyday!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.