Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why so many states opened crossbows up to all hunters during archery season? In texas archery season is early and hot but its has still been nice to be in the woods a month before most people even think about filling their feeders. Guess im just being selfish but you cant help but notice how many people you see walking out of academy with a new cross bow.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Does anyone know why so many states opened crossbows up to all hunters during archery season? In texas archery season is early and hot but its has still been nice to be in the woods a month before most people even think about filling their feeders. Guess im just being selfish but you cant help but notice how many people you see walking out of academy with a new cross bow.
Curious how many you see in the woods during season though??? I'd guess a lot of people think they'll go buy a crossbow, sight it in, and be hunting later that day. After they wear themselves out lugging it to the field to practice and realize how steady they have to remain to be accurate that they then decide not to hunt with it??? I've shot one, and I was much more accurate out to 40 yds with my compound than I was with that crossbow with a scope. That was with something to brace on....shooting it freehanded was horrible!

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts

·
mmmmm.......beer!
1,555 Posts
Yes, you are being selfish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoulda just asked the question why did states change the policy on crossbows.
Sorry I dont mean to start a fight.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
You'd have to ask each individual state....as I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons. I do believe reason #1 though(from the states perspective)....more INCOME!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
They have held it off in Indiana this fall so far but it is coming.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Can't speak for all of the states, but in Alabama and Tennessee...The legislatures were lobbied heavily with auto insurance company money. Fewer deer, fewer car/deer collisions, fewer claims.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I hear they are lethal tipped with the new rage titanium

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
What it amounts to is too have more people buying license theerefore more MONEY for the state. Me personally it doesn't make me any difference whether they are there or not. I have a retired friend that shoots a crossbow otherwise he'd be at home on the couch.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
There is a reason there is a crossbow section son

·
Registered
140 Posts
im sorry but all crossbows have done for me have screwed up my hunting. not just for me but all my friends aswell. they made it to easy for people to hunt its the truth. i spend alot of time at my local bowshop and you would not believe the amount of idiots in there buying crossbows. the other day i was picking up my z7 extreme and there was a guy in there that looked like he woke up and said im gona go hunt with a crossbow this season. im my own opinion i think crossbows should only be for injured, juniors, and elderly

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
im sorry but all crossbows have done for me have screwed up my hunting. not just for me but all my friends aswell. they made it to easy for people to hunt its the truth. i spend alot of time at my local bowshop and you would not believe the amount of idiots in there buying crossbows. the other day i was picking up my z7 extreme and there was a guy in there that looked like he woke up and said im gona go hunt with a crossbow this season. im my own opinion i think crossbows should only be for injured, juniors, and elderly
I disagree about juniors

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Crossbows are legal here in bow season and it don't bother me one bit. It's nothing to cry about it is not going to stop me from hunting and I don't find it screwing up my hunts.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I dont see it impacting the archery population too much for too long. It depends on who you think is going to hunt archery due to crossbows.

Will the man/dog driving shotgun hunters all of a sudden start still hunting? Most that Ive ever talked to just seem to find still-hunting boring and I get the feeling they wouldnt even do it if they could sit with a gun during archery season.

The new folks that do stick to still-hunting with a crossbow would have probably gotten a bow if crossbows werent available, they just went with the xbow cause they thought they could shoot farther, stealthier, more accurately or some other percieved advantage. Or they are folks that couldnt pull a bow or really sucked at shooting a bow.

Still hunters will still hunt.....I doubt many shotgunin line-the-road types will last.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Kinda like handicap parking permit, great for those who need it. Just my .02 that being said they are legal in Pa and I can't stop them. but I can voice my opinion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.