Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
To each his own.I think this will open the door for people that would not be able to enjoy the world of 3-d.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the crossbow in the archery community needs to be welcomed! It WILL help keep our archery sport alive by member investing in the clubs! The clubs will need to upgrade equipment which will result in a better shoot for you also!

Yeh they make alot of noise when they shoot but i have had 1 or 2 in my indoor club all winter and i got used to the bang :)

Funny to see xbow shooters target panic! if everyone just puts very strict rules in place then everyone will be safe!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hadn't heard that. Gonna have to check out the ASA site. Are they expecting the ASA affiliated clubs to follow?

·
Registered
788 Posts
It is not yet on the ASA website. I have been told by the ASA that this is going to be a "test run or trial" to see what kind of response they get.
This can be nothing but good for all archers. The more competitors and or hunters we have in any class or season is nothing but good. Our sport is under atack from outsiders on a daily basis, so the more people we have the stronger our voice.
Lets stick together guys and girls and support any and all forms of our great sport.

·
"country"
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a few things to think about
1. most 3D shooters spend around 10 bucks on arrows
2. crossbow shooters spend 3 or 4 bucks and buy there stuff at wal mart, do you want your acc,fatboys,goldtips trashed by crossbows?
3.ever been around a crossbow hunter walking a logging road they walk with it cocked and loaded, will they walk at a 3D shoot with it cocked?
4.do you think it is fair for crossbow shooters to be able to shoot 300 fps and you can only shoot 280?
5.I have nothing against crossbows for what they are designed for but have had a couple of deals that were very unsafe!
6. what about practice targets at asa do you want to shoot beside them?
7. what about practice bags at asa do you want to shoot beside them-not me!
8. if it was for veterans or someone who is disabled or a soilder who fought for our country and was combat wounded but not for the average joe!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And you think the clubs complain alot about large diameter arrows and target damage now, wait until those same targets get pounded with crossbow bolts, that'll really get the riled up.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That's great to hear. I hope it works out. I only shoot a crossbow because it's alot more fun to shoot for me. 3D archery with a crossbow for me. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I own a xbow, and have a number of compound bows and stickbows. While I usually shoot 3Ds with my regular archery equipment, I also have used my xbow.

I think it is fun, and feel others will enjoy as well.

Cold Weather

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It's a good thing. 8 years ago my buddy and I went to our first shoot with our crossbows. By the next shoot we had bows. Since then we have bought at least 20 bows between us, shoot the nationals and world championship, and have got 6 new people shooting bows. If I was not allowed to shot with my xbow I would have never discovered archery with a compound bow.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I have shot with guys that shoot a xbow I see no way their unsafe they cock it at the target. they are no more accurate then a compound as for target damage don't see that either. see more junk targets that all bows shoot through . they try to blame the x bow guys but in reality their not putting the money back into targets .
as for walmart arrows I haven't seen that either from the shooters that shoot regularly at shoots.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There is a post from Mike on the ASA forums. They are very specific about what they are going to allow and the rules that they must follow. If my wife will ever get cleared to start shooting again, we will be at London. Guess we'll see how it goes then. I wonder if they are actually gonna make them shoot through the chornos...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
2. crossbow shooters spend 3 or 4 bucks and buy there stuff at wal mart, do you want your acc,fatboys,goldtips trashed by crossbows?
3.ever been around a crossbow hunter walking a logging road they walk with it cocked and loaded, will they walk at a 3D shoot with it cocked?
4.do you think it is fair for crossbow shooters to be able to shoot 300 fps and you can only shoot 280?
5.I have nothing against crossbows for what they are designed for but have had a couple of deals that were very unsafe!
8. if it was for veterans or someone who is disabled or a soilder who fought for our country and was combat wounded but not for the average joe!

:thumbs_up

·
Lowered expectations
15,549 Posts
You will probably not be in the same group with crossbow shooters.
Crossbow shooters all shoot 22-series arrows. Less "trashing" of other shafts than with a 27-series.
And the kind of crossbow shooters who shop at Walmart are like the kind of compound bow shooters who shop at Walmart - neither of them are likely to go to ASA championship events.
Ever been around a gun hunter walking a logging road with the gun loaded? Do they wander around gun ranges like that? No. Crossbow shooters won't either, unless they break a safety rule.
Sure, why not if they're in their own division? Do you think it's fair for you to shoot your compound at 280 when a Trad shooter's managing 180?
Crossbows have a safety on them. Crossbow archers don't "sky pull".
Compounds with releases do not have a safety. Compound arrow nocks can break on the shot sending an arrow who knows where. D-loops can let go on the draw.
A crossbow archer and his equipment, who is following the safety rules, is at least as safe if not more so than a compound shooter who is following the safety rules.
Sure, why not?
Sure, why not?
Why not?
If you don't like crossbows for whatever reason, then OK, don't like them. But don't spread misinformation.

Crossbows are safe and do not damage targets any more than compound bows. It's just a different way of shooting an arrow.

·
"country"
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not spread misinformation! Ever saw a bowhunter shoot at a deer out of the cab of a truck, crossbow shooters love to do this because there is no bang! however poaching is like cheating it happens. A freind of mine was almost shot by a guy shooting his x bow out of a truck window. some of you guys and gals may see x bows at 3D shoots but not in my area as our insurance will not permit it

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
ASA is a extremely well organized organization, I'm sure Mike has put plenty of planning in place to accommodate cross bows at the Pro Ams. I have no problem with those that choose to shoot them, this gives individuals "young & old" an opportunity to participate, and grow the sport of archery, bring em in...

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Ok, I have a question: What does illegally hunting with crossbows have to do with shooting 3D? Answer: Abolutely nothing! I've seen some real morons shooting compound bows. Does that mean they need to be outlawed from 3d shoots as well? If you don't want a crossbow shooter from hitting your arrows then don't shoot in a group with them.

As for the comment about 289 fps vs 300 fps, what about those of us that shoot 270 fps vs 320+ at an IBO shoot? These negative comments sound like they're from a couple of anti-crossbow AT'ers that have been banned or received lengthy time-outs. Nothing like stirring up alot of crap for no reason.

There is nothing wrong with crossbows. I shot next to one during the winter in our JOAD club. The young man shooting it set a new record at Louisville this year.

Bottom line is if you don't like shooting with crossbow shooters then DON"T SHOOT!

BTW, I do not have a crossbow, yet...:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
what does illegaly hunting with x-bows have to do with 3d? ALOT. I don't want someone like that shooting a x-bow on a course where me and my family are shooting. Are all x-bow shooters like that? No, but everyone of them i know is. Maybe it's just the part of the country i'm from. As far as morons with bows being banned also. YES, ban them also. Most people that shoot a x-bow do it because they are to lazy to put in the effort to learn to shoot a bow. I said most, not all.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I know 3Dblackncamo. He is not a crap stirrer. Me and my family have attended many of the same shoots with him. If anything he IS looking at the safety issue. Where we shoot there is alot of kids that shoot. And trust me there is alot of redneck idiots in our area. As for me, I would be afraid those idiots would think it was ok for them to show up at our clubs to shoot. Would you want some moron shooting around your little ones? Sure, compound bows can be and are just as dangerous in the wrong hands. But if you could stop a dangerous situation from happening, why wouldnt you?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts