Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start off by saying I completely disagree with this guy he makes comments in the video that reflect poorly Example “now we are allowing kids to kill their first deer tag during our archery season” really I get the merits of being against crossbows but be careful what you wish for.

·
Born yank raised south
16,771 Posts
While he makes some great points his attitude is the same as traditional archers had when compound bows started gaining prominence. I had a lock-on treestand break on me this November while bow hunting which caused 20 fractures in the head of my left humerus. I cannot currently lift my left, bow hand, up more than 10" in front of my body or climb a stand of any type. Last week In order to continue hunting a friend loaned me a Ravin crossbow to use and I'm hunting from the ground and using a shooting tripod since I can't hold a crossbow or gun for that matter up.

Recruitment of hunters nation wide has been on the down slide for years and if this allows others to continue in the activity or start the activity then we need to accept it and stop the bleeding that has been hunting on a slow decline.

Why do you constantly post threads like these that do nothing but serve to divide hunters?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
While he makes some great points his attitude is the same as traditional archers had when compound bows starting gaining prominence. I had a lock-on treestand break on my this November while bow hunting which caused 20 fractures in the head of my left humerus. I cannot currently lift my left, bow hand, up more than 10" in front of my body or climb a stand of any type. Last week In order to continue hunting a friend loaned me a Ravin crossbow to use and I'm hunting from the ground and using a shooting tripod since I can't hold a crossbow or gun for that matter up.

Recruitment of hunters nation wide has been on the down slide for years and if this allows others to continue in the activity or start the activity then we need to accept it and stop the bleeding that has been hunting on a slow decline.

Why do you constantly post threads like these that do nothing but serve to divide hunters?

Hope you heal up Sno

·
Born yank raised south
16,771 Posts
Hope you heal up Sno
Thanks brother. Just glad I had a harness on and the drop was a couple of feet and not 20 feet. Also thankful my state allows crossbows in all seasons for everyone on private grounds.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I am kind of tired of the notion that shooting a bow is hard. It really isn't. I know some stone cold killers that shoot once a year and then hunt. The bows are pretty easy to shoot for the most part.

I shoot a lot because I enjoy the hell out of shooting a bow. To kill a deer sub 30 shooting the bow is probably the easiest part.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am kind of tired of the notion that shooting a bow is hard. It really isn't. I know some stone cold killers that shoot once a year and then hunt. The bows are pretty easy to shoot for the most part.

I shoot a lot because I enjoy the hell out of shooting a bow. To kill a deer sub 30 shooting the bow is probably the easiest part.
I could not agree more iv never understood those that believe shooting a bow at distances 99% of whitetails are killed as hard.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Not saying shooting a bow is hard, but shooting a cross bow is easier. I have a buddy that shoots a cross bow, and I shoot ( I don’t hunt with it though) his a lot, and it’s far easier to 12 ring a 3-d target, or hit eggs, or chew can lids with a cross bow with a scope consistently, especially when the distance gets out there a bit.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I consider myself a decent shot, and I would say he’s not even close to decent with the cross bow, but still has no problem putting that bolt in what he’s shooting at, and I have lost a good bit of money on bets with him. I don’t care as he’s a great guy and lord knows he could use it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Opinion is like A-hole, everyone has one, and no one else need to see yours.

With that said, he has the right to express his opinion. And after watching the video, I can see where he is coming from and agree with the point he is making. He is not bashing crossbows, in fact he promote them for kids and older folks. tell me that he is NOT a crossbow hater.

What he is against is people that is not otherwise disadvantaged using tools that was meant for disadvantaged folks.

Now, I personally don't care what tool you use as a hunter, as long as you use it legally and take ethical shots. But he does have a valid concerns about wide spread of crossbows and we should have a civil and educated debate about wither Crossbow should have its own season.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not saying shooting a bow is hard, but shooting a cross bow is easier. I have a buddy that shoots a cross bow, and I shoot ( I don’t hunt with it though) his a lot, and it’s far easier to 12 ring a 3-d target, or hit eggs, or chew can lids with a cross bow with a scope consistently, especially when the distance gets out there a bit.
Just curious, are you shooting the Xbow from a rest or standing and supporting it with just your arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Thanks brother. Just glad I had a harness on and the drop was a couple of feet and not 20 feet. Also thankful my state allows crossbows in all seasons for everyone on private grounds.

Sorry about the fall but glad you were strapped in and you are still able to get out there. How did it fracture your humerus, and What kind of harness were you wearing? Was it just the force of the fall?

·
Born yank raised south
16,771 Posts
Sorry about the fall but glad you were strapped in and you are still able to get out there. How did it fracture your humerus, and What kind of harness were you wearing? Was it just the force of the fall?
HSS vest type and the force of the fall caused my left arm to be forced upward rapidly. The two cables on the lock on that hold the bottom foot platform up gave way as I transitioned from sitting to standing in the last hour of the evening hunt. It was like a trapdoor opening. Thinking I must have fallen tilted slightly to one side and my left shoulder/arm took the majority of my body weight.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts

That’s my son. He will shoot a couple times right before season and go fill the freezer.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Opinion is like A-hole, everyone has one, and no one else need to see yours.

With that said, he has the right to express his opinion. And after watching the video, I can see where he is coming from and agree with the point he is making. He is not bashing crossbows, in fact he promote them for kids and older folks. tell me that he is NOT a crossbow hater.

What he is against is people that is not otherwise disadvantaged using tools that was meant for disadvantaged folks.

Now, I personally don't care what tool you use as a hunter, as long as you use it legally and take ethical shots. But he does have a valid concerns about wide spread of crossbows and we should have a civil and educated debate about wither Crossbow should have its own season.

A civil and educated debate about crossbows? Fat chance. That’s why the OP started this thread. He knew what was going to happen. That’s the main reason he starts most of the threads he does.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious, are you shooting the Xbow from a rest or standing and supporting it with just your arms?

That was my thought I’m not advocating a crossbow as harder but without a rest aka many tree stand settings I am more accurate with my compounds than I am my crossbows

1 - 20 of 297 Posts