Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I didn't realize how much I had drifted away from the one thing I loved most......archery. I've loved archery since I was, 8,9 maybe 10 years old. I don't know? I'll be 49 this year so it's been a long time to me. I can't remember when I stopped shooting 4-5 days a week minimum. Job, family..... life in general I don't know what caused me to forget the one thing I really loved to do. I never stopped completely but the desire had come to an all time low for me.
Then one day I thought I would get a crossbow, don't even know what brought that on especially having a slightly negative outlook towards crossbows for years. You see I don't have to shoot a crossbow, nothing forced me to use one. I just decided to get one. I'm happy to tell you that my desire has returned to me again. You don't know how much that means to me. I would have probably wanted to fight you if you had mentioned a crossbow to me years earlier. Lol
Who would have thought?

That's what's important, feeling the way I do again about archery.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Well put Vinson, pretty much same for me , only picking the crossbow was due to shoulder / arm pain,
you've got the man I love this stuff feeling !... I get it too !

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
What is it that you love so much about casting arrows?

A few years ago I didn't realize how much I had drifted away from the one thing I loved most......archery. I've loved archery since I was, 8,9 maybe 10 years old. I don't know? I'll be 49 this year so it's been a long time to me. I can't remember when I stopped shooting 4-5 days a week minimum. Job, family..... life in general I don't know what caused me to forget the one thing I really loved to do. I never stopped completely but the desire had come to an all time low for me.
Then one day I thought I would get a crossbow, don't even know what brought that on especially having a slightly negative outlook towards crossbows for years. You see I don't have to shoot a crossbow, nothing forced me to use one. I just decided to get one. I'm happy to tell you that my desire has returned to me again. You don't know how much that means to me. I would have probably wanted to fight you if you had mentioned a crossbow to me years earlier. Lol
Who would have thought?

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Good post....I used to feel the same way so I know exactly what you are saying. Its a lot of fun :thumbs_up

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dnk
That's a cool question and one that I've never even thought about really.
The only answer I can give is: now that I'm exploring my thoughts.
I've never had any control over the fact that I love it. It's kinda like meeting the girl your going to marry. Lol

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
except women are even more expensive than this hobby haha but I guess a bow can't keep you warm at night :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol
Your right pin but happiness in life can have many different forms. Dwelling on potential forms takes away from the happiness you already have.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
you're right! sometimes I think about Kate Uptons form and then I'm no longer happy with just a bow lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK pin
I just looked up a picture of Kate Uptons form online. Forget everything I said even archery. I'm with you. Lol

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
haha! she's smoking.....I think I'll head to bed....where I'll probably be dreaming of form haha

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Who would have thought?

I wonder ... if the fact that crossbows were illegal throughout the nation formed our "somewhat" negative feeling about crossbows? That ... and if you think about it ... in every old movie, the bad guys shot crossbows and the good guys shoot long bows. The good guy NEVER has a crossbow in his hands ... LOL A dozen Robin Hood movies and nary a one about William Tell. Sort of like the bad guys wore black hats, good white hats. Subliminal sort of thing. Decades of that stuff sinks in and takes hold. You don’t really question it.

Years back I was involved in a management hunt with a small group of archers and one archer somehow had qualified for crossbow use. When we met up to outline the procedures, plan & protocols ... I had an undefined nebulous negative sense for the guy. Nothing earth shattering like he was a dog beater or something, just a feeling like he was an unqualified "Affirmative Action" included. Later in the day we setup for a drive and the fellow was alongside of me so we hiked to our location together before he dropped off and I continued on. By then the sense had changed to "he's here to kill deer and do a job same as me." The point being ... we come to the table with preconceived notions and we don’t really know where they came from because they were pieced together across a lifetime. A lifetime of bits and pieces of data that confirm those notions ... even if that “data” is fundamentally incorrect or biased.

Yet ... the nanosecond they made crossbow legal in this state, I was on the Internet researching them. Evil doctrine be darned! Ten nanoseconds after that I was on the phone learning from this guy David from Wyvern Creations. Having him steer me away from the 405fps Stryker and into the 390fps Strykeforce that I still kill deer with today. :shade:

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I'm happy for you Vin. I can remember working 6 10's on top of a hour drive. But i still shot 5 or 6 shots off the porch before supper. My only hope for hunting was getting rained out.
I differ though i would have never picked up a crossbow. And if it were possible i wouldn't use one now. But that's me. I will admit they are fun shooting and hunting with a crossbow is way better than setting on the porch.
The truth is i'm a pretty happy puppy because of the crossbows.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
At nearly 73 yrs of life I was unable to pull a vert for some 25 yrs, as both shoulders were rode hard put away wet too many times. Missed 'splinter slingin' terribly.
Crossbows have brought back that special feeling again. Now, I take the opportunity to sit 'n watch em go by nearly every day. And, when the time and animal is right, do the deed. Livin' life to the fullest again.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
At nearly 73 yrs of life I was unable to pull a vert for some 25 yrs, as both shoulders were rode hard put away wet too many times. Missed 'splinter slingin' terribly.
Crossbows have brought back that special feeling again. Now, I take the opportunity to sit 'n watch em go by nearly every day. And, when the time and animal is right, do the deed. Livin' life to the fullest again.
Im going on 74 yrs old and will never look back these crossbows keep you doing what you love
and with people like David at Wyverns just make's it sweeter!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
I was a dyed in the wool archery nut since 1963. Could not get enough of that wonderful stuff:) and quite honestly if my shoulders were still good I'd still be bowhunting and shooting traditional long bows, recurves and a bit with compounds for variety. I worked hard to like crossbows when I was finally convinced by my doctor the vertical bow thing was over. It was not easy but once I set my mind on it and really meant it I found myself enjoying my new way of flinging arrows and bowhunting. Overcoming not being able to throw my crossbow out of the treestand into a bush before coming down, as I did with recurves, putting up with the tremendous increase in weight and shooting noise were tough obstacles to overcome but I did it:) I can truthfully say I'm enjoying crossbows and crossbow hunting now as much as I did with the other stuff:) Still making strings, fletching shorter arrows, still playing with broadheads, vanes and nocks.....thank God for crossbows.:thumbs_up I still believe it has something to do with simply watching an arrow fly.....it's that arc up a bit and coming back down into the dot:).......a good reason to keep speed down:wink: Only kidding, speed guys:)

170, agreed:)

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
man....I hope I'm still around doing this when I'm in my 70's like you guys. That will put y'all in the low 100's by then :)

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Nobody gets out of this alive:) I'm just glad I grew up in a simpler more sane (IMO) time.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your comments friends.

I appreciate all the wonderful experiences I've lived through with you all on this site. I most enjoy your passion for archery.

I use to hang out at pro shops and 3D shoots and archery clinics like the Andersons archery clinic in south eastern Michigan. Anywhere archery was.....I was.
Now I have a lot of that right here.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts