Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crude? Meant Crud. So nothing is working out for me this year. Scheduling elk hunting is hard because the first 20 days of every month have me working 75-90 hour weeks, then a 10 day break. But hitting a newly opened reserve in CO Unit 82 isn't gonna work out because the season is Aug 25 thru Sep 23. It takes me a couple days just to drive to CO. Then two days home. If I left for the opener I would only be able to hunt the 25th-31st before hitting the road for home. Sep would leave me 1 day to hunt. (((sigh))) Suddenly another AG voucher in the farmlands this month doesn't seem so bad. Should I wait till August or go for it in July? The advantage to July is that it is any weapon...which is also the disadvantage (some of you will understand). Hmmmmmm...

Unit 82's refuge is pretty flat too...lotta belly crawling and ditch running. Is there some other alternative somewhere with dates that fit my schedule I should consider?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Go August OTC. Scour Google Earth and try to find areas that would have wallows. If you could find water in late August you'll definitely find elk.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
My wife either loves or hates me...said to go both months. LOL
I assume the depredation tags are "C" tags, so I'd go shoot another bull in July, and then pick up an OTC archery tag for August. And since it's closer for you, I'd just hunt the SW part of the state OTC.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
Crude? Meant Crud. So nothing is working out for me this year. Scheduling elk hunting is hard because the first 20 days of every month have me working 75-90 hour weeks, then a 10 day break. But hitting a newly opened reserve in CO Unit 82 isn't gonna work out because the season is Aug 25 thru Sep 23. It takes me a couple days just to drive to CO. Then two days home. If I left for the opener I would only be able to hunt the 25th-31st before hitting the road for home. Sep would leave me 1 day to hunt. (((sigh))) Suddenly another AG voucher in the farmlands this month doesn't seem so bad. Should I wait till August or go for it in July? The advantage to July is that it is any weapon...which is also the disadvantage (some of you will understand). Hmmmmmm...

Unit 82's refuge is pretty flat too...lotta belly crawling and ditch running. Is there some other alternative somewhere with dates that fit my schedule I should consider?
Well, there is literally 90% of the state the entire month of September... So there's that...

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there is literally 90% of the state the entire month of September... So there's that...
So Sep 23rd isn't the close elsewhere in the state? Just Unit 82? That's helpful.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
A bunch of elk are killed the first week. You have all the best gear, you just need to put on big boy pants and come hunt them.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would hunt the SW corner of the state like 5MB suggested. It’s closer then 82 and arguable better hunting anyways. Drive out as soon as you can in August (21st-23rd?) so you can get a few days of scouting in before season. Hunt till you gotta go home. 2 days of real scouting and 6 days of real hunting in the San Juan’s and your not gonna have any gas left in the tank to want to stay longer. If your nice I might even PM you some spots.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
Why is there always an angle with you Bruce? An issue? I agree with COArrow: You have all the best gear,(according to you) man up and "Just HUNT" for once...

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why is there always an angle with you Bruce? An issue? I agree with COArrow: You have all the best gear,(according to you) man up and "Just HUNT" for once...
You wouldn't understand. Scheduling is far more difficult when you're responsible for the livelihood of dozens of employees. Escapes must be carefully timed. Plus there's always the risk something is gonna happen and suddenly your free time in Aug or Sep is gone. Look at my last trip...2 days driving, there for 36 hours and I'm en route home cuz my kid is in ICU. I tend to avoid putting things off and go when I can...sometimes it works out (like that Alberta trip last Fall) and sometimes it falls apart (like my 2015 CO elk hunt). It's not like the situation you guys in CO enjoy where you are already in CO and have all the home court advantages. NR hunters have more "issues" and expenses than you do.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
You wouldn't understand. Scheduling is far more difficult when you're responsible for the livelihood of dozens of employees. Escapes must be carefully timed. Plus there's always the risk something is gonna happen and suddenly your free time in Aug or Sep is gone. Look at my last trip...2 days driving, there for 36 hours and I'm en route home cuz my kid is in ICU. I tend to avoid putting things off and go when I can...sometimes it works out (like that Alberta trip last Fall) and sometimes it falls apart (like my 2015 CO elk hunt). It's not like the situation you guys in CO enjoy where you are already in CO and have all the home court advantages. NR hunters have more "issues" and expenses than you do.
You have to put your mind to it and pay your diy public land dues .
I left PA (driving) Tues evening and I'm in CO already. I'll be scouting and working out some Elk logistics for a few days and them heading north to scout for a future moose hunt in a couple years.
Just go and pay your dues my friend.
Go due your hunt this year and apply what you learned the next year. Rinse and repeat.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have to put your mind to it and pay your diy public land dues .
I left PA (driving) Tues evening and I'm in CO already. I'll be scouting and working out some Elk logistics for a few days and them heading north to scout for a future moose hunt in a couple years.
Just go and pay your dues my friend.
Go due your hunt this year and apply what you learned the next year. Rinse and repeat.
Pay my dues? Guess you've never read my elk hunting reports. LOL

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
What ever you say...:set1_STOOGE2:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The units I hunt average out at 36 days of hunting to kill an elk. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to consistently kill elk. If your looking for easy success then stick with farmground and guided hunts.

Elk hunting is lots of blood, sweat and tears. I know you think you know that, but I honestly don’t think you have a clue.

Solo killing and then packing a bull out is a very hard thing mentally and physically. But when your butt hits the tailgate with the last load you will never feel more alive.

There is a feeling of accomplishment that comes with it that can’t be explained without experiencing it. Don’t cheat yourself out of it.

Lots of guys here may live in elk hunting states but still travel to hunt. I personally do. I understand that it’s more difficult but It adds to the sense of accomplishment.

Sorry to be so brutally honest and I hope you don’t take it the wrong way.
I have always enjoyed your post and don’t want you to get your feathers ruffled and leave again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts