Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday was opening day in CT, but i couldn't get out. I was however able to get out tuesday morning. I don't really hunt hard until mid october, but I figured I had to at least get out opening week. I have not set foot on this property since last Jan and I only hunt afternoons here, because most of the property is a field and you just educate the feeding deer in the AM. I only had the AM to hunt so I decided to take a gamble and sit the edge of the field in a funnel that leads to a swamp/oak edge. At daybreak I saw a few does in the field headed my way. around 7:30 a doe and a yearling made there way in to 30yds. I shot the doe and watched her fall 60yds away. I was just calming my nerves and celebrating when I looked over and saw a shooter broadside 45yds away in my shooting lane. He was inside the woods edge and on a trail that was gonna lead him away. I drew and shot, the hit was back but he took off and I heard a crash 30 seconds later. I waited 30 minutes, climbed down and brought my stuff up to the truck and grabbed my buddy. we walked to my arrow and it was covered in blood. The bloodtrail was heavy and we found the deer about 100yds from the shot in the thick swamp. We were standing over the deer 45 minutes after the shot......but the 'yotes had already tore him up good, in the daylight no less and only 130yds from my stand. i was so pissed off. we dragged out the remains and my doe. It was a shame, but the dogs had torn into most every part of the deer and I didn't feel comfortable salvaging any of the meat from him.

He grosses 123" and will make a great euro mound and she'll be might tasty! Looks like I'm gonna have to try and work on dropping some song dogs.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Congrats on a double! That doe looks like some good steaks! Honestly, I'd get some breakfast sausage out of that buck! Take the ol' .223 out and kill those darn dogs! Again, congrats on an awesome day!

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Nice job Skip, why am I not surpised to see a pic of you and another nice buck. Hard work = success. :darkbeer:

Too bad about the yotes. They are getting awfully bold in urban and suburban settings. I'm sure that they are the cause for a lot of missing pets in that area also.

· Banned
3,149 Posts
Nice buck...I was in Greenwich this past weekend checking out my spot and saw a nice 8 in full velvet...and yours doesn't have a stitch of it on him! great job!!

· Registered
357 Posts
Well done, nice harvest and a heck of a way to kick off the season.
Man in another hour the only thing left would have been the bones.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Congrats on the double:darkbeer:

· Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice job Skip, why am I not surpised to see a pic of you and another nice buck. Hard work = success. :darkbeer:

Too bad about the yotes. They are getting awfully bold in urban and suburban settings. I'm sure that they are the cause for a lot of missing pets in that area also.
I just lucked into this one. I knew in years past that bucks liked this area and the wind was right. I always say that if you have a hunch. you should probably go with it.

Thank you everyone else. It was a great morning, but now I think it's time to zip some 'yotes open with a spitfire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.