Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year bow hunting. I am originally from Michigan where there was more open land to shoot than anyone knew what to do with. I now live in Connecticut where there is little hunting land. Being new to bow hunting, I want to be sure my skills and accuracy are on point. I am curious if there are any public places (state land or other) where I can place my stand and do a little target practice legally. I get a good amount of ground level practice in my backyard at about 25 yards, but I need to get some experience from an elevated surface. If there are any Connecticut hunters who know how or where this can be done, please fill me in. I am looking forward to my first season in the woods with a bow in my hand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would NOT do this on state land in CT. I haven't been there yet but Andover Archery is supposed to have some decent 3D targets including platform and tree Stan configurations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it public or do you have to be a member? Many of the places I have found are member type organizations. Also, I am looking to use my stand. I need to get used to elevated shooting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's Cos Cob archers in Greenwich. They are a private club but they have a treestand shot in the 3D circuit which is open to the public. They are on bible street off orchard. Nice club

Where in Ct are you?

·
Registered
626 Posts
how far are you from NY/NJ?
our club range is also public if you get a parking permit from the parks department (think its $15 for the year)
has a practice range and 28 targets in the woods, I see guys take their stands in all the time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in central CT in Berlin. how would I go about going to the club in Greenwich? Do I need to make a reservation or can I just show up and head on in to shoot?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in central CT in Berlin. how would I go about going to the club in Greenwich? Do I need to make a reservation or can I just show up and head on in to shoot?
Guess you should start by looking them up online then give them a call. If you look on 3dshoots.com they might be hosting a shoot this month in which case all you need to do is come by and have some fun

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Give Mark at Andover Archery a call I think he has stands set up you could shoot from and he is a lot closer to Berlin and a lot less traffic getting there.)860)742-4279

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go to Ct Archery Association website were there is a list of 3D shoots in every club in western half of the state and there is another group that list shoots for the eastern half of the state.You may find a club you might want to join.
As far as hunting goes you can hunt state forest and there are other areas to hunting open just go to ct.gov state website.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Andover Archery is open to the public. Mark is a great guy. Only charges like $5 or so. I was able to squeeze in 60yds at his outdoor range. Also has a 3d course you can walk through.

As far as hunting, there is some good state land in Burlington. The Nassahegan State forest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help. I am going to do some research and find a club close to me. If I am able, I would love to join one. I am looking forward to my first bow season here in CT. thanks again guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
A little closer for you is bristol fish and game, I'm a member 3d course all year and plenty of practice butt out to 60 yards plus indoor 20 yard for the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the process and availability to become a member of the club? I have heard many of the clubs are difficult to get into.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like Andover Archery. Flat range is $6 per hour, 3D is $10 to go thru the course I think? Flat range you have out to 50 yds marked and can go out a bit further, near 70 if you stand near the shop. They also have a tree stand to shoot from and broadhead targets. The 3D course is very fun and challenging and set up with 3 targets per stop, so it goes pretty quickly. Lots of steep angle shots shooting from the top of a ridge line as well.

Each club differs. Most have an application, some have application fee/deposit. Some you are in immediately, some there is a wait list. Some clubs are like $60 a year, others are $900+.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you want to join a great archery club that is inexpensive with indoor range and 3-D course set up year round there is no better in the state than Algonquin Archers only forty minute drive from your location, it is in the Watertown Woodbury line, we are having a shoot in a couple of weeks come on by and check it out, I think you will be pleased.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts