Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our season opened Wednesday but I couldn't get out until today. I'd been watching turkeys in the area I hunted this morning for a couple weeks so I knew they were in the area. The only problem is that I'd been seeing them in the afternoon and not in the morning.

Ended up being a fairly quick morning!!

At first light I'd been hitting the call and got no response so I was a little concerned that they wouldn't be around here in the a.m. Once daylight broke I started getting a response but they were a good distance away.

Around 6am 2 jakes came down through the field on the opposite side of a stone wall about 100yds away. I didn't see them until they cleared the wall. I hit the call and got there attention. I wasn't gonna shoot either one but I figured I'd have some fun.

In the mean time the gobbling I'd heard from a distance at first light was steadily getting closer. I watched the jakes come in and walk along another stone wall about 50yds behind me. I lost sight of them and then peaked out the back of the blind to see a Tom down in the corner of the field as well. He and the 2 jakes walked to the back corner and I lost sight of them.

I hit the call and heard some close gobbling. I peaked back out the back of the DB and saw a long beard standing 10yds away checking out my dekes. He stood there a bit, went into half strut, and then made a B-line for the B-Mobile and She Mobile.

He ended up walking by my blind about 5' away! I was afraid to draw! I let him get about 10yds and drilled. He went another 10yds and piled up. All this happened within 15mins of seeing the frist 2 jakes.

The great part is once the tom piled up the 2 jakes came hauling ass up from the corner of the field and beat the hell out of the dead Tom!!! It was hysterical! I've seen it on t.v. but never in person. They tore into him for a good 5 minutes standing on him and pecking at his head!!

It was a GREAT morning!!

The tom endedup being a 21lb bird with a 10 1/4" beard and 7/8" sours. For whatever reason the Easterns around here all have rounded spurs.

The Pose:shade:

The Bird

The setup

The Beat Down!!

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
Aweesome! Would have made great TV!

Congrats on the bird!

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
Do you guide at all!? LOL!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats!! I love the action photo's of the jakes!!!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sweet dude, those are awesome pics.

Congrats

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome hunt! I'll be hittin the woods for the first time tomorrow, hopefully with similiar results... How was your season last year, the birds were real quiet where i hunt. Are they talkin a little more this year?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome hunt! I'll be hittin the woods for the first time tomorrow, hopefully with similiar results... How was your season last year, the birds were real quiet where i hunt. Are they talkin a little more this year?
I only made it out twice last season due to a new job. Both times I heard little to no gobbling.
There was definately more action this morning.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guide at all!? LOL!
I was actually thinking about the filming aspect as I was watching the thrashing. That's just what I need though is more crap to lug in with me!!

As for guiding, if CT wasn't so expensive for non-res I'd say grab a tag. I could probably get you on a bird. No guarantee of course.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
I was actually thinking about the filming aspect as I was watching the thrashing. That's just what I need though is more crap to lug in with me!!

As for guiding, if CT wasn't so expensive for non-res I'd say grab a tag. I could probably get you on a bird. No guarantee of course.

Bro - I got tags!

And a video camera:)

Edit...I THINK I have atag...did I get one when I got a deer license last falll?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bro - I got tags!

And a video camera:)

Edit...I THINK I have atag...did I get one when I got a deer license last falll?
Nope,deer and turkey are seperate tags. Anything you got last fall, unless it specifically states 2010 season, will not be valid. Your '09 deer tags were only good in '09 and up to Jan 31st 2010 in 2 zones on private land.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
Bummer....!!!!!!!!

Not re-upping this year with the price hikes! I never did get out last year anyways in Ct!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scotty

That is awesome. Those pics are the bomb. Wish I could be out there. I took the family camping this weekend. I may get out next week congrats again.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Way to go Scotty.....congratulations! Awesome pics too! :shade:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts