Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,751 Posts
Curious as to why that's a cull buck? Looks like a nice young 9 to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is actually an old 7pt. that we have been trying to chase. The buck posted here is the trophy buck. If you go to the link you'll see the cull buck we're talking about. Sorry for making that confusing.
Curious as to why that's a cull buck? Looks like a nice young 9 to me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No such thing as a cull buck. Buck fawns born on your property will not be there as mature bucks the majority of the time.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
No such thing as a cull buck. Buck fawns born on your property will not be there as mature bucks the majority of the time.
yep and culling does not make any noticeable difference in free range deer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say what you like.. But I (Kyle) have been practicing a management program as follows. If a buck is 3 years old or older and has 8pts or less I call it a cull buck in which my definition of that is a buck with lesser genetics. I truly get the same thrill shooting these bucks as the trophy rack bucks. For trophy bucks, I call 9pts or more I TRY to let them reach 5 years old to their fullest potential. By doing this I allow the "trophy bucks" more time to breed and spread their genetics through the herd. Everyone has their own opinion, but this has truly worked wonders on our property. And I've done this on a 75 acre tract of private property (free-ranging deer).

yep and culling does not make any noticeable difference in free range deer.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Unless you own 2000 acres or more, you shouldn't ever be killing something just to try to influence genetics.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MATTER of opinion but I don't believe that!! You know you can't influence genetics if you don't try.
Unless you own 2000 acres or more, you shouldn't ever be killing something just to try to influence genetics.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Say what you like.. But I (Kyle) have been practicing a management program as follows. If a buck is 3 years old or older and has 8pts or less I call it a cull buck in which my definition of that is a buck with lesser genetics.
Everyone has their own opinion, but this has truly worked wonders on our property. And I've done this on a 75 acre tract of private property (free-ranging deer).
Please explain how culling 3 year old 8 pts on your 75 acres has "worked wonders"?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I would shoot that big seven before the little nine anyday. Bucks travel for miles during the rut, so culling bucks is a dumb idea unless you control a lot of land.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 prime example is shooting a 10 yr. cull buck that I had named Brent. For 1) he was the dominant buck and ran all other bucks off including the one I was really after "Wrapper". I shot Brent in October and then the buck "Wrapper" made it his core area and shot him less then a month later from THE SAME STAND. Now that is just 1 reason. Also, a buck shows me their basic frame at 3 years old and what I would have to look forward to in the future. If the buck sports only a 6pt. rack at 3yrs old I know I need to take him out. Genetics and long story short here are some photos of the bucks we have taken there in the last 4yrs. So yes "for me" it has "worked wonders".
Brent.jpg This is Brent 10yrs old
Wrapper.jpg This is Wrapper 5 yrs old
leonard.jpg This is Leonard 5 or 6 yrs old
jk buck.jpg This is JK Buck 7 or 8 yrs old

It has worked for me!

Please explain how culling 3 year old 8 pts on your 75 acres has "worked wonders"?

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Say what you like.. But I (Kyle) have been practicing a management program as follows. If a buck is 3 years old or older and has 8pts or less I call it a cull buck in which my definition of that is a buck with lesser genetics. I truly get the same thrill shooting these bucks as the trophy rack bucks. For trophy bucks, I call 9pts or more I TRY to let them reach 5 years old to their fullest potential. By doing this I allow the "trophy bucks" more time to breed and spread their genetics through the herd. Everyone has their own opinion, but this has truly worked wonders on our property. And I've done this on a 75 acre tract of private property (free-ranging deer).
if you think it works, by all means keep at it. i would be willing to bet that you letting the bucks age is what you are observing in a positive manner, not a genetic change.

·
Registered
890 Posts
He is actually an old 7pt. that we have been trying to chase. The buck posted here is the trophy buck. If you go to the link you'll see the cull buck we're talking about. Sorry for making that confusing.
Or you could stop wasting our time and post the pics and actually say something. These little teaser threads you use to get hits for your site are more like ads than anything. " we like giant bucks" now click my link..."

If you have something to say, say it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Unless you have a fence, you're delusional if you think you have any control of wild deer genetics. Especially on 75acres. By all means kill any Dee that makes you happy, you don't have to justify it.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,751 Posts
The only time it makes sense to take out a buck to me is when the buck is a bully buck and pushes out better scoring bucks. Trying to influence the genetics is a lost cause.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Nice bucks OP! I have a feeling that trying to push the agenda of managing a herds genetics on a 75 acre track is not going to go over very well here. And rightly so, IMO. Half of the genetics you are seeing come from the does. I'm in agreement with a couple of others that age is really the determining factor. I have seen very big jumps in bucks after the 3rd year.

You obviously have big deer on your dirt and can kill them, but most of the time (I said most) guys use the cull excuse when their trigger finger starts to itch. Using your definition, would you still consider a 5.5 year old 160" 8 pt a cull buck? Can't imagine too many that would. Not bashing you or telling you how or even what to do - your getting goods bucks on the ground, but I also think you might be taking out some really nice bucks too early. Best of luck to ya.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts