Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Daniel Boone's thread on culling deer, I started talking to some of my DNR friends about it also. They said that we can get permits to cull the deer herd for agriculture reasons, but we can not move the animal after it has being shot. I do not agree with poaching, but under these conditions it would almost be better to poach them and eat them, as to shoot them and let them lay. Just curious, on what your feelings are on not being able to touch the deer after shooting it when you get permits from DNR?

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Well if you have a tag to cull them and they told you that you are supposed to just leave them, I wouldn't feel right doing it. I doubt that they are going to come snooping around to see if you left them laying in the woods. I would take them, and atleast give them to people who wanted them if I didn't need the meat.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I couldnt shoot a deer without the intention of eating him. I think they should review the policy. I am thinking that their reasoning behind it so some venison hungry guys dont create a "problem" to where deer need to be shot. I dont like commenting on other states' affairs anyways. Just like I get mad when other tell Texas what their policies should be.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Tur-bow

I agree. But I have shot does before just to give to people that I knew wanted or needed the meat. Hunters for the Hungry and homeless shelters and some churches will take it also. If you go to Canada or some far off place. Chances are you aren't going to bring that meat home.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Let me rephrase that.........I wouldnt shoot a deer unless SOMEBODY was going to eat it.

I have taken deer for friends who would never kill an animal themselves but somehow have no qualms about eating them. Hunters for the hungry is a great program. I have donated to them a few times in the past.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The reason the DNR allowes the shootin but not the removal of crop damaging animals is to keep some one from planting a crop just to get a permit then turn around and sell hunts the deer or the meat.

They figure that a farmer will only kill a small number if he is the one that has to deal with there dead bodys in his field.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Iowa has finally seen the light, opening up alot more antlerless tags this year. I have been doing QDM on my 1200 acres for 8 years. Have alot of doe venison in the freezer that never had a tag on it. QDM works and works well, shoot those does, get that herd healthy and the big bucks are almost a guarantee if your area has the genes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
We had a court case locally years ago where a farmer shot a couple of deer that were eating his garden, then dressed them out and put them in the freezer. The DNR took him to court for poaching. He defended himself and they used the same argument - you can shoot them, but you have to leave them lay. He told the judge he would happily pay a fine if someone would just show him that specification in a law - in writing. The judge recessed the case, and no descision was ever made! I don't know if they added it to the law, but at that time it was just an unwritten policy that you could not use the deer for meat.
wabi

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah, that is one messed up policy!!! I cull deer sometimes, and in NY, it's up to the landowner what happens with the meat afterward... I ALWAYS make sure that the filled out tags get turned in afterwards... I'm ALL about helping farmers - as they've been very good to me - but I doubt I could shoot a deer and just leave it there to waste... To me that's just about sinful, to waste all that good meat like that, when there's TONS of people who would love to have it... I don't advocate breaking the law, but in this case I'd have a hard time obeying it - I've GOTTA help a farmer whenever I can - they're some of the hardest working people I've ever seen!!!

- georgestrings

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I started questioning my DNR friends about it. They said that they don't like it either but it was the law. Now I do not know if it is one of those "unwriten" laws or not. I know that up in NC it used to be the same way, but they now let us shoot the deer on my farm and give the meat to organizations. When we had to lat them lay, we would still shoot them, but you kind of feel bad about it. Then you had to call DNR and they would come out to tag the deer themselves, and you could not move the deer until they tagged it. Now that in it self could take a day or so for them to come out, and by then the meat is bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts