Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm back at work today after a week off. i post this question b/c i always get a serious case of buck fever. i know that if you don't get nervous than probably should be hunting but i need some help. first let me say that i work in a high pressure field and do well and i've grown up in a high pressure family and played high pressured sports throughout high school and college. also went through postgraduate studies that were very competitive and stressful. i say all this i guess to prove that i'm not a choker by nature but sometimes when it comes to big deer i simply choke i guess. missed a big 9pt thurs. morning at 24 yds. had moved my hha site to 20yd setting b/c he was going to walk right by stand however he sensed something was up and stopped and turned at 24 yds. went behind a tree, i drew back, he walked out, i aimed bottom 1/3 and let loose. actually calmed myself a little before releasing the arrow but just skinned his belly w/ a low shot. the part i failed i guess was when i aimed low w/ 20 setting at 24 yds. b/c of the nerves i didn't think "aim dead center b/c he's a little further that your setting" and that was my mistake. it was very rewarding hunt b/c i've been seeing this deer but always just out of range and finally got on him and had his butt pegged. however, i couldn't seal the deal as my father would say. i've killed 3 big deer (140-150) in the past but also over the last 4 yrs i've missed 4 150-160" deer. twice i hit limbs but twice i just missed at different ranges. also made a shot on a big 10pt earlier this year that was a little back at 43 yds but should have recovered deer but rain wiped out trail. again, if i had taken my time and made a good shot rain wouldn't have been a factor b/c he would have expired quickly.

sorry for the long message but hoping some of you guys have some tips/advice to help one get through the shot w/o making huge mistakes. i know sometimes you just miss but it is getting to where i feel like something is wrong w/ my shooting. i think in the past i rushed the shot and as soon as i had pin on deer i released but this time i actually took my time but still made a big mental error. it is frustrating b/c i shoot very well on the range and have been killing deer w/ bow since i was in 5th grade. have no problems w/ does but these damn big deer drive me crazy.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Everyone gets it- Its even worse for me the longer I have to watch the buck. My heart rate skyrockets and I shake like leaf. The more you practice shooting and at unknown ranges. The more it will become automatic to ya.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Some guy's say stop looking at his head gear when u have decided u want to take him.
That never worked for me.
I get mad at the deer. I tell myself im gonna kill u deer, im gonna stick this arrow right through ur ribs. Ur as good as mine deer.
I dont know why, but this helps me from getting nervous.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
You must not let your emotions control your actions. Think; I am superior to this buck, I have control over him. He has no control over me. It’s a mental thing which will improve over time.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Im not sure there is any hope for the affects of buck fever.The trick is not to focus on the horns.Ive found the bucks that i know are in the area or a known buck that ive been after makes it worse for me.If it happens quick its not as bad but, a deer hanging around for a while and on the verge of busting you is the most unnerving thing that happens.A grass hopper in a chicken pen whould be more relaxed.The only thing we can do is try to contain ourselves but that feeling is what keeps us in the game.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You'll have to learn to think of it as just another target. Concentrate on the vitals, not the rack. Once you've identified it as an animal you want to kill, you need to focus. Don't let yourself get anxious. steady your breathing and take the time to make one good shot. You have all the time in the world to get the shakes or whatever after you make the shot.
It's basically all about discipline. You can do it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i really do think though if your set is in a area or tree that you cant see out of,it helps allot,all my stands are set up so you can see past thirty yards,so really i dont know whats coming in,so only have one option and thats focus is on to shoot not stare at your game for a 100 yards ,,we all have it if it takes for ever for that buck to pursue its way to you......and if you are not excited no more its time to take up knitting

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
all good replies.

What I do is simple to say but took me a looooooooooooonnng time to master.

The buck of your dreams walks in to your shooting lane.

1st stop and think do ya want to kill this aminal.

2nd take your time and don't look at his head gear anymore! ( plenty of time for this after he is back from the Taxid!):wink:

3rd pick the spot you want to hit. I mean the very hair! look/think about nothing else then squeeze or loose the arrow.

I used to get worked up over any deer that presented a shot till I cam up with this system. I get pumped up over any critter that I take but this helped me through the Buck fever!

Koz

PS the day I don't get pumped over a critter in my sites. Is the day I quit bow hunting. Ya got to learn to enjoy the rush! But don't let it control you.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
heres one for ya. if you lose that feeling its time to hang it up, thats the best feeling in the world... but to try and control it i try to control my breathing hey sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt as for making the shots practice with someone that can put pressure on you. i had a friend of mine move the target to random distances and then tell me i had 5 seconds to decide the range draw and make the shot. seems the less i think about screwing up the shot the better shooter i am. in reality you have plenty of time to pick the shot but its easier to cope with a panic situation if you practice in a panic environment. Aim small miss small

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Something that has always helped me is to stop looking at the rack and just keep focus on you spot you want your arrow to hit... Once you decide you are gonna shoot him, focus on your aiming point.. There will be plenty of time to admire him after the deed is done...:wink:

Now the hardest situation to control is when you have to watch him for any length of time before the shot, the longer it takes, the worse it gets... I have tried everything in this situation and I still shake like a dog pooping razor blades...:p Just the tension I put on my body when drawing usally stops the shakes long enough for me to take the shot and sit my butt back down...
Buck fever is why we hunt, the adrenalin rush is something only other hunters can relate to... Good luck trying to control it.........

HHA tip..
I hunt with the same sight and always leave mine set on 25yds, I am then good from close range out to 30yds.. I would practice that from a treestand first, but it works well for me......:wink:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
the more game you shoot will take some of the fever away. I used to come un glued when a doe came in. now its just second nature for me to make a perfect shot.
my big bucks I was okay with till after the shot, then I started to shake . I just keep thinking I have to kill this deer.
I have missed a lot of giant deer. yardage is only one of our biggest challenges.
plus over the years I have climbed higher in the tree. this has helped me with taking more time to make the perfect shot. at short tree stand levels it was harder for me to get drawn and settled on the deer.making me think I had to rush the shot before I got busted.
I believe in practice from a elevated position and I shot a lot of deer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the good advice. some of course i've heard before but some i haven't. really i think my problem starts from not picking a small area to aim at but just generally aiming at the "vitals" and releasing to quickly. many times it works out but other times it doesn't. i guess i do this b/c i'm nervous the deer is going to move or bolt or something when in reality he's likely not going to and things aren't happening as fast as they seem. i guess i just worry too much that the deer i've been hunting so hard is going to get away.

another part of this particular miss was the fact i just got a new destroyer and was able to get the hha set-up the day before prior to an afternoon hunt but didn't know for sure where to leave the setting like i did on my switchback. after missing and spending some time on the range w/ the hha set at 30 i can shoot from 10 out to 35 yds and simply aim where i want to hit. at 35-45 only have to aim about 3-4" high to hit where i want to but found that out a little too late. guess i'm a DA.

again thanks for the help and keep it coming. i like the getting mad at the deer post. might try that. worked when playing linebacker in college.

i did make up my mind that i wasn't going to miss any other deer but i'm sure i will but hopefully some foucs and discipline will help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh yeah, i'm going to also start shooting more does. had gotten away from it some but about to start whacking and stacking again.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Buck fever sure is something.:wink:

I have found that you are better able to control your emotions after shooting more deer.

It is tough to shoot more deer though if you cannot control the fever better.......pretty tough circle.:)

One thing that helped me a lot was to find a place that raised deer in captivity, and go watch them from close range. Seriously, when I was in my early 20`s I used to drive two hours from home and walk around a little wildlife sanctuary that had several BIG bucks. Just being close to the darn things really helped to settle my nerves when I would see deer from the stand.

Worked for me anyhow.:)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Some guy's say stop looking at his head gear when u have decided u want to take him.
That never worked for me.
I get mad at the deer. I tell myself im gonna kill u deer, im gonna stick this arrow right through ur ribs. Ur as good as mine deer.
I dont know why, but this helps me from getting nervous.
I kinda do the same thing, even with does. I just either whisper or metally think, to tell you the truth I don't really know which one, it just ahppesn. But anyway I just basically start talking to the deer and myself to keep me focused. Tends to help me out, but then again I straight missed a big boy at the begining off the season. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
If you carry a sugar packet and eat one that will help as the reason you have the "rush" is from your adrenal gland kicking in and loading your system with adrenaline

I get them early season, first deer and if its cold outside and I am on the close to being cold.

But when i get them I just try to breath deep breaths in and out if the deer isn't downwind. That helps

Its also why most people hunt

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
In high pressure sports like golf you'll find the best players have a pre shot routine. They run a mental image of the shot in their head while standing behind the ball. Get the feeling of a steady pin, good release, see the arrow slicing through the deer, hear it, watch him jump and run off. This should take you a second or two to run through your head and it will get you comfortable with success instead of fearing it. Then when it's time for the shot follow a routine like, pick a spot, hold steady, follow through.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You'll have to learn to think of it as just another target. Concentrate on the vitals, not the rack. Once you've identified it as an animal you want to kill, you need to focus. Don't let yourself get anxious. steady your breathing and take the time to make one good shot. You have all the time in the world to get the shakes or whatever after you make the shot.
It's basically all about discipline. You can do it.
Good luck.

Basically my thoughts on it.

One important factor is missing from this though...any form of "target panic" stems from a fear of missing the target. Practice, practice, practice and then practice more, until you are totally confident in your equipment and shooting...the shot should be natural.

My Dad has severe "deer fever", so bad he quit bowhunting as not to wound deer. He said he shakes uncontrolably, be it a small doe or a good buck. I've been trying to work on getting him back into it, but so far its a no go.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts