Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found these elk sheds last weekend while turkey hunting in South Dakota. The partial antler looks like it was broken in half before it was dropped. I am curious what kinda of potential it may have had for total size if it were whole. Does anyone know if there are any online size charts where you can kinda guess based on the size of part of an antler what the whole thing might have been?

Here are some photos in case anyone wants to make a guess. The two brown antlers are a matching set, they are just laying funny in the photo.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Aint a whole lot of evidence left, but it looks to be short-tined and beamed (judging by the short distance between the G2 and G3 - not worth alot other than opinion) I'd say it belonged to a 260-290 bull.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The broken one looks like a pretty good bull. However, the other two don't look like a match set to me??

They are, they just look funny in the photo the way they laid on the ground in the photo. They were sitting 10 yards apart where we found them. :)

I'll take some actual measurements later and post them up, see if that helps anyone make a guess.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I would say 270-280" bull if it was a 6x6 and had average width. (This is based on the comparable tine length of the ones sitting next to it.) He does look somewhat heavy but he also looks pretty short in terms of tine length.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got home and pulled out a tape measure.

G1: 10.5"
G2: 11"
G3: 10.75"

Circumferences:
Base: 10-10.5"
Between G1 and G2: 8"
Between G2 and G3: 6.75"
Above G3: 6"

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Just got home and pulled out a tape measure.

G1: 10.5"
G2: 11"
G3: 10.75"

Circumferences:
Base: 10-10.5"
Between G1 and G2: 8"
Between G2 and G3: 6.75"
Above G3: 6"
I might be on the high end. :D

I gave a similar shed to my dad that had 20" brows. It is now a really cool door handle.:)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I too have a hard time thinking it is a pair even if they were close together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts