Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to archery. My current bow is the only modern bow I have owned. It is a 2006 Tribute. I have tried to do everything I could to make the bow the best it could be. I installed Bob Lambeth grips, had it super tuned by Terminal Velocity, new strings/cables.

My question is:

I keep getting "new-bow-itis". I would HAVE TO sell/trade the Tribby to get a new bow. Are any of the new Bowtechs like the General/Admiral really that much better?

I need a pretty fast/but forgiving bow since my draw is 27 1/2" and I shoot 61 1/2 Lbs. Right now I am getting about 270ish FPS with a 357 grain arrow.

My bow is great is far as I am concerned. I have learned to shoot it well enough to hunt. It seems pretty quiet. I know since Michael tuned it it is probably as good as it can be.

Oh, and real kicker is I am a lefty in a small town, so its not like I can just go out and shoot the new bows to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jonrobinson

· Registered
3,141 Posts
If you are happy with it,shoot well with it,KEEP IT!

I am a lefty as well and I have owned Tributes over the last couple of years.They are in my opinion one of the best bows Bowtech ever made.

The new bows have made some changes as far as draw length adjustments,speed,etc.But if you feel confident with the Tribute and how you shoot it don't rush to get rid of it.

· Registered
2,526 Posts
I own an 06 Tribute. I bought an Admiral last weekend.

I will be keeping the Tribute until it dies. If I had to get rid of the Tribute to buy the Admiral. I'd have kept the Tribute.

So, if you can keep the Tribute and buy a new 09, go for it.

If not, hang on to one of the best bows ever made.

· THE BAR Bartender
21,417 Posts
I was intrigued by the 82nd but.............kept my Tributes.:)

· Registered
9,862 Posts
I gave away my Tribute to my brother last summer so I ordered it's replacement after shooting the Admiral yesterday. I truly think the Admiral is a better bow. Less recoil and less noise with the ability to work on the bow without a press. One thing I will do will be to install a softer rubber silencer on the Admiral's string stopper, it seemed a bit too hard and I think it was the only source of noise at the shot. The Tribute that I had, had the charistic limb rebound noise of the parallel linbs. The factory limb dampners helped but Limb Savers helped even more. No need for any of that on the Admiral with the Center Pocket design:wink: It used to be called the Center Pivot design but now they don't pivot on the '09's

You'll like your new Admiral:tongue:

· Registered
9,862 Posts
Save your money and don't fall for the hype...what you have is as good as it gets! IMO
"
My question is:

I keep getting "new-bow-itis". I would HAVE TO sell/trade the Tribby to get a new bow. Are any of the new Bowtechs like the General/Admiral really that much better? "

You must not have read his statement of having the "itch":wink:

The itch is only cured with the new bow that is destined to be the winner of all the new head to head bow tests for '09.

· Registered
9,862 Posts
I took some measurements yeaterday while sooting the Admiral and the limb tip movement follows the General's last year. Total limb tip movement on a 29 inch draw Admiral is 2 3/4 inches or 1 3/8 inches for each limb. I measured my 29 inch draw Tribute and it had 4 inches overall limb tip movement for 2 inches of movement on each limb tip. The Admiral has the Tribute beat in every department:wink:

· Registered
727 Posts
Don't do it!

I can speak from experience, a new bow definately scratches the itch.

For a short period of time, that new bow will outperform every bow you have ever laid eyes on or shot. After two or three weeks, the new bow is still the schnizzle. Awesome stuff, nobody else's bow will come close and nearly everybody else who shoots another bow should be considered deprived.

About 6 or 8 weeks into the "new" bow experience you may and I say "may" start to find some small fault with it that you previously did not notice. With time, you might start to wonder if it really is that much quieter than your old bow. Could it even be a frog hair louder--naw.

A visit from your buddy w the chronograph brings to light a measly 5 fps gain over the old bow. You privately wonder where the 30 fps you were supposed to gain went to.

You know the honeymoon is over when you start to risign yourself to the thought process that "I have a pretty nice bow and it will have to do until I can afford to get a new one"!

My point being is that you might be better off temporarily swapping bows with a buddy so after the new wears off, you can get your old war horse back and go hunting!

· Registered
9,862 Posts
I can speak from experience, a new bow definately scratches the itch.

For a short period of time, that new bow will outperform every bow you have ever laid eyes on or shot. After two or three weeks, the new bow is still the schnizzle. Awesome stuff, nobody else's bow will come close and nearly everybody else who shoots another bow should be considered deprived.

About 6 or 8 weeks into the "new" bow experience you may and I say "may" start to find some small fault with it that you previously did not notice. With time, you might start to wonder if it really is that much quieter than your old bow. Could it even be a frog hair louder--naw.

A visit from your buddy w the chronograph brings to light a measly 5 fps gain over the old bow. You privately wonder where the 30 fps you were supposed to gain went to.

You know the honeymoon is over when you start to risign yourself to the thought process that "I have a pretty nice bow and it will have to do until I can afford to get a new one"!

My point being is that you might be better off temporarily swapping bows with a buddy so after the new wears off, you can get your old war horse back and go hunting!

Ha, I can hunt with any bow, it don't take much of a bow to make a 20 yard shot. Incremental changes in new bows are fun to experience and with that fun, you gain experience that can't be made without the purchase.
By all means, if it means your kids will go hungry, just hunt with what you have and you'll be a bigger man because of it.

I bought an '88 S10 pickup for $400.00 to drive back and forth to work that gets 25 1/2 MPG so I'll have my '09 Admiral paid for in about 18 weeks:wink:

· Registered
9,862 Posts
I forgot to mention that the Admiral's draw stop allows for what seems to be about 90% let off. I didn't weigh the holding weight and do the math but it almost seemed like you about had to push the string forward to get it to let down:eek: It was pretty cool shooting it that way:)

· Registered
2,526 Posts
I forgot to mention that the Admiral's draw stop allows for what seems to be about 90% let off. I didn't weigh the holding weight and do the math but it almost seemed like you about had to push the string forward to get it to let down:eek: It was pretty cool shooting it that way:)

I thought the same.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
The Tribute will always be a awsome bow. The other day while shooting my tribute I thought wow this bow still blows me away. I know the new Bow Techs will shoot great but the tribute still holds its own.

· Registered
202 Posts
Tribute is a keeper

Being a lefty I've had to buy bows to try them out. Thankfully I've come out pretty good selling these bows here on A.T./ ebay after I've tested/tried them. I've tried out switchback xt , guardian, allegiance, blackice, x-force dream season, katera xl, and my current bow a 07tribute with the 08 cams and max4 finish. All these bows are great in thier own respect but The tribute is the best bow of them all(IMHO). I do have a admiral on order, I will check it out to see how it performs. I know that either way I will not be getting rid of the tribute and my quest for the best all around bow has ended. :darkbeer:

· Registered
49 Posts
I also have an 06 Tribute and only have a 26 draw at 70lbs. Was thinking about "upgrading" recently until I was practicing at 80 yards a couple weeks ago and my best group was 2 out of 3 arrows in the 3" bull, the third arrow was me and brought the group to 6 inches. It doesnt get much better than that. Not to mention I took another elk with it a few weeks ago and dont think the cow wondered what bow just blew an arrow through her.....:) I may get another bow, but this Tributes a keeper.

· Banned
204 Posts
i wouldnt buy a new center pivot from bowtech.. unless it was a guardian or general with UPDATED limbs. as tough as it is for you, the only real way to tell is to actually shoot one. i can tell you that the general is alot quieter than the tribute (not that it is loud or anything) but when you shoot it, it is a big difference.

personally, yes, i would get the general.. or guardian, but the new admiral & captain are louder and actually ahve more viboration than the tribute does, so with one of those, it would be a downgrade.

also, dont rule out other manufacturers.. there are some amazing bows out there!!

· Registered
129 Posts
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to archery. My current bow is the only modern bow I have owned. It is a 2006 Tribute. I have tried to do everything I could to make the bow the best it could be. I installed Bob Lambeth grips, had it super tuned by Terminal Velocity, new strings/cables.

My question is:

I keep getting "new-bow-itis". I would HAVE TO sell/trade the Tribby to get a new bow. Are any of the new Bowtechs like the General/Admiral really that much better?

I need a pretty fast/but forgiving bow since my draw is 27 1/2" and I shoot 61 1/2 Lbs. Right now I am getting about 270ish FPS with a 357 grain arrow.

My bow is great is far as I am concerned. I have learned to shoot it well enough to hunt. It seems pretty quiet. I know since Michael tuned it it is probably as good as it can be.

Oh, and real kicker is I am a lefty in a small town, so its not like I can just go out and shoot the new bows to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jonrobinson

I have the exact same bow in the 60-70lb range.
Speed mods.
27.5” DL
358 grain arrows
G5 peep
String loop
STS string suppressor

At 71lbs draw wt it’s spitting arrows through the chronograph at 300-304 fps.

Considering 2.5 inches below the IBO measuring standard of 30” costs me around 25fps right off the bat I think that is pretty smoking for a bow with a 7.5 brace height.

The bow was rated at 328 IBO so loosing 25fps for the shorter draw length it’s shooting right around where it should be capable of shooting.

The only bow in Bow techs lineup this year (09) that would be faster? The 82nd.

I’m on the target at 80 yards with this thing and on a good day I have 4 out of 5 arrows touching at 50. (I admit good days are rare.  )

At 65 pounds or so it’s putting the same arrows through the chrono at 288-291fps and at 60 lbs 279-282fps.

Using the same chrono my buddies boss is getting 242-245fps out of a Mathews XT with a 26.5” draw at 70 lbs pull with a 360 grain arrow.

Am I happy with my tribby? Darn right! There are still very few bows on the market after 3 years that can surpass it.

Save you money and keep your tribute.
The Admiral while being an interesting bow will also loose around 25fps with our draw length and you'd be shootin a bow that is slower than the one you have and 800 dollars lighter in the pocket.
Why would you want to buy a slower bow? :wink:
Swwiff

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.