Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you find DYE and to dye the wood for wood grips? I'm talking colors, like you'd use to make knife handles or whatever.

I wanna make two, a blue and orange one, as well as a silver (grey) and red one.

I think you could make it the same way as knife handles, by alternating layers of the colored wood.

Would it work? I think so. any ideas?

thanks.

nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
wood dyes

I don't know if you have a Rockler store or a Woodcraft in you area, but they both carry wood dyes. I've never made a knife before, but the dyes won't color the wood all the way through, so i'm not sure if this would work or not.
Sounds like a cool project, though. I'm curious to see how it works for you. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
627 Posts
if youre just planning on using thin veneer type peices of wood they can be dyed using rit dyes (the kind available at most grocery or drug stores) the wood may curl after soaking in the dye but just press under somthing heavy while drying and should be fine.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the plan is to use thin strips of wood, dye them, press them while they dry. after dry. glue them together in layers, then sand it down to the shape i want.

i'll just have to try it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What about using wood stain?

I know stain is just applied on the surface, but it does penetrate quite a bit. Especially if you are using thin strips of soft wood and apply the stain liberally to both sides. Or, you could completely submerge the wood in the stain and let it soak up.

Just a thought

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
except i want to do one grip in grey/red and the other in orange/blue... i don't think they make wood stains in those colors..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Search for my 3rd home made grip in general archery dis. I did that one with stain however the stain did not penetrate all the way threw thin lam. I think it really depends on allot of thing wood density how long it is left in dye etc. Best wood be to get yourself some diamond wood it comes in bunches of colors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dyes

I'm not sure about all epoxy but I do remember that oil-based staying can mess with the adhesion of epoxy but on the flip side I used to use Kool-Aid soak the wood in Kool-Aid and it will be whatever color you want a non-sugared kind and you don't have to add sugar for it to be a stain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts