Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got too bored and saw too many custom bows here. :D

I took an '05 camo ProTec that's been collecting dust and stripped it. Camo and everything. I removed the anodizing from the cams and pockets, too, using a method I found here using the search function.

And I have some black XT2000s here (90 def so it should be 60-70# with C cams according to Hoyt) so no need to paint the camo limbs. I have a plan for those later, though. ;)

The cams and pockets are probably in the oven as I type this. I have a good friend who powdercoats and he is applying translucent blue over the bright aluminum cams. Plus I polished the draw modules. I think the mods will look sweet against the blue cam bases. :shade:

I have the riser nearly done myself. It's currently a royal blue to black fade. :darkbeer: Kind of reminiscent of the older Hoyt pattern. But this is automotive base/clear enamels. A couple more hours under the heat lamps and fans and I can start hitting her with polyurethane clearcoat. It's nearly as durable as powdercoating.

I finished some blue wood sideplates for it a couple days ago, too.

I only have some all black strings and cables to fit it at the moment. I'll be getting some blue/black for it soon, but may just wait 'til I need them.

The accessories will be all black, for the most. Maybe some blue here and there, but not much.

I just could take any more of the "Sharpie" :lol: and custom bow threads any longer. I had to do it. And the old beast needs some new life breathed into it. And it's hundreds and hundreds of $$$$ less than a new target machine. I can't wait to get it together. I feel like a kid on Christmas.

I'll post some pics in the next few days. I promise! I hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head. :eek:

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. I still have a soft spot in my heart for my old 05 Protec. Killed my first turkey with it. And a P&Y mule deer. Real sleeper bow.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a cool project. I still have a soft spot in my heart for my old 05 Protec. Killed my first turkey with it. And a P&Y mule deer. Real sleeper bow.
Yes, they're great bows. I have a few of them actually and this one was crying out to be face lifted and put into action. I'm more than happy to oblige. For me, I have yet to find a bow that shoots better. It's like they were designed just for me or something. :darkbeer:

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am pissed!

I just applied a coat of clear.....and the blue paint had a reaction. It's wrinkling. Damn! Now to start all over. :angry: Never had that hapen before. Guess I'll just bead blast it and get it powder coated, too. But powder coating is hard to get the effect I was looking for. :(

Maybe I'll just do matte black on the riser. How does a black riser and limbs with blue cams, pockets and sideplates sound to you guys? I think it might look good, but was really digging the fade.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got looking and noticed the royal blue paint I used was a bit old. May have gotten frozen, too. :eek: It looked good, though. Went and got another pint, but this batch is just a tad darker. Nicer in my opinion.

I've stripped the riser.....AGAIN! It's now primed and painted again, too. Now hanging under the heat lamps with a fan blowing in there. It'll be ready for clear by the morning.

Lesson learned. Check the age of your paint before using it. :shade:

· onward and upward
953 Posts
]

I still have my 05 protec and it has killed everything from rabbits to moose so it is a keeper. I only hope my new AM 35 will be able to fill its shoes. It will certainly have a tough time doing it but I am going to have fun trying.:shade: The 05 will still be there as a back up in case I need an old friend on the hill to hunt with.

Good luck on the project buster and I can't wait to see the pics.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, folks! I'll post some pics before too long. That riser is already looking purdy and the cams and pockets are supposed to be brought to my place tonight. Plus, while messing around with the riser earlier, I put the same fade on my front stab and painted the end weights, too.

I'm on a roll now! :lol:

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The base colors hardened quicker than expected and I hit it with clear. WOW! That sucker is starting to shine. :darkbeer: Very subtle fade action with the deeper colors, too. I've even impressed myself with this one.

I tried a pic of the riser and stab, but too dark. And my camera keeps saying "low battery" when I try to turn the flash on. :angry: I really wanted to post some pics, too. :( Maybe I can scrounge up some batteries or just get a pic in sunlight tomorrow.

Cams and pockets haven't made it home yet. Bud said they're done, but can't drive over tonight. I'm half tempted to go get them.

I can't wait to get this thing together and get her tweaked. It's probably going to be shooting some 3D before long:darkbeer:

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about the poor pic quality. It seems I'm a better painter and bow wrench than photographer! :lol:

The focus is horrible it seems. I am a lousy photographer I guess. When I get it together my bud wants pics. He's a better photographer, too. Maybe I'll get a couple of those up or figure out how to take a better pic with my camera.

The pics don't look as good as it does in person, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.