Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I’m back.. the last time I tried this kind of a project was about 6 years ago here on AT. Overall it was a pretty fun thread. It managed to obtain just over 50,000 views and had more than 387 comments back from fellow archers.. https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1884475

For those who don’t want to go through 16 pages of the above thread, here is the short story of what happened.


Before:






After:










Well, after a long break in the sport, I’m back for some more fun. I recently purchased a bow here from asashooter (which went extremely smoothly) and thought I would shar the process I’m going through to paint up my new bow. (old bow) new to me

For what it worth - Recently over the past few years since the project above, (when I had the free time) I got into airbrushing the old Ed Roth stuff.


So, for this project I’ve been really struggling with the following themes:

1. Ed Roth – Old school paint color, lots Kandy and flakes, pinstriping, nose art, flames, etc.


a.


b.




2. WWII – theme nose art


a.


b.



3. Steampunk



b.



Or think really outside the box and go with a….

4. Bright Metallic, Pearls or perhaps even Opals – a little something to blind the other shooters – Hahhaaaaa


a.



b.


So basically team, this will be far from a rattle can job (not that there is anything wrong with it). I hope you enjoy the journey, there will be many failures and hopefully a few successes along the way.

Disclaimer: I do not do this for a living, this is just a hobby of mine, one of many that help keeps me sane with a wife and 3 kids. All paints, primers and clears used for this project will be HOK (House of Kolor) based. I’ll be using several different Iwata airbrushing at pressures ranging from 12-38 psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, lets start the process.. like all good projects you must have a strong foundation to build off of and (never forget) you cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs. So with that said, he we go…

I received the bow, shoot 6 shoots down range and then proceeded to dismantle the bow.






















This is as far as I got today, I need to head down to the archery store to see if they can help me remove the remaining pieces. I need to completely strip this thing down as far as I can go.
I’m also picking up some 400-1000 grit paper today..
Next update will include removal of old surface, prep and primer phase..





Any advise is helpful here team…

Your thoughts on the theme?
Your thoughts on the removal of the remaining pieces?
Your general thoughts on the overall project?

Have a great day everyone.

Page:

Tdc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
I did a Faktor 34 with duracoat and hydro dipped the limbs with kryptek yeti. What you're doing is a great fun and rewarding project and I like the idea of giving step by step instructions on how to do a quality job. I'll keep an eye on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
I like the WW II theme but might be hard to pull off on a bow without large flat surface areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,979 Posts
Can't wait to see how it turns out, love the bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok here is my latest update / installment of the project pictures:

Removed all of the old finish and still sanding down, lots of sanding










I never liked the connection joints on the stock finish where the metal connects to the carbon fiber, so I decided to add a little filler and do a little sanding.









Everything is sanded down and ready for the adhesion promoter and primer


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Primer coat is down and it time to start wet sanding.












I decided to try something different, so I’m going on an edge here and will be a two tone paint job, the main bow will be in black chrome with copper accents, followed by markings and some nose art.

Fist you paint it gloss black




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then you add 3 light coats HOK Kosmic Krome and let if dry for a week and then painted up the accents in HOK Kosmic Krome Copper effect and it should look something like this.

I just dry fitted some of parts to get the overall feel of what I was trying to achieve.


















And here is a before and after pic







That’s my update for now, Next I’m going to start on the markings and pinups..

Thank you for your time and have a great day.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top