Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really enjoyed reading/viewing this part of the board, as I’m a tinker also.
Recently while getting back into Archery I wanted a portable Bow Press for my Darton Maverick and after seeing some of the ones available I opted to try to build my own.

First picture is of the basic frame that acts as a limb extension when attached to the bow. This frame also has risers contacting the limbs of the bow at the yoke end where as the other one does not. You’ll see why in the following pictures.

One thing I originally didn’t account for was possible slippage and made a correction for it by adding stop points for the end of the limbs.

It now works like a charm with a ratchet type tie down strap that has a handle and not the lever type for compressing the bow. Easily fits in my carry box with the rest on my gear for working on the bow.

Made out of aluminum & Stainless components with no welding or machining.
Hope this helps someone else or adds some inspiration for another tinker.

Ed

·
Registered
542 Posts
That is really clever and the portability is a bonus. The frames would work equally well with a turnbuckle device.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Excellent

Like it......................
just an idea you can make sloted holes at the limb bracket to acomodates different bows.

what about some spec's & materials so I can make one?
Thanks

good job.......................:darkbeer:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Treeslinger2

Yes you could modify the strap to accommodate a turnbuckle but with the ratchet strap with a handle it’s nice and quick for compressing the limbs on the bow. Just my preference.

Bilongo

If you can bear with me for a day or so I will add some details with additional pics.
For now the square bar lengths are made from 3/8”x 3/8” 6061 aluminum.
All screws are 10/32 stainless in numerous lengths.
The U-bolts are stainless.

Ed

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
How do you hold the bow when pressing? In a vice?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Treeslinger2

Yes you could modify the strap to accommodate a turnbuckle but with the ratchet strap with a handle it’s nice and quick for compressing the limbs on the bow. Just my preference.

Bilongo

If you can bear with me for a day or so I will add some details with additional pics.
For now the square bar lengths are made from 3/8”x 3/8” 6061 aluminum.
All screws are 10/32 stainless in numerous lengths.
The U-bolts are stainless.

Ed
I'll be checking, thanks.................:darkbeer:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you hold the bow when pressing? In a vice?
KSHammers1

I have a rig at home that uses a short sight bar to hold the bow but that’s another tinker project. Don’t want to appear flashing any smarts but can do another project write-up if you’re interested.
By holding the base of the ratchet mechanism with one hand I can crank the ratchet with the other hand. Here I just lay the bow across my lap and hook one arm over the string. I also do this with attaching the brackets if necessary like in the field.
Then I position the bow to access what I want to work on. Once the bow is under compression you can position it anyway you want.

Here’s a pic of the bow without any vise just sitting on a small work area.

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bilongo

Hope these additional pics with some information are helpful.

If you have any specific info you need please ask as it’s easier for me to provide you with it.
The limbs on my bow are 1-5/8” wide so my choice for gap was 1-3/4”. But a 1-11/16” might have been a better choice for fit to my bow.
All screws have tapped holes even the ones with nuts attached for additional support.
The head area angle where u-bolt is located is stainless for strength.
My bow is set at 60lbs and no flex is seen with brackets when used.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Ed

·
Registered
137 Posts
you think it will work with the split limb design?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
That is cool looking. If I had the right tools to make that, I would. I am using the Bowmaster portable press now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you think it will work with the split limb design?
I see no reason off hand why this wouldn't work with split limbs.
But I would need a closer look at the split limb design before I would say that I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is cool looking. If I had the right tools to make that, I would. I am using the Bowmaster portable press now.
Thanks for the kind words. Any portable press is nice to have available when needed. In my case I had to satisfy some Tinker Fever and to save some money for other wanted accessories. :smile:

Not all projects always come out this good but did find a winner this time.

Ed

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks cool, but how do you release the ratchet strap without the "BANG"? Any ratchet strap I have ever owned pops pretty good when you release it. Scares the hell out of me to think of it with limbs and strings to control.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks cool, but how do you release the ratchet strap without the "BANG"? Any ratchet strap I have ever owned pops pretty good when you release it. Scares the hell out of me to think of it with limbs and strings to control.
There are 2-catch release bars on this ratchet system.
When you pull the handle pressure is taken off the second catch and by disengaging it with your finger you can lower the handle. Before the handle is completely down release the base catch to engage again. Then just release the catch bar on the handle and move it into the upright position and let it re-engage. Repeat the process to slowly remove the compression tension. It may feel a little awkward at first but becomes second nature after a few runs.

Also by slowly releasing the compression tension you can monitor that all the cables and string will be in their proper location. As suggested earlier a turnbuckle could be rigged up instead of the ratchet. Like the one used for putting tension on an old fashion clothes line.

Ed

·
One Shot
9,124 Posts
What the heck, that thing weighs more than an arrow, doesn't it? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts