Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help out a hunting friend by putting new strings and cables on his older Hoyt bow. The bow is a Hoyt Defiant Surpreme, not sure what year model. Luckily the bow has the original limb stickers and the sticker clearly reads string 60.5 cable 38.5, so that is what he ordered for the bow. Also, about 8 years ago he sent the bow back to Hoyt for a wheel bushing problem and they put new string and cables on it, and the work order states the same 38.5 cable length. So we felt pretty good about the cables being the right length... (can you tell where this is going? :( ).

The custom string/cable set came in today and looks great. The problem is that the cables on the bow are actually 42.5 long, instead of the 38.5 length listed. As far as I can tell, the Hoyt measurement for the cable length goes from the peg on the cam to the point that the cable attaches to the floating yoke (that is the only measurement that is even remotely close to the 38.5" mark).

Of course he's a tad bit upset over the situation. I can't blame him for ordering the cable lengths listed on both the bow and the work order from Hoyt (he doesn't have a bowpress, so he couldn't remove the cables and measure them beforehand). It's certainly not the fault of the stringbuilder for making the length that he ordered. So all I want to know is.... What the heck was Hoyt thinking?

I hope the stringbuilder will cut him a little bit of slack when he calls tomorrow to order the right length cables. (crosses fingers)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Crossed fingers

That is the Problem with the older Hoyt models. They had Iso-bars, They had
4" yokes, They had 6" yokes and now they use 8" yokes. If your String maker won't help you out, let me know and I will build you a cable for the cost
of shipping. My string material choices are very limited but I will help you if he
can't. Let me know, Elcheffo :D

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
ELCHEFFO said:
That is the Problem with the older Hoyt models. They had Iso-bars, They had
4" yokes, They had 6" yokes and now they use 8" yokes. If your String maker won't help you out, let me know and I will build you a cable for the cost
of shipping. My string material choices are very limited but I will help you if he
can't. Let me know, Elcheffo :D

Now that is what I call an Archer helping an Archer. :teeth:

·
Registered
808 Posts
robertyb said:
Now that is what I call an Archer helping an Archer. :teeth:
Ditto.... Thanks, Elcheffo, for making our genre of sportmen look good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow ELCHEFFO, I'm stunned by your generosity! Thanks a ton for the offer! We'll contact the stringbuilder today, but I'll definitely keep your offer in mind.

That's the spirit and fellowship that makes AT great! I'm glad to be a part of this forum, and wish that I had more to offer everyone in return.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.